C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rear hatch lock (key)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM
tww
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rear hatch lock (key)

Hi guys/gals,
My '05 Z51 arrived yesterday and I spent a lot of time making sure all the gadgets and controls work.
One thing I noticed is that the key does not open the hatch. The button on the FOB, the button in the car and the button on the rear all work but the key doesn't.
Does the battery actually have to be dead/disconnected for the key to work?

Everything else on the car works as it should, although I ws a little disappointed that the CD player does not play MP3's. It's the Nav system...Other than those 2 things I could not be happier!
This thing is like a go-cart on steriods!

Thanks,
Troy
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

The key lock for the hatch and trunk (vert) is purely mechanical. You may need to clean the lock.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

It sounds like the cable from the key lock cylinder to the latch is not connected properly. If you pull open the trim piece that covers up the latch in the back of the hatch compartment it should look like this:

If it doesn't, and it looks like below, then the cable needs to be reattached so it will pull the release properly:

If the cable isn't hooked up correctly it's easy to hook it back up.

As far as the CD player, it can be upgraded to play MP3 discs.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-17-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Windward08
Racer

I would agree. Clean and lubricate. Insert the key all the way and turn the end pointing to you towards the right.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
The key lock for the hatch and trunk (vert) is purely mechanical. You may need to clean the lock.
Worth a try.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

all the above are good suggestions, but first, if it hasn't been used at all (likely) it could be the lock is quite stiff and the key is hanging up, not even twisting in the lock.

I was forced to use mine within 3 months of purchase() and found out mine didn't work, too. Until, that is, I worked it around a little, and did it carefully so I didn't snap off the key (that's another thing to be cautious about).

Spray a very little something on the key and immediately work it into the lock. See if that works.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I have the update file for the NAV radio, its about 10MB and has a text doc included which explains how to implement it. You burn it to a disc and update that way...let me know, I can email it if you can burn...it adds MP3 and does some other updates also....

Text portion:

ASI Resolution - Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software) #05-08-44-014A - (Dec 9, 2005)
Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette (Domestic and Export) with Navigation Radio

This bulletin is being revised to provide correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-44-014 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following conditions:

• Static is heard on stations with an otherwise strong signal, after the ignition is turned on.

• The radio is unable to stop at specific stations when using the "seek" function.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO

Important: The software is updated using a CD, not through SPS programming. New software, P/N 15853651, can be obtained from GMSPO. Dealers should retain the service CD for future use.

The software update will do the following:

• Modify the signal interface with the ARS module to correct the reception condition.

• Add an on-screen message to remind the customer that a destination is required before a route can be planned.

• Add MP3 functionality.

The navigation/radio software, P/N 15853651, should be updated using the following procedure:

Important:

• This software can ONLY be used for updating the 2005 Corvette navigation radio, P/N 15263014. Do not use these CDs to update any other vehicle's navigation radio. The radio part number can be verified via the Tech 2®.

• Software CDs and a Tech 2® are required to complete this procedure.

• Use of latex gloves is recommended to avoid fingerprints on the products and/or discs.

• If the vehicle is turned "off" during updating, the "software updating" process may not work and a new navigation radio will be required.

Follow the steps below to complete the software update.

Turn the ignition "on" with the engine "off" by holding the ignition switch in "ACC" mode for at least 10 seconds.

Open the tilt screen (navigation screen) to gain access to the DVD drive.

Eject the navigation DVD from the DVD drive (bottom slot).
Important: It may be necessary to close the radio screen for Disc 1 - Navigation to begin operation. If the navigation software version in the navigation radio is the same or higher than v.1312, the software updating will not start.

Insert Disc 1- Navigation software version 1312 into the DVD slot.

"Preparing to Load System Software" is displayed on the screen along with a progress bar. It will take approximately 5 minutes for Disc 1 to load.
After Disc 1 - Navigation has completed the navigation system will automatically restart. Eject disc 1 from the DVD slot. Insert Disc 2 - Audio software version 01.0F into the DVD slot.
Important: Approximately 10-15 seconds after inserting the disc, the screen will go blank. It will appear that the radio has shut down and/or locked up. This is the mode the radio will go into when the software is updating. If the audio software version in the navigation radio is the same as v01.0F, the software updating will not start.

