C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- New Product ! - Enter destinations in NAV while driving with Navigation Commander !

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default - New Product ! - Enter destinations in NAV while driving with Navigation Commander !

Introducing the

Sunset Orange Creations -- Corvette Navigation Commander !

Continuing with my Sunset Orange Creations Commander lineup of products I have developed this revolutionary new controller.

This is a new product that I have created that allows you to enter destinations and addresses in your factory Navigation system while driving. No more locked out destination and address screens while driving.

Nav Commander will give you approximately two minutes of time to enter you destination or do a search while moving. The gps antenna will take over after a few minutes "timeout" and hides the buttons, but you can just push the Trip / keyfob / or rocker switch button again to allow you to continue. No data is lost from your search so you will be able to continue your input or search.
I am actively working on a fix to the "timeout" .

This product will have a few versions available.

Option 1: $100 plus shipping, Dash DIC Trip button activation.

With a press of the Trip button on the DIC you enable the NAV Commander and then can input navigation destinations or addresses while moving!

Option 2: $70 plus shipping, Wireless keyfob activation.

For those who dont want the Trip DIC button control I have the wireless keyfob control. With a press of the keyfob remote you enable the NAV Commander and then can input navigation destinations or addresses while moving!

This product makes no permanent modifications to the car. You can remove the NAV Commander and return the car to stock easily. You will need to remove the console and access the back of the Navigation head unit to install the wiring harness.

Get your NAV Commander and take full Command of your Corvette Navigation system!

Order Here ---- > Navigation Commander

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 05-09-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great idea and product! I hate to think of the hours of R & D that went into this. People have been complaining about this feature of the Nav.since the '05's came out. Your's is the first solution I've heard of.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Were you aware that the existing system allows you to enter over 100 destinations that can be selected while moving? Your switch is good if you want to enter new addresses while driving but I enter all the addresses I imagine I might want to go to while stopped (even at a stop light) and then I can select them at any time even while moving.

P.S. I hope we don't have to get a law passed to prevent people from typing into a nav while driving like we do for texting on the phone.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by haljensen
Great idea and product! I hate to think of the hours of R & D that went into this. People have been complaining about this feature of the Nav.since the '05's came out. Your's is the first solution I've heard of.
Thanks for the post.

CF member "KAWAL" was the first person I knew of to do a NAV mod that allowed entering destinations while driving. He used the rocker switch method which requires some drilling on your car.

I leveraged my Exhaust Commander line of controllers in order to take it to the next level and have the Nav mod activated from the Dash D.I.C. Trip button or by wireless keyfob remote.

I think this will be a cool mod for those who like to use their NAV a lot and dont want to drill any holes in the car.

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 05-09-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do we really need another product to distract people when they are driving.
In my career I have cut too many people out of their car because they got hit by someone on the phone or texting.

Sorry no flame intented I appreciate your ingenuity.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Were you aware that the existing system allows you to enter over 100 destinations that can be selected while moving? Your switch is good if you want to enter new addresses while driving but I enter all the addresses I imagine I might want to go to while stopped (even at a stop light) and then I can select them at any time even while moving.

P.S. I hope we don't have to get a law passed to prevent people from typing into a nav while driving like we do for texting on the phone.
I am aware of the previous destinations feature and use it for repeat visits to addresses that I have already entered on a previous trip.

This product came about after I became frustrated while trying to search for new addresses and points of interest while driving and had to keep getting off the freeway and stopping to search.

This mod is allows the entering of new addresses or searches for points of interest without stopping. If I can alleviate other C6 owners frustrations than I have done what I set out to do with this product.

Ben
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
Do we really need another product to distract people when they are driving.
In my career I have cut too many people out of their car because they got hit by someone on the phone or texting.

Sorry no flame intented I appreciate your ingenuity.
Sorry that you guys don't get it, but, unlike you, some people have friends who ride as passengers in Corvettes that are perfectly capable of inputting a destination, changing a CD, adjusting the navigation screen, and a variety of other tasks while travelling, in the same manner that owners of other cars enjoy.

If you feel a need for words written on a piece of paper to protect you from idiots, write a sticky note to yourself and plaster it on your dash.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
Sorry that you guys don't get it, but, unlike you, some people have friends who ride as passengers in Corvettes that are perfectly capable of inputting a destination, changing a CD, adjusting the navigation screen, and a variety of other tasks while travelling, in the same manner that owners of other cars enjoy.

