C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Cal Vert Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The operative word in many of these posts is "light" dust. The California Duster is not designed to remove anything else.

Use the duster, and finish with a detail spray.

I've been using them for years. Picked up the use of the duster from people who make money buying and selling show cars. They use them all of the time.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Great tool if used as intended. It's a duster not a scrubber.
I have one for my home dusting duties and have also on occasion given one to friends or relatives as Christmas/Birthday presents. Great for the ol' plasma t.v. computer screen and general dusting chores around the house.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Cal Vert Man
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weasel
I have one for my home dusting duties and have also on occasion given one to friends or relatives as Christmas/Birthday presents. Great for the ol' plasma t.v. computer screen and general dusting chores around the house.
I use a mirofiber towel for these kinds of chores . . . the duster still leaves wax smears, so wouldn't want to use that on the screen of a TV.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this one from Oxo.
It seems fuller than the Ca. Duster.

http://www.autogeek.net/oxo580.html
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Ray271
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I use one only for the light dust from sitting in the garage. Anything else I wash off.
Marsc6 said it best. Anything else means just that - dust from driving, rain spots........
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mksz51
Opinions vary WIDELY on this forum about use of a duster. I have LeMans Blue - NO way am I using that.
LMB here too. I use it ALL the time, once in the morning and once in the evening. Car is clean for weeks without washing. However, it always has a good layer of wax on it before I use the duster!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,007 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdot01
Maybe I was using the duster in a wrong matter, because I hated them, I dont know if i pressed a little to hard I got some oil streks from the oil protecter thats on the duster. Did you when first bought it turn it over and let stand on a newspaper for a couple of days. You also said you let the strands on the duster just hit the paint on the car and pull up when dusting? Thanks for your help.

John
I agree with an earlier post. There was some wax residue streaking initially, but as it gets odler it does a great job. I dont remember the newspaper trick, but all round it does great...the main thing is not to push down on it.

At the end of the day, its a car not a kidney in a cooler.

Just use it and enjoy the reflection and your ne found spare time.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gsport
and one other thing.. the older it gets the better it works... when they are new they do leave "wax" streaks if you look closely, but to get rid of that just use a little detailer... i've been using one for over 20 years..
Used one for ages on all the cars, works great
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,258 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by yell01
I've been using them for years. On all cars and colors. Never had a problem. It's a great tool.
Just a very light touch. I use it on my black car with no scratching. It's just not a problem if used correctly.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The Original California™ Duster

A gentle and effective cleaning tool for paint surfaces, this legend in car detailing has history behind it.

1989 was a good year. “Field of Dreams” and “Batman” were playing in movie theaters, Pontiac came out with the 20th anniversary edition of the Trans Am, and a small company in California was about to change the way we remove dust and dirt from surfaces. That company is The California Car Duster Company, and the product that became the “cult classic” in the auto world was The Original California Car Duster. Suddenly car enthusiasts everywhere were doing away with chemical cleaners, and switching to this duster, that eliminated dust and dirt the without scratching the surface. There is no need to talk about this product in past tense though. People are still flocking to our site to buy this revolutionary dusting tool. They join thousands of pleased customers who have cut cleaning time and eliminated the risk of doing damage to their car, truck, or boat by using imitations.

We’ve highlighted just a few of the many features of The Original California Car Duster. Also check the Q & A section with Max to read more about how this product works:

Wax On, Dust Off. The process used to make this product different from other dusters is unique and exceptional. Paraffin wax is coated onto the 100% cotton strands of the mop head, which makes dust, dirt, pollen, and lint stick within the strands. Instead of just moving these particles around, you are actually lifting and removing them. To clean the duster and prepare it for another use, simply shake the mop head and you’re ready to go.

Speed and Efficiency. Sometimes you are on the go and don’t have time to detail your car as thoroughly as you would like. This product is great for such instances, as you will be able to quickly run the duster over the surface, and watch particles magically lifted and removed. Your car will be left with a polished look that will make people think you spent hours bringing out the glistening shine and luster. This will also help reduce the number of car washings, which once again, will save you time and money. Considered a necessity in the Southern States, The Original California Car Duster is the best duster for picking up pollen that accumulates on vehicles.

Classic style sets it apart. There is nothing cheap about the way this duster is manufactured. From the natural, turned wood handle to the quality cotton strands within the mop head, this product is a tour de force in dusting. The handle is a generous 26” long, and once you hold it you will understand why we call this product a legend. It allows for a strong grip, yet places little stress on hands or arms. The durable mop head is overstuffed with thick, cotton strands that pick up anything that comes their way. Together these materials make dusting effective and enjoyable.

No Scratches or Damage. Other duster companies use harsh chemicals on their mop heads and rags. Sometimes you don’t realize the damage these can do to your car’s surface until you’ve already used them. Why take that risk? The Original California Duster is safe and non-abrasive, as the cotton threads are soft and gentle on all surfaces. You will also save time and money without having the need to replace mop heads or other parts. This product is safe on all surfaces, and we recommend it for clear coat finishes.

