C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Z51 Package - What is it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by OregonC6
It makes your car as fast as a Z06 and almost as fast as a ZR1 for a fraction of the cost. For proof of this you will have to read the statements and claims of actual Z51 owners.

Some of us hold the opinion that it's nice for the money but since it costs relatively little as an option it's unlikely performance is increased much.

From reading thousands of posts on the subject I can tell you that many report that the tires that come with the option are great for hot dry tracks but dangerous in cold/wet conditions. Also, they wear out very rapidly due to softness.

The best thing that comes with the option, in fact the single thing that seems to REALLY increase performance, is the rear sway bar which is thicker than the base car's.

This part costs less than $200 and is easy to install and that's what some people do. Then again, some people now are skipping the Z51 option sway and using a Z06 part.

And, as one post said, you will learn from detailed reading and research that those rotor holes are for show.

Also, don't be alarmed if your brakes are very noisy. That comes with the package no charge.

Enjoy your car. It's performance is very slightly better than the base model at best, maybe a percent or two.

But Please, don't start calling your car " My Z51". It's a Corvette.
As usual:
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Pegging the meter again 06. Say did you ever actually buy a C6 yet?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
It makes your car as fast as a Z06 and almost as fast as a ZR1 for a fraction of the cost. For proof of this you will have to read the statements and claims of actual Z51 owners.

Some of us hold the opinion that it's nice for the money but since it costs relatively little as an option it's unlikely performance is increased much.

From reading thousands of posts on the subject I can tell you that many report that the tires that come with the option are great for hot dry tracks but dangerous in cold/wet conditions. Also, they wear out very rapidly due to softness.

The best thing that comes with the option, in fact the single thing that seems to REALLY increase performance, is the rear sway bar which is thicker than the base car's.

This part costs less than $200 and is easy to install and that's what some people do. Then again, some people now are skipping the Z51 option sway and using a Z06 part.

And, as one post said, you will learn from detailed reading and research that those rotor holes are for show.

Also, don't be alarmed if your brakes are very noisy. That comes with the package no charge.

Enjoy your car. It's performance is very slightly better than the base model at best, maybe a percent or two.

But Please, don't start calling your car " My Z51". It's a Corvette.
I don't believe that is true. The Z51 and Z06 front sways are the same, but the rear Z06 sway bar is bigger and is not "tuned" to work with the regular C6's suspension and it's different size tires.

BTW, I think you are the first one to say "My Z51."

Last edited by RadarP3C; 01-12-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blkc6z51
Here's what you get with the z51.

Z51 Performance Package,
performance-oriented package for
the Gymkhana/Autocross
enthusiast; includes extra cooling,
stiffer springs and stabilizer bars,
specific shock absorbers, larger
brakes with cross-drilled rotors,
specific tires and Z51-specific
6-speed manual when ordered with
6-speed manual transmission or
(GU2) performance axle ratio with
6-speed paddle shift automatic
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z51 - the ULTIMATE Driving machine [ no wait - that's taken ]

oh well, it is still very cool.......
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Lenexa
Advanced

Some owners provide subtle clues regarding their upgraded suspension...
Name:  Z51seats.jpg
Views: 24503
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
FWTexas
Instructor

The Z51 package is the next step down from the F55 package. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I was happy to get the N55 (dual-damping ratio shocks) and the "performance" rear end. What is it...something like 2.74:1.
That the Z51 had a stiffer suspension was enough to discourage me. In retrospect I should have driven one. Anyhow I have a bone shaking stiff suspension in my 68 so I sort of got my fill with stiff rides with it.

Someone noted a larger rear sway bar. As I understand it, increasing sway bar size moves handling towards the oversteer condition. For just freeway driving, where my most challening turning maneuvers will be freeway offramps and lane changes I think increasing oversteer is not for me. In particular what I want to avoid is throttle off oversteer. This is where your behind a slow vehicle on the freeway, you push the throttle down to change lanes and pass, and then you swerve back into the original lane and let off the gas. Agressive use of the throttle and steering wheel can cause an oversteer. Apparently there's a video somewhere of Jay Leno spinning out a Porsche due to throttle off oversteer.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Avizandum pretty much says it all.

"Any C6 is BadA$$. It's whatcha do with whatcha got.