If you feel a need for words written on a piece of paper to protect you from idiots, write a sticky note to yourself and plaster it on your dash.

Unfortunately you are in a minority, Glad you have a co pilot.
Most people, talk,textand put on makeup are alone, No one is saying he should have his product or no one should buy it.

I guess you feel we shouldn't have laws to protect us from Idiots!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I like your idea of using the Trip button on the DIC. That saves having to install another switch somewhere.

Can you describe your system a bit more? You must have some sort of interface with the DIC wiring? It sounds like you must provide connectors to allow no cutting of the factory wires? If so, are you using the same connectors I found to connect into the Delphi Micro Pack 100? Those are hard to locate. Here's the link for my do-it-yourself modification:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

But with mine, you have to add your own switch. Your idea to use the existing switches is a good one.

Good luck with your project.

Ray
Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
CF member "KAWAL" was the first person I knew of to do a NAV mod that allowed entering destinations while driving. He used the rocker switch method which would be what option #3 is.
Ben
And that cost about $10, including the switch if I remember correctly.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:01 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
Unfortunately you are in a minority, Glad you have a co pilot.
Most people, talk,textand put on makeup are alone, No one is saying he should have his product or no one should buy it.

I guess you feel we shouldn't have laws to protect us from Idiots!!!
I agree that there are many distracted drivers out there. People need to
pay attention to driving first and the other things second.

I appreciate all opinions and value yours. Thanks for your input.

Ben
Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kawal
I like your idea of using the Trip button on the DIC. That saves having to install another switch somewhere.

Can you describe your system a bit more? You must have some sort of interface with the DIC wiring? It sounds like you must provide connectors to allow no cutting of the factory wires? If so, are you using the same connectors I found to connect into the Delphi Micro Pack 100? Those are hard to locate. Here's the link for my do-it-yourself modification:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

But with mine, you have to add your own switch. Your idea to use the existing switches is a good one.

Good luck with your project.

Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks for popping in. The Trip DIC button leverages my Exhaust Commander D.A.S.H. technology.

There is a sensor wire that and gold plated lead that is placed in the DIC trip button harness. And then there is an interface box that interprets the signal and opens and closes the VSS circuit.

It is using micro-pack terminals which was how it can be a no wire cut
install.

Ben
Old 02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post.

CF member "KAWAL" was the first person I knew of to do a NAV mod that allowed entering destinations while driving. He used the rocker switch method which would be what option #3 is.

I leveraged my Exhaust Commander line of controllers in order to take it to the next level and have the Nav mod activated from the Dash D.I.C. Trip button or by wireless keyfob remote.

I think this will be a cool mod for those who like to use their NAV a lot.

Ben

Does your "Navigation Commander" mod suffer from the same inherent problem as Kawal's mod?...as it appears you are doing essentially the same mod, just with a different switch setup. Dont get me wrong, it is better than no nav mod at all and cool switch choices produced by you. But I did this Kawal mod myself (with my re-wiring surgery and own switch) on my oem Nav unit last year. After using it for awhile, I still was frustrated with the Nav, I wound up uninstalling the mod and got myself a Garmin Nuvi 260.

To wit: you often cannot get all the editing changes in before it resets,which happens after about one minute. Ie: there is a limited time you have to input data before the nav unit resets itself and you lose the Destination Menu. When this happens you turn it off then back on and continue. The previously entered data is not lost. Though when it "freezes" like this there is no warning of this fact-you just cannot input any more data until you "re-toggle". Ie: you dont have all day to take your leisurely time to edit whatever you want without having the unit stop you after around one minute. This "quirk" is cumbersome unless you are really fluent with the nav system, in which case it may be just a minor annoyance.

Can you confirm or deny this for your own Nav Commander mod?

Last edited by siffert; 02-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
Does your "Navigation Commander" mod suffer from the same inherent problem as Kawal's mod?...as it appears you are doing essentially the same mod, just with a different switch setup. Dont get me wrong, it is better than no nav mod at all and cool switch choices produced by you. But I did this Kawal mod myself (with my re-wiring surgery and own switch) on my oem Nav unit last year. After using it for awhile, I still was frustrated with the Nav, I wound up uninstalling the mod and got myself a Garmin Nuvi 260.

