C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert vs Coupe-safety in rollover

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go this is out of the book (Corvette C6) by Phil Berg.
To provide more rollover protection, the new corvette's
windshield frame is designed to hold the same weight as a
fixed roof.

Corvette even in its convertible form actually gone beyond
the federal requirement by having convertibles exceed the
standard for a coupe, says Dorian Tyree.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shopdog
I'd be shocked if the top bows were made of titanium. Besides, they're only engineered to support a piece of cloth, not the weight of the automobile. Also, who's going to be rolling his Vert with the top up anyway?
But, don't they use a really heavy grade of canvas for the top?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

I walked away from this without a scratch. Rolled twice from about
65mph. It was a coupe, and a nice one at that.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
But, don't they use a really heavy grade of canvas for the top?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SteveJ
I can provide one fact for you. At the High Performance Driver's Ed school run by our Vette club, convertibles without aftermarket rollbars are limited to 90 mph. Now, that would take a lot of the fun out of it for me. I've had my 2008 Z51 up to 145 mph on the main straight.
Surviving a 90mph roll-over event would not be likely in a vert or coupe.

Originally Posted by AutoCutter

The halo has a lot of strength to it and for most roll overs you are going to walk away-assuming you were wearing your seat belt.
Most roll-over crashes (over 90%) cause serious injury or death,even with the new safety systems.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
may also be do the age of vert owners is higher then coupe owners too.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

OK, lots of nothing but opinion...
can provide one fact for you. At the High Performance Driver's Ed school run by our Vette club, convertibles without aftermarket rollbars are limited to 90 mph.
The only fact is that someone made an arbitrary decision that 90mph would be "safe". There is no fact here.

Can't be too bad if it can hold up a Merc...
[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALZ51
I don't know of any studies but wouldn't the coupe fare better due to the halo as opposed to a vert?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
What chaps my hiney is that convertible owners are supposed to go install a rollbar to hit most tracks when there is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that a C6 Corvette coupe is any more protective in a rollover than is a C6 convertible.
Oh..... you're trying to make sense out of track safety rules. In that case, don't bother looking for facts.

NHRA rules: Corvette coupes are considered hardtops. Install a removable hardtop to a convertible and you are also considered a hardtop. FYI, I had a hardtop for my C5 vert which I drag raced. It attached with 2 thumb screws epoxied to the fiberglass. Legal?...YES. Safer?...NO!

For road racing, just get the rollbar and feel good that you're smart enough for not trying to cut corners with your life.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

For road racing, just get the rollbar and feel good that you're smart enough for not trying to cut corners with your life.
Well, I guess I pretty much have to don't I. I just think it is crap that for even minor track events a convertible cannot even get on the track w/o a rollbar. BTW, have you tried to find a rollbar for a C6 convertible? I have and I haven't found one company who REALLY makes one.

I've had my 2008 Z51 up to 145 mph on the main straight.
I'd like to see what your non-rollbar-equipped coupe and your head would be like if you rolled it at 145.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by C5pilot
That would be great if it were practical. Per a current thread in the Tech section, nobody can figure out how to make a roll bar that's safe, effective and still allows the car to function normally. If it's high enough the top wont work, if it's low enough for the top to work it wont pass tech. To top that off (no pun intended) there's no way to add any rear bracing without removing either the waterfall or the rear hatch. If you never want put the top up again you'll be golden.

I've been following the other thread because I'd like to drag race a bit and I'm limited to 11.5 w/o a roll bar. I don't want to compete, just run test and tune nights but most all tracks use the NHRA safety guidelines even for street cars on test and tune nights.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
HoleInOne
Melting Slicks

Gee, I'm so glad I asked for something definitive...

Guys, we all know that the C6 was designed from the outset to be a convertible, so to say that the roof of the convertible was only engineered to hold up the cloth is just ridiculous. Do you really believe that the coupe is only designed to hold up a piece of flimsy fiberglass? No. They are both automobiles and both have to meet the same safety standards, right?

What chaps my hiney is that convertible owners are supposed to go install a rollbar to hit most tracks when there is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that a C6 Corvette coupe is any more protective in a rollover than is a C6 convertible.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Unfortunately the Vette makes the news a lot when people crash the Corvette. It seems like if the person dies they most likely didn't wear their seat belt. All Corvettes are extremely safe cars. I would worry about driving a Lotus more since the A pillar will actually break if you put too much pressure on it getting in and out of the car.

