C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the C6 as big an improvement over the C5 as that was over the C4?
Yep -- another quantum leap
57.35%
Nope -- more like a C5.5
28.68%
Not at all -- in some ways each new generation dilutes the Vette experience
0.74%
I liked 'em all; just different
13.24%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Generation Improvement -- C4 => C5 => C6 Owners Step Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronohio
I had 2 C3s, 2C4s, then a '01C5 and thought it couldn't get any better. I would still have the 01 but my wife decided we needed a new one (yes, I know how lucky I am to have a wife that loves vettes), so the 01 went to our daughter and we got a '07. The C5 was and still is great, but the C6 is a definite step up, although not quite as big of a step as C4 to C5. My only regret is that I didn't get the 08 with NPP exhaust and another 36 hp.

I too had a C3, C4, 2 C5's and now a C6 and there is improvement, but not as drastic as C4 to C5.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Having driven 4s & 5s, I feel that the 6 is another big step
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

The C4 is a beauty.
The C5 has a big butt and column lock, bad oil sending units,
rocking seats and leaky rear differential.
The C6 has too many gizmos to tear up and drain battery
power the push button start and electric doors.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
George Ware
Racer

Smoother and quicker.......................Oh YES!
Better handling feel...........................Yes
Much better brakes............................Yes
Better ergonomics.......HUD, NAV, AC, Heated Seats, Mem Pkg.
10% or more improvement in fuel economy.........about the same
Lots more hatch space.............Alot better
Better looking (subjective, I know) Sorry I love all Vetts

George Ware
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 PM
hot4u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went from a C4 to C5 To C6, each was a improvement over the previous model technology is always improving
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

My C4 was comfortable and reliable, not to mention quick. My C5 was a step up in looks and technology but had the column lock issues. My C6 is light years ahead of both in terms of techno, comfort and power. Even with issues I've loved all three at their time. Plan to keep the C6 for a long time.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Rednblack
Pro

I've gone through C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, and now C6 which is the best yet - they were all great at the time but the C6 is GREAT - hope I live long enough to own a C7! My biggest mistake, not keeping the old ones - oh well - wife, kids, and money - hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I had a couple C3s, no C4s a c5 and 2 C6s I did ride a quite a bit in a friend’s C4.

There have been major improvements as the generation change. Of course there are running changes in each generation also.

With that said the C5 when it came out was light years ahead of previous generations. Two that come to mind are the ride capabilities/ handling over the past Vettes. Same can be said for the power /economy over previous generations. C4 ZR1 Notwithstanding as that at the time was a super complex expensive ride, not for everone!

The C6 while not a totally new Vette is a further MAJOR refinement of the work started by the C5.

Example the ride/power/handling/economy of my 07 Z06

I sort of rate the C6 and especially the Z06 as a C5 3/4s rather than a full blown change of generations!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

My c5 was very refined over my c4 but was just plain BIG!My favorite is my c6.Next my c4's.Not a big c5 fan.Big butt,oil seepage,notchy shifting,cheap *** plastic,lousy seats.The one thing it does have over the c6 is no creaking top!!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default C4, C5, or C6

I am on my 28th Corvette. I am now age 60. I started in 72. All Coupes except for 1 Convertible which I only kept for 3 or 4 months. I had many many issues with the C4's. The Improvement of C5 over C4 was so much I am surprised they both were named Corvettes. The only issue I had with the C5 was the steering lock issue. The C6 over the C5 is just a slight improvement over the C5 in my opinion. The C6 is like a Refined C5. Then, The C4 was a big improvement over the C3. They just keep getting better each time a new Generation comes along. With all of these changes/improvements, I do have a hard time wiith them. I have nerver been able to get used to the HUD and on the Paddle Shift whenever I want to downshift I first still make the move towards the Console. I guess its just hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Paul...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 259 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had 2 C4's, a C5 Vert, a CTS-V and now a C6 Z51. I would have to say it is a quantum leap in terms of refinement..... performance? Not so much unless you are talking about the C6 Z06.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Bump:

Interesting results and impressions so far. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The 91 coupe I had bought with 62 K on the clock .- handled great,seats fit like a glove ,low horsepower (250) sluggish take off , glass top creaked and poped too much , glass top-almost not worth taking off- too heavy, Glass hatch room ok. Traded 91 with 67 K on the clock for the 98 with 82 K on the clock ,computer went bad and
it was down hill from there !!

