C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 owner's age - are they really middle aged

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 PM
van halen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 2008 last summer for my 30th birthday.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Life expectancy in the US is 77.8 years. Therefore MIDDLE AGE is 38.9 years. So, figure it from there.

I'm on my fifth Corvette.

I'm 67, but I've been driving sports cars since I was 19 in 1960 -
an MG TF 1500.

I guess I'll be in Vettes until ___?___ . Were I to leave Corvettes (unlikely) a CTS-V looks pretty enticing.

Remember to wave....

Old 01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Glad to see all you young bucks doing well enough to own a Vette as such a young age....Take notice though...DO NOT marry the wrong woman....It can ALL go bye-bye

Back in my Ford "daze" I had all this by age 32 in 1989..(house, cars, 4x4)....By age 33 it was GONE and I was living in a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment paying a grand a month (1989 $$) in child support for two kids...Im finally back on my feet again...but it took TWENTY years

Last edited by The NNIAL8R; 01-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM
sgrinavi
Advanced

48 - First one... Have wanted one since our neighbor brought one home when I was 9
Old 01-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Doubletap
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12

35 now.. first one I was 29..
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I'm so old that I have three Vettes and trying to convince my wife that I should have at least one for each decade that I have lived. Need four more.

I'm 68 and I still need a Z06,ZR1 and a vert. There's little time left must hurry!

I'm winning so far at 69.....
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM
tonysfirstC6
Heel & Toe

Got my first taste at 17 when my sister met a guy who bought her a new 69 yello, convertible with the removable black vinyl hard top, manual, 427. She got to use while going to college along with a gas credit card. Good news is I got to drive it when she came home on the weekends. Loved that car, it was a babe magnet.

Thought someday i would have one but then I got married, had 3 kids, spoiled them to death, gave them everything I never had during the times I grew up.

So this year my oldest is getting out of the house and getting married. Extra cash coming in. No more supporting the insurance payments, food etc..So what to do with all this new found wealth. make my dream come true.

I went and bought a used 2003, Electron Blue, tan interior. coupe, 32,000 miles, one owner. WOW I definitely waited toooooo long. Keeping that in mind I really loved the C6 body and had a yearning for the convertible. Spotted a 2005 with 4K miles, one owner took it for a ride. My jaw dropped,,,this was the car for now anyway. Sold the 2003 bought the 2005. I'm 54 so at this time I have alot of catching up to do. If not for the kids, the wife and all that other stuff that comes along the way and eats up your funds and causes you to side track from your desires if would have happened sooner. But its never late for a Vette.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

There are lot of older, **** retentive types here....The classic stereotype isn't far off the mark. Personally I bought the car for the hardware, not the image. My 55th car and needed a new experience. My last Vette was a '66 in '74 and I thought it was POS hence the long period between that and my C6.. Heading toward 60 yrs old. I don't have much in common with your "Typical" Vette owner and honestly I find that public image a bit embarrasing....I'm a car guy and still hang out with my Audi buddies who tolerate me and the Corvette. Too many owners here are car "Bigots" who look down their noses at anything not "Vette"...Too bad too...There are lots of great car experiences out there they'll never know..

Last edited by Modshack; 01-03-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALZ51
I didn't get mine as a mid-life crisis. I got it because it was the right car at the right price at the right time.

I'm 51
I agree with the above, except I am 49
Old 01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Just turned 40 in October. Bought my first(07) just before my 38th b-day.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I got mine last year at 23 (25 now) as my daily driver. I just wanted something fun to drive. I wasn't looking to be stupid or crazy but I enjoy driving, and I figured, I'm single, have no use for back seats, so what the heck. To top it off, the insurance is cheaper on my vette than it was on my 05 Accord sedan.

Last edited by PCMusicGuy; 01-03-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have owned Corvettes since I was 25 now going on 55. Maybe I had an early mid-life crisis and never got over it.

Last edited by jdurhan; 01-03-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm 53. I always find these threads interesting. I'm glad to see the amount of guys in their 20's and 30's driving their dream. As the saying goes "The Tradition Will Live