Corvette is an extremely hard car to roll over during normal driving. I don't think it would happen at any speed if you stay on the road. The coupe does give that extra measure of protection though, if anything from flying objects that usually fly around when a car crashes.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

No facts on your question BUT a quick fact on a related topic. The tracks have to deal with this annoying little thing called liability insurance that probably spells out everything the track needs to know and comply with on protecting itself from getting sued by people like you that want to run they're Vert (or any other car that the insurance carrier considered unsafe for this purpose) anyway they choose but then would probably sue the track for letting you and not looking out for your best interest. You could probably fabricate a removable bar for track use then remove it when you want the car to function as GM designed. Although the Halo is very strong there is not a whole lot of material there. Should be easy enough to emulate it temporarily.

Anyone know of any "definitive" study they can point to related to the relative safety differences of the C6 Corvette convertible vs the coupe in a rollover situation.
I don't need opinions, just facts.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 AM
C5pilot
Race Director

BTW, have you tried to find a rollbar for a C6 convertible? I have and I haven't found one company who REALLY makes one.
No, I haven't. The roll bar issue was the reason I traded in my vert for a coupe.

However, ECS used to custom build roll bars for C5 verts, and they were also thought to be impractical/impossible at the time. They figured it out and now other shops make them. I'm actually surprised if there's that much difference between a C5-C6 roof clearances. Maybe ECS could be convinced to pioneer the development again. It's worth a phone call.

Last edited by C5pilot; 01-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

post withdrawn

Last edited by keyplyr; 05-13-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1568464829]I doubt there is any published information you're looking for, hence one more 'factual' opinion: Insurance rates from my insurance company (State Farm) are lower for the convertible than coupe or Z06. This is probably due more to fact that 'Verts are used less in racing and have a lower frequency of claims. I never want to be involved in a roll over but if I was...I'd rather be in a coupe![/QUOTE]
Kind of a no brainer.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Unfortunately the Vette makes the news a lot when people crash the Corvette. It seems like if the person dies they most likely didn't wear their seat belt. All Corvettes are extremely safe cars. I would worry about driving a Lotus more since the A pillar will actually break if you put too much pressure on it getting in and out of the car.

Corvette is an extremely hard car to roll over during normal driving. I don't think it would happen at any speed if you stay on the road. The coupe does give that extra measure of protection though, if anything from flying objects that usually fly around when a car crashes.
From what I've seen and using mathematical formula to do a few calculations, the Corvette is not easy to roll over during normal conditions due to the low center of gravity. Basically some sort of "trip" mechanism has to be introduced in the crash event. Usually that is caused by the vehicle tires inability to bear the weight of the vehicle in a spin or side slip OR an under inflated tire (weight shift). In either circumstance, the weight shift onto the tire sidewall causes it to roll under the rim. The rim then strikes and engages the pavement and the vehicle "trips".
In a Corvette, this is difficult due to the stiff sidewalls on the run flats and the low center of gravity. However, ride on under inflated tires or exceed the frictional limitations of the roadway and you can get a Corvette to roll over.(not very easy to do)
****If you have a sport utility vehicle, check the tire pressure often. The tire pressure is critical to a SUV suspension and roll over prevention due to the high center of gravity and the extreme weight shift they undergo in turns. Monthly is a good idea.*****

Get notified of new replies

To Vert vs Coupe-safety in rollover

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
MoVette!
Advanced

If you look at the "vintage" racing events, those guys always look like they have virtually zero protection, but they get on these tracks.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I can't verify this, but was told at the factory that the W/S frame on a Coupe is structually identical to a 'vert. If that's true, then the halo on a Coupe is something extra and something good.
A few rollovers are a flip where the top of the car barely touches the ground, or a very gentle tip over. But many of them are quite violent, imposing big side loads and multiple impacts to the top structure. In that case the Coupe is definitely better but maybe still not enough.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
batmann
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
In the C5 Forum, I recall an incident where a couple with a C5 convertible were following a group of club members onto a freeway onramp, lost control of the vehicle, and ended up in a pasture rolling over multiple times. The couple walked away from the incident severly shaken but alive. As I recall, the convertible top bows are made of titanium starting with the C5 so maybe that helped keep the top structure together during the rollover.

Try doing a search in the C5 archives for this story.
Sounds like my incident...it was in a C6 vert @ 70 +/- MPH...with the top up. Rolled several times...catapulted into the air with the nose of the car 10' off the ground.

When we think back on this incident - we are both very thankful that there was a chill in the air that morning....we're not sure we would of made it otherwise.

Here is the link to the story...along with plenty of pictures... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-included.html

Last edited by batmann; 01-09-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Vert vs Coupe-safety in rollover