When Disc 2 is completed, the system will automatically restart. It will take approximately 5-10 minutes for the system to restart. Remove Disc 2 - Audio from the DVD drive.
Turn the vehicle off. Open and close the driver's door and wait for 60 seconds.
Turn the vehicle on and reinstall the customer's navigation DVD.
Press the "NAV" button on the navigation radio, then press the "Agree" soft key on the screen.
After the map screen is displayed, touch the map screen the confirm that the map can be scrolled.
Using the Tech 2®, clear any/all DTCs from the radio.
Part Information
Part Number
Description

Disc -- Navigation Data

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9707*
CD Update - Radio/Navigation Software
0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide
Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

with cclive.

You might try an MP3 in your Nav unit to see if it has already been upgraded, but if not you can upgrade it easily so it will play MP3 discs.

Take a look at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...3-upgrade.html

That thread is from when GM first put out the upgrade capability, and a bunch of us have done it to our radios in the Nav unit. Scroll down to post# 36 for a link to abrimberry's website where you can download the disc images to do the upgrade to the software in your Nav/radio.

Bob
Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

If you try an MP3 disc and it doesn't play, I'd be happy to make you copies of the CDs required for the update and send them to you along with complete instructions. I installed the update in my 2005 myself and it was easy.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM
tww
Advanced

Wow...Excellent! I knew there was an update available for the Nav but I did not realize it included an update to convert to MP3 compatability!

As far as the key thing goes, I'll have a look-see tomorrow. The key was VERY hard to turn @ first. But after a few turns it loosened up "a little". I'll give it a WD-40 injection tomorrow to see if that works. If not, I'll do an internal investigation to see what's up.

BEZ06, I'll give that website a try. THANKS!

cclive, I'll PM you my email addy. I have a burner. Much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Troy
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
tww
Advanced

ok, I downloaded abrimberry's link. I extracted the files and then copied them to a disc. Is this all I need to do, other than the actual install? I have no experience with .iso files so I am just assuming you just copy them...?

What is this Tech2 thing and is it necessary for this update?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 AM
icust298
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you just copied them onto a cd it's not going to work. An .iso file is basically for creating a copy of an image, in this case a cd. What you need to do is double click the .iso file and it should open up a cd burning application that will make that image on a cd.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM
tww
Advanced

icust, thanks for the heads up.
I just downloaded an ISO burner.

After the download, the icons in my folder changed and I was then able to click on them and it opened up a burn page (it wouldn't let me open them before).

I think I'm good to go now.
ISO's are burnt.

Time to TINKER!

Thanks!
Troy
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just make sure you read and understand the instructions in cclive's post above. A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE IS:

Turn the ignition "on" with the engine "off" by holding the ignition switch in "ACC" mode for at least 10 seconds.

As it mentions in the instructions, it takes 5 minutes or so for the system to do the update and during that period the screen will go blank and it might look like nothing is happening. If you're just in the ACC mode it will time out and turn off the ignition and your radio will turn into a brick. Make sure you push the bottom of the ignition button for at least 10 seconds to get into the proper mode where the ignition will stay on, and don't turn off anything while the screen is blank or it will stop the process in mid-stream and brick your radio.

I did this procedure on my '05 several years ago and it worked great - just comply with the instructions.

Bob
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
tww
Advanced

I WD'd the lock...apparently it was just really dirty. It works as it should, now!

I also did the Nav/MP3 update...and IT FRIGGIN' WORKED!

WAAHOOOO!

THANKS GUYS!!!
Troy
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tww
I WD'd the lock...apparently it was just really dirty. It works as it should, now!

I also did the Nav/MP3 update...and IT FRIGGIN' WORKED!

WAAHOOOO!

THANKS GUYS!!!
Troy

Welcome to the forum it's like that over here A GREAT BUNCH!!!

Ron
Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
bterwilliger
Racer

Happy ending. I have an 05 and had the EXACT same issues. The upside? They led me to this forum!

Get notified of new replies

To Question about rear hatch lock (key)

Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 PM
jrhall55
4th Gear

Default rear hatch key won't go into the lock all the way?

It fits all the other locks perfect, glove box, pass. airbag, and console. But will not go completely into the rear lock. I cannot program another remote without the rearhatch key lock working. Is it so dirty that it needs to be removed? If so then how do I do that?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
jrhall55
4th Gear

I should add, my car is a 2005 with a date of 01-05. Is thee a screwup at the factory with the rear hatch key lock?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Really better to post a new thread instead of retrieving an old one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Here's a link to a thread that will probably help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-heads-up.html

A Chevy dealer can program fobs for you.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 03-27-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about rear hatch lock (key)