To wit: you often cannot get all the editing changes in before it resets,which happens after about one minute. Ie: there is a limited time you have to input data before the nav unit resets itself and you lose the Destination Menu. When this happens you turn it off then back on and continue. The previously entered data is not lost. Though when it "freezes" like this there is no warning of this fact-you just cannot input any more data until you "re-toggle". Ie: you dont have all day to take your leisurely time to edit whatever you want without having the unit stop you after around one minute. This "quirk" is cumbersome unless you are really fluent with the nav system, in which case it may be just a minor annoyance.

I'll let Ben answer this for his own product, but this is an inherent problem that when switching out the VSS signal, it fools the Nav unit into thinking you are stopped - for a while. After a period of time, which does seem to vary, the nav unit "figures out" you are moving by the GPS location signal, then you lose the ability to enter data again. As described, you then have to switch the VSS signal back in, then out again to regain your input control.

I have used this mod for many thousands of miles now, and while it is sometimes a bit of a pain to have to reset the switch for entering a lot of data, I found that once you get more used to using the nav system and inputting data, it isn't often you have to reset. You certainly can't sit there and lollygag forever, but for inputting most destinations, there is enough time.

Quite a few Vette owners have done this mod, and it would be interesting to hear their comments about whether it was a good idea or not. Of course, some don't even like the factory nav unit and have replaced it with other aftermarket units. I find that while not perfect, the factory nav works pretty good for me and it is very nicely integrated into the rest of the Corvette electronics. To me, it's worst feature was not being able to input data while moving. And this mod pretty much corrects that problem.

Ray
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let Ben answer this for his own product, but this is an inherent problem that when switching out the VSS signal, it fools the Nav unit into thinking you are stopped - for a while. After a period of time, which does seem to vary, the nav unit "figures out" you are moving by the GPS location signal, then you lose the ability to enter data again. As described, you then have to switch the VSS signal back in, then out again to regain your input control.

I have used this mod for many thousands of miles now, and while it is sometimes a bit of a pain to have to reset the switch for entering a lot of data, I found that once you get more used to using the nav system and inputting data, it isn't often you have to reset. You certainly can't sit there and lollygag forever, but for inputting most destinations, there is enough time.

Quite a few Vette owners have done this mod, and it would be interesting to hear their comments about whether it was a good idea or not. Of course, some don't even like the factory nav unit and have replaced it with other aftermarket units. I find that while not perfect, the factory nav works pretty good for me and it is very nicely integrated into the rest of the Corvette electronics. To me, it's worst feature was not being able to input data while moving. And this mod pretty much corrects that problem.

Ray
I have done the Kawal mod and don't have a problem getting my destination(s) entered before it resets...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Ray
Thanks for your reply. Note my post was nothing meant to disparage your work and in fact you were quite helpful to me. I always (like many others too) had trouble getting the oem nav unit to work to my satisfaction. I found your mod, which worked and while useful, didnt allow the lollygag which I required with the oem Nav. Though I am capable of editing my Garmin easily in less than a minute. The Garmin, for me, is much, much easier to use.

I wonder if that new 360 Lockpick unit also has the same inherent VSS problem.

Last edited by siffert; 02-18-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To - New Product ! - Enter destinations in NAV while driving with Navigation Commander !

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by siffert

Hello,

Thanks for the question. In this version of the Nav Commander it does "timeout" after a minute or so. I have found that there is enough time to enter most destinations or do most searches. If it times out you just reset the Nav Commander and your good to go for another minute.

The "timeout issue" is being actively worked on.....

The cool thing about the Nav commander that uses the trip DIC button is that you dont need to mount a switch anywhere It uses an existing button. The keyfob wireless is also cool because it doesnt need a switch mounted either.

Again, thanks to Ray for having the courage to cut into the NAV wiring for the first time!

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 05-09-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Thanks for the question. In this version of the Nav Commander it does "timeout" after a minute or two. I have found that there is enough time to enter most destinations or do most searches. If it times out you just reset the Nav Commander and your good to go for another few minutes. The "timeout issue" is being actively worked on..... Ben
Thanks for your reply! It does make it easier to reset the Nav by simply pressing the Commander button!

As for your working on the "timeout issue"
If anyone can do it, its you!!

Last edited by siffert; 02-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: - New Product ! - Enter destinations in NAV while driving with Navigation Commander !