The 98 coupe I had- handled great ,seats where wider but needed better pading and rocked,better exceleration - more horsepower,bad oil sending unit replaced twice in 14 months,gas gauge reading issue,easy off/easy on top that never poped or creeked,better glass hatch. Traded with 92 k on the clock for the 05. I miss my 12 disc CD
changer !!!

The 05 coupe I now have- Better pading and easy to get in and out
of the wider seats, MORE HORSEPOWER and better exceleration.Top DOESN'T CREAK- easy on easyoff !!,handles great,more leg room and
ample room in the hatch. Bought this one in March of 08 with 54 K on the clock and I'm VERY HAPPY SO FAR or until I WIN the LOTTERY !!!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Originally Posted by ronohio
I had 2 C3s, 2C4s, then a '01C5 and thought it couldn't get any better. I would still have the 01 but my wife decided we needed a new one (yes, I know how lucky I am to have a wife that loves vettes), so the 01 went to our daughter and we got a '07. The C5 was and still is great, but the C6 is a definite step up, although not quite as big of a step as C4 to C5. My only regret is that I didn't get the 08 with NPP exhaust and another 36 hp
I think that only adds 6hp, but a cool addition and if my car would have had it I would be most happy.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
I think that only adds 6hp, but a cool addition and if my car would have had it I would be most happy.
I bet he's talking about the fact that the '08 added 30HP to the '07 THEN the exhaust tacks on 6 more!

BTW -- this is turning out pretty neat. I was very surprised that more than 50% of respondants are seeing the C6 as that much of an improvement over the C5. So, I did a little review of my R&T collection of Vette road tests (small sample size, I know). Check out the attached worksheet. Darned if in many dimensions of performance the C6 IS much better than the C5 -- plus it offers some new "goodies" that many folks like. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say the total improvement in performance and (particularly) comfort/convenience is not quite so great a leap vs. the C5 as that was vs. the C4, but I think we'd need a lot more data to go there. Bottom line looks like if I'm ready to do something in 4 years or so the C6 will not dissappoint!
Attached Files
File Type: xls
C4 vs. C5 vs. C6 review.xls (23.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My '93 C4 was my first Corvette, so of course I loved it. My second Vette (which I still have) is the '05 Z06, so there is really no comparison to the C4. It out handles out accelerates and flat out drives the C4. There is no comparison.
Funny you should mention the seats were better, and I know there are plenty of heated debates on the CF about that, but have you forgotten the Corvette shuffle to get into, and out of, the C4 already? The C5 is just so amazingly easy to get in, and out of in comparison.
My C6 is the ZR1, so again not really a fair comparison, but amazing again what Chevy has done to improve the Vettes over the generations. The C6 ZR1 is improved is every single way over the C5 from acceleration, handling, ride and comfort, to the quietness of the cockpit and the smoothness of the shifter over the C5. I could go on forever, but to answer your question, from my viewpoint at least, yes! Extremely better, but I still love them all.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vietnam Vette
Funny you should mention the seats were better, and I know there are plenty of heated debates on the CF about that, but have you forgotten the Corvette shuffle to get into, and out of, the C4 already?

Didn't, and never will, forget the "shuffle." After 4 years of ownership I would still smack my knee and/or head on occasion. My wife and other passengers are thankful it is a thing of the past. However, because my butt spends 100X as much time IN the seat as it does entering and exiting, I'm not sure whether that particular tradeoff was a net plus (plus I think they could have put C4-like seats in the C5 and still allowed realtively easy ingress/egress)

Get notified of new replies

To Generation Improvement -- C4 => C5 => C6 Owners Step Inside

Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 AM
kww
Drifting

I have a C5 6speed and just picked up an 05 6speed. I love the C5 but have to tell you the C6 is just a better all around car. I'll keep the C5 for shows and enjoy the drive on the C6.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 AM
ChefMark
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The C6 is my first Corvette so it hard for me to make any comparison other than just being able to drive a Vette, any Vette is a privilege. American Muscle ROCKS!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all who voted and/or commented

In purchasing my C5, it seems I was fortunate that many of the complaints folks have about the C5 (column lock, oil sender, leaky diff) were taken care of by the prior owner(s)

So, I got all of the benefits and very little of the issues. The seat rock is minor (smaller drivers perhaps?) and the gas gauge problem was super easy to fix with Techron and using Shell gas (no Chevron or Texaco around here ).

I'll have to test drive a C6 at some point to get my vote in. For now looks like I will have a lot to look forward to when the time comes to upgrade....but perhaps not quite the "night and day" experience from going to the C5.

Quick Reply: Generation Improvement -- C4 => C5 => C6 Owners Step Inside