C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Beach21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan@lme
Hello Forum members,

LME’s written policy, which is delivered with all engines, states that any issue or warranty claim in which LME may be held liable must be returned to and evaluated by LME to determine root cause. If it is determined that the issue was caused by LME, LME will rectify the problem. Even when not at fault, LME has provided solutions to get the customer back up and running.

LME takes great pride in our customer service and quality product. Our reputation and customer satisfaction has and will continue to demonstrate this. If LME’s standard policy of sending the product back to LME had been followed, this situation would have had a different outcome.

LME values our customers and will continue to stand behind our work as we have over the years.

Thank you,
Bryan Neelen
LME
713-849-4505
Bryan from what I've read here your customer service is nonexistant. If you have so many satisfied customers and this is such an exception then you should have stepped up to the plate and assisted this man. Surely if this is the only problem you've ever experienced then some out of packet expenses would not have broken your bank. It seems as if you had met the customer half way (a set of pistons) this problem would have disappeared.
Its seems that you'd taken a customers money in good faith and refused to share in a solution when the product was defective.
I don't know about other people who read this forum but I for one would never do business with you.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

wow, what a ****ty response from LME. I agree w/the above poster. LME can get pistons at cost, whats a reputation worth these days? Surely more than a few hundred bucks. LOL, look at Henessey (however you spell that disgraced name).. speaks for itself.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I have not had a problem with LME, but I have had a similar problem with Wiseco pistons in a race motor. We also noticed high leakdown values on the motor.
I see you have already chosen a different piston manufacturer.

For what its worth, most of the top builders are now hot honing these LS aluminum blocks and they are also coating the piston skirts in an effort to avoid this very problem.

Best of luck!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Forum members,

LME’s written policy, which is delivered with all engines, states that any issue or warranty claim in which LME may be held liable must be returned to and evaluated by LME to determine root cause. If it is determined that the issue was caused by LME, LME will rectify the problem. Even when not at fault, LME has provided solutions to get the customer back up and running.

LME takes great pride in our customer service and quality product. Our reputation and customer satisfaction has and will continue to demonstrate this. If LME’s standard policy of sending the product back to LME had been followed, this situation would have had a different outcome.

LME values our customers and will continue to stand behind our work as we have over the years.

Thank you,
Bryan Neelen
LME
713-849-4505
It's obvious from the photos that this engine had a major problem. You should stand behind your products no matter who tears it down. The tear down did not cause that piston damage. I'll take my business elsewhere in the future.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
bradenW
Drifting

I notice noone flamed me for my responses. They were pretty much to the point with what hunts had to say, albeit without the attitude. I don't think LME needs a PR person. I think they need a lawyer to read out the warranty policy to the customers, Barney style.

What I read was a guarantee from Bryan himself, that he would take care of customers provided they follow instruction.

I am not endorsing any company or it's actions. I'm just stating facts.

If you won't consider LME simply because they won't let the customer dictate warranty issues, you may be doing them a favor.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best thing to do is to find a local machine shop to do your work. That way you have some one local for support and someone to go back to when something goes wrong. That will eliminate all the issues that happened to the OPs engine. Which is in fact what he did in the end.

To me it is very obvious what had happened to the engine, look at the pistons, every one of them has a severe case of ring wash caused by oil passing the rings. Which can be caused by either the rings not seating, which can be caused by the wrong hone finish, improper piston to bore clearances which causes the piston to rock in the bore and unseating the rings, wrong tension. Whatever it was, definitely there was an oil usage issue, a person half blind can see that. Going by what the OP said he followed the break in procedure to the tee, and was in constant contact with LME.

If it were me I would have at least stepped up and paid the OP for a set of pistons and rings, doing so would at least meant you tried to make good on your work. But to just state some BS warranty statement and not do anything......as you told the OP your shop has built hundreds of these engines without problems. No one is perfect and everyone makes a boo boo.....sometimes you have to take that extra step for customer statisfaction.........so nahh no thanks buddy I won't be referring anyone to you.

Last edited by tjwong; 01-29-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Fastcar
Racer

Originally Posted by tjwong
The best thing to do is to find a local machine shop to do your work. That way you have some one local for support and someone to go back to when something goes wrong. That will eliminate all the issues that happened to the OPs engine. Which is in fact what he did in the end.

