C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chime and horn

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
WilliamsburgVette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chime and horn

Just returned from a five day trip to Myrtle Beach celebrating the New Year. As expected, the 2005 C6 performed flawlessly. However, there was something puzzling that happened. We loaded the car with the usual clothes, food, laptop, Corvette magazines, etc. I'm very sure we exceeded the 400+ lb limit. As we prepared to leave, I opened the drivers door to get into the car and the chime started going off like the lights were on. The chime stopped when I closed the door and the car started as normal. My first stop was to fill up and when I got out of the car and closed the door, the horn sounded three times. The chime/horn scenario occured at each stop.

Upon arriving at MB, we unloaded the car and headed out for the evening. Guess what, no chime/horn. In fact, no chime/horn the five days that we were there. Today we loaded up to come home and as we got in the car to leave, chime/horn again and at every stop. Just got home, unloaded and no chime/horn.

Any ideas? Does the C6 have an over weight alarm? There was nothing on the DIC. I took a brief look at the manual but didn't see anything.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

The Chime and Horn alerts you to Irridelow nearby possesing a Z51 badge ready to stick on!! Take cover!!

Seriously It sounds as if you fooled the DIC into thinking your key was in the car. Having your car full was probably unrelated unless it aided the transmission of your fob.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
RES-N-8R
Heel & Toe

Is it possible that you had your second fob packed away in your luggage or laptop case??

That could explain it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
WilliamsburgVette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RES-N-8R
Is it possible that you had your second fob packed away in your luggage or laptop case??

That could explain it.

That's it! I just asked my wife. She had put the second FOB in one of our bags. She brought it along "just in case". I didn't know she had it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RES-N-8R

That could explain it.
That would have been my guess, glad you solved the mystery.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I was going to say. But what good is "just in case" if it's locked in your car, and you didn't realize what the warning was.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 PM
CSei
Advanced

I hate having both fobs in the car at the same time for this reason, but some situations call for it (like long trips.) But what I hate even more is when the car picks up fob 2 first. I get smashed because it has my wife's memory settings. She's 5' tall and I'm 6'!!! By the time I figure out what's going on and reach for the button my knees are in the dash!

Get notified of new replies

To Chime and horn

Quick Reply: Chime and horn