Compact and Lightweight. The Original California Duster fits easily into the trunk of your car, and can be stored in the carrying case provided. It is truly effortless to clean your car’s surface, as the duster is lightweight and easy to hold.

Versatility. We’ve mentioned cars, trucks, and boats that benefit from using The Original California Car Duster. It also is a useful household dusting tool. Our customers use their dusters in the garage to clean machinery and shelving. Indoor uses include furniture, window treatments, and appliances.

Max is an avid fan of The Original California Car Duster, so he was thrilled to be able to answer a few questions about this remarkable product:

Q: I have tried everything to remove dust from my car, but it takes so long and all I end up doing is just moving the dust around. Does this product really work different than others I have tried?

Max: Once you try this duster for the first time, you will never purchase another dusting rag or chemical cleaner again. The process couldn’t get an easier.

Simply run the mophead over the surface and you are finished. Shake it out and its ready to go again!

Q: Doesn’t California Car Duster Company make a bunch of products like the Original?

Max: They sure do. This product was such a hit, that they soon developed different sizes of dusters to take care of both indoor and outdoor needs. These products include The Mini Dash Duster and The Super Floor Duster.

Q: Is the handle really comfortable to hold?

Max: It is one of the features that makes cleaning a joy rather than a task. It is a classy wood handle that fits comfortably in your hand. There is no pressure or stress from holding it.

For exterior cleaning and interior cleaning, you may want to consider our California Duster Combo, which includes The Original California Duster and The Original California Dash Duster.

Care and Cleaning: The California Car Dusters work best when they’re dirty. Just shake them out before and after each use. Should your duster ever become so dirty that it requires an actual cleaning, just wash it in cold water with a mild detergent (like Woolite) and let it air dry.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
nycdot01
Pro

ttt
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

JC...3 pages on the california duster...what's this forum coming to???
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it possible to have a Duster that is too dirty?

I've had mine for several years and am just worried about it not working as well and possibly scratching my paint job.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 AM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WaFp
Is it possible to have a Duster that is too dirty?

I've had mine for several years and am just worried about it not working as well and possibly scratching my paint job.

Probably. Just get a new one. They only cost about $10. Use the old one for the wheels.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gsport
and one other thing.. the older it gets the better it works... when they are new they do leave "wax" streaks if you look closely, but to get rid of that just use a little detailer... i've been using one for over 20 years..
See below...

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
When you buy a new Duster, lay it on a couple of newspapers for 24 hours so they can absorb any excess "wax" from the Duster...After that youre ready to go....
+100

Very important to perform this step with a new California Duster. Definately reduces or eliminates the wax streaks.

U.M.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
Go buy your friend a 12 pack of his favorite beer, because he just improved your quality of life and time spent enjoying your vette, not just washing it (though that is part of the enjoyment).

I come from the same school...however, I love my California Duster. Great product and keeps your ride looking like you just detailed it for days (even weeks depending on the weather).

I have used one for about 12 years and have never experienced scratches from it. I'm sure on some microscopic level it might be, but not that you will ever notice.

The key is to let it glide. Do not press down in any fashion. I usually let gravity hold it down and pull up a little...let the strands glide and you'll be fine and not to mention you'll be a happy camper with a clean car and a lot more time on your hands.

Final observation: Look who owns the California Dusters. It's not the guys picking up hanging air freshners, spinners, beef jerky and those crome lady profiles for their mud flaps at the local AutoZone. It's people who take great care of their cars. This product would not have lasted this long on the market with this crowd if it did not do what it said it would do without damage to the finish.
+1 & my Vette's Black. Nothing a good Detail periodically won't take care of.

C64Lucky
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My California Duster stays in the trunk or hatch area in every car I own (the ones that go to shows). With a black car they are absolutely necessary for the dust that settles on black from the time you leave your home to the time you get to the show (and during the show)...I don't have any scratches or swirls from the duster on any car. Just use it gently. Great product.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster

Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
dmawd
Racer

Originally Posted by mksz51
Opinions vary WIDELY on this forum about use of a duster. I have LeMans Blue - NO way am I using that. I live with dust until the car needs washing and then I wash it. NOTHING in between.

Your car appears white - which hides all kinds of evils like small scratches and other imperfections. So, you may be able to use it and not notice much for damage. Fluourescent lighting is the best way to identify surface problems.
I also have an LMB and have been using the CA duster for 2 years with no problems. That said, never use this or any other product if your car has accumulated anything that seems gritty on the surface the duster will drive it right into the clearcoat. A wash first followed by Rejex or detail spray is in order here!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yell01
I've been using them for years. On all cars and colors. Never had a problem. It's a great tool.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
See below...

+100

Very important to perform this step with a new California Duster. Definately reduces or eliminates the wax streaks.

U.M.
Also....DO NOT lie a new Duster on the carpeted area in the back of your Corvette unless it's in it's plastic carrying case....If you do, the carpet will act as the newspaper and absorb the parrafin into the carpet...You'll have a nasty, oily stain in you carpet

Quick Reply: California Duster