2008 Z51, mods: vinyl numbers.

2008 Detroit Region SCCA Super Stock Champion"
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
tnt71
Instructor

Default Z51 gearing

On my 2001 Coupe the Z51 package only gave the car stiffer suspension. I added it on my 07 Vert for the lower gearing. On the base model and my 01, 1st gear went to 60MPH. 2nd Gear was a little too high for my taste. With the Z51 package 2nd gear is perfect for a downshift into a turn.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Army Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the Information

I can truly say that my questioned was answered, thanks. I must apologize to several members of this forum, for being a complete moron for buying a car without complete knowledge and understanding of said purchase. Sometimes in life, you just don’t know what you don’t know, thanks to forums like this…..now I know.

Major C
The following users liked this post:
bubber (02-06-2021)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Are you kidding? You have nothing to apologize for. You asked what I consider to be a legitimate question, albeit after buying the car already. No harm in doing that. We all do it sometimes. (I'm still learning all the "features" of my phone....)

Glad you got your answers, along with the necessary ribbing. Enjoy your car and post up when you can. If we haven't already seen them, post up some pics of the car!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Army Guy
Advanced

Hope this thread brings up some photos. OBTW, I have a very thick skin and was being a little sarcastic in last post.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

ArmyGuy,

Enjoy your new Vette!!! That's the whole thing about these cars, enjoying them. That's whether you track/autocross them, do car shows, show and shines, taking the girlfriend/wife out to dinner, or a spirited drive down a back road (though in Kansas, I cannot imagine anything other than flat roads).

People on here squabble, just think of a family. Brothers (and sisters) give each other a bunch of $hit, but they stick together and help each other out.

I own a Z51 car, a 2008 Victory Red, with Z51, MZ6, NPP, 1LT. And I smile every time I drive it, wash it, or wax it. When running through the gears hard, I have a smile from ear to ear. My wife was pissed that I bought it, until she drove it a couple of months later. Now if I mention that I need her truck to pick up something (like 100 pounds of dog food), the key fob is gone and she is off like a rocket with a $hit eating grin on her face.

So, welcome to the Corvette Ownership club, and the Z51 groupies. It's all good.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
chsmith112
Drifting

Well it's obviously some kind of model................isn't it? It must be way better than the Z06 because you get 45 more!!!!!

Here is the proof......simple math really

Z51 - Z06 = 45 more Zs than the Z06!!

Last edited by chsmith112; 01-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SimonStern
It boggles my mind that people can spend that much money on something and not know EXACTLY what they are buying.
Makes you wonder when you see these posts... if they are actually for real or just someone trying to stir something up..
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Makes you wonder when you see these posts... if they are actually for real or just someone trying to stir something up..
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. You can never truly read into what is being said. I think most of it is good hearted fun. What else is there to do when you can't drive your Vette in this weather (CA residents N/A).

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Package - What is it???

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ALZ51
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. You can never truly read into what is being said. I think most of it is good hearted fun. What else is there to do when you can't drive your Vette in this weather (CA residents N/A).
This is true, at least for me. That's why when I go to buy a used car (infrequently) I either have a checklist that I walk down, or I bring a friend. Otherwise, I miss things, don't look at things, ignore things that I'm seeing, etc. Either my friend or my checklist brings it up to my "wandering attention." No kidding.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Army Guy
I can truly say that my questioned was answered, thanks. I must apologize to several members of this forum, for being a complete moron for buying a car without complete knowledge and understanding of said purchase. Sometimes in life, you just don’t know what you don’t know, thanks to forums like this…..now I know.

Major C
Don't apologize. Some of these guys think that unless you can site the entire Corvette history and can take apart the engine and put it back together, blind folded, you shouldn't be allowed to own a Corvette.

Plus it is winter, and some of them are going a little stir crazy and going through withdrawal since their Corvettes are put away. I on the other hand drove mine to work today, in a balmy 24 degrees. Who says heated seats are useless in a Corvette!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chsmith112
Well it's obviously some kind of model................isn't it? It must be way better than the Z06 because you get 45 more!!!!!

Here is the proof......simple math really

Z51 - Z06 = 45 more Zs than the Z06!!

You all know that the Z51 was the first Z with the C6-the Z06 was just an after thought to see just how much us old fart corvette owners would spend before they produced the Zr1

Say, you do know the father of the C6, Dave Hill, then the Corvette Chief Engineer, chose the Z51 for his very own ride-now what more you people want

Quick Reply: Z51 Package - What is it???