To me it is very obvious what had happened to the engine, look at the pistons, every one of them has a severe case of ring wash caused by oil passing the rings. Which can be caused by either the rings not seating, which can be caused by the wrong hone finish, improper piston to bore clearances which causes the piston to rock in the bore and unseating the rings, wrong tension. Whatever it was, definitely there was an oil usage issue, a person half blind can see that. Going by what the OP said he followed the break in procedure to the tee, and was in constant contact with LME.

If it were me I would have at least stepped up and paid the OP for a set of pistons and rings, doing so would at least meant you tried to make good on your work. But to just state some BS warranty statement and not do anything......as you told the OP your shop has built hundreds of these engines without problems. No one is perfect and everyone makes a boo boo.....sometimes you have to take that extra step for customer statisfaction.........so nahh no thanks buddy I won't be referring anyone to you.
I couldn't agree more.

It is amazing after reading this thread with all the members of this forum becoming aware of the issue he joins the forum and post's a lame
warranty. Talk about a pr nightmare that is going to become worse quickly as this story is repeated.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Forum members,

Thank you,
Bryan Neelen
LME
713-849-4505
Bryan, not to body pile on you; however, the shipping costs would of course be borne by the customer, correct? I say that because normally warranties such as LME's are usually crafted to provide very little incentive to make a warranty claim. Moreover, guessing by LME's lack of trouble shooting with the OP, my feeling is that the warranty claim is bound to be denied so the OP will likely be out everything-3 doses of shipping plus the cost of rebuilding the defective motor.

For the rest of us, I think the OP problems with the LME warranty are likely the norm which is why I only deal with locals. For if nothing else or reason, I can have my face to face meeting with whomever did the work.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bradenW
I notice noone flamed me for my responses. They were pretty much to the point with what hunts had to say, albeit without the attitude. I don't think LME needs a PR person. I think they need a lawyer to read out the warranty policy to the customers, Barney style.
What I read was a guarantee from Bryan himself, that he would take care of customers provided they follow instruction.

If you won't consider LME simply because they won't let the customer dictate warranty issues, you may be doing them a favor.
I have to agree with this part,most people just see the word "warranty" and get all warm & fuzzy. Every builder,as far as I"ve seen, requires their product to be returned to them for analysis in the event of a failure.....Lingenfelter,Hennesy(), etc,etc.....

What do you suppose my local Chevy dealer would say if I come strolling in with a handfull of burnt pistons and asked for a new set under warranty?

Maybe they should have given him a new set of pistons as a goodwill gesture....but I'm not surprised they didn't.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Ray271
Intermediate

Default Both good and bad customer service.

With the two engine builds I've had over the years, I've had both good and bad customer service.

First engine: 400 small block chevy rebuild, new crank, pistons, rods, hone with deck plate, cam, new heads and so on. It started out just like "peelrubber". Used one quart of oil per tank of gas. Engine builder says put more miles on it. When that didn't work, the engine builder pulled the engine and fixed it at no charge. It ended up being a leak in the valve stem guides.

Kudos to Jeg's High Performance in Columbus, Ohio for stepping up to the plate and making the customer happy.

Seconded engine: Full engine build for a Buick Grand National. Set up for high boost and about 600HP. I told the engine builder that once the job was done that I wanted to take the car and break it in myself.
But that's not what he did. When the engine was in the car he took it out on the highway, took it up to full boost and about 120MPH and blew the engine. He made me pay for every penny of the next rebuild. His logic was if he hadn't blown the engine I would have. I was not a happy customer. The engine builder was not Jeg's but a small owner operator near Columbus.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

he built the engine, first to drive it, blew it up but did he make you pay for one or two rebuilds? if one, that's reasonable. you did have it rebuilt, but it was twice, and not of your making the second time.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
bradenW
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray271

Seconded engine: Full engine build for a Buick Grand National. Set up for high boost and about 600HP. I told the engine builder that once the job was done that I wanted to take the car and break it in myself.
But that's not what he did. When the engine was in the car he took it out on the highway, took it up to full boost and about 120MPH and blew the engine. He made me pay for every penny of the next rebuild. His logic was if he hadn't blown the engine I would have. I was not a happy customer. The engine builder was not Jeg's but a small owner operator near Columbus.
Now that is post worthy. I hope you battled that guy and won.

REDZONE, I'm glad to see someone agrees with me. Fair is fair and what is fair sometimes sucks.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
I have to agree with this part,most people just see the word "warranty" and get all warm & fuzzy. Every builder,as far as I"ve seen, requires their product to be returned to them for analysis in the event of a failure.....Lingenfelter,Hennesy(), etc,etc.....
I have to agree that 99% of the time that is how these mail order warranties work. For the LPE, Hennesy guys, with cars built by these tuners often these are very expensive builds. In those cases more often than not, the cars are SHIPPED back to them. Last year a LPE customer came to my shop for diagnostics for lack of power in one of their TT cars. After a few hours of datalogging and dyno testing. I compliled all the information which was sent back to LPE. Later the LPE contact had me make a few changes and more data was logged and sent back to LPE. In the end the owner had the car shipped back to LPE where the issue was eventually resolved. LPE also reimbursed the customer for my time and materials as well. Now that is a stand up vendor!

Now take the case of a mail order engine, do you think ANY of the vendors will reimburse an owner for an engine R&R or even his freight back and forth. The OP here in this case would be looking at around $600 just in round trip frieght. I know he incurred at least $2000 in engine R&R labor that will never be reimbused. So ya maybe LME is well in their right to deny his claim, but as I mentioned earlier sometimes you have to take that extra step to make things right. By the looks of the replies here alone they have lost several potential customers. To me as a small business guy in this day, every customer counts. But I guess I am old school To bad the OP didn't use his American Express card, he could call them and have them take the $$$ back! Then they can hack it out in small claims.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
kdhand
Instructor

Default Exceptional service NOT delivered

Originally Posted by hunts187
I need to read and comprehend? I dont see where in my past 2 posts that you cant comprehend that I said they should pay for it. But to say that no ones makes mistakes is plain old stuipd everyone messes stuff up. And for all those that cant read my post I said they should fix it but to say a shop doesnt do good work is not called for I have seen plenty motors they have done awesome work on.
A couple of other responses have said this but maybe the point wasn't understood - A competent person/business can successfully repeat good performance. An EXCEPTIONAL business will step up and take care of their mistake(s) quickly, learn from it, and hopefully improve their processes to avoid that particular issue again.

The true measure of exceptional customer service lies in the recovery from mistakes. After all, we are all human, and WILL make mistakes. From the information put up by the OP, this vendor did not "recover"...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Ray271
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AORoads
he built the engine, first to drive it, blew it up but did he make you pay for one or two rebuilds? if one, that's reasonable. you did have it rebuilt, but it was twice, and not of your making the second time.
The first engine was for my Camaro. The second was for my Grand National. Yes, he made me pay twice for the GN rebuild.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
KCS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bradenW

I think you make a great point. I sympathize for the OP, but had he followed instructions expressed in writing, he probably wouldn't have these issues. When I read that he took it to a different shop for analysis, it seemed he had his mind made up about them already.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hunts187
You guys caught me I really work for lme even when im 1200 miles away from them . And I love how everyone criticizes me for sticking up for lme when there are severall other members sticking up for them as well. I thought it would be worth my while to join this webiste since I own a vette but I guess theres just a bunch of d bags on here, that get all butt hurt when people express there opinions.

See... other people express their opinions (the same ones), and no one has problems with them. Maybe the problem isn't the "d bags" on this forum....

I'm guessing this will fall on deaf ears, and be met with some hostile response, so yeah, you're probably right, it's not worth your while to be here!

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**

Old 01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
John Cocktosten
4th Gear

When there are pictures of bad machine work followed with a detailed report of what happened,that over-rules opinions

Hard to argue with pictures.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want some build tips that are proven - check out the LS7, LS9.
Coated, tight, pistons. Around 1 thou clearance. Honing done on big $$ equip... Assembled with sythentic. Broke in with synthetic. Proven methods. You have an example of proven shoddy methods. Way too much clearance. Wrong pistons. Not coated.....

Why not copy proven methods.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

[QUOTE=Michrider;1568745100]If you want some build tips that are proven - check out the LS7, LS9.Coated, tight, pistons. Around 1 thou clearance. Honing done on big $$ equip... Assembled with sythentic. Broke in with synthetic. Proven methods. You have an example of proven shoddy methods. Way too much clearance. Wrong pistons. Not coated.....

Why not copy proven methods.

My thoughts exactly when I stated yesterday; Should have bought the crate motor from Chevy, and you wouldn't have this problem.

Quick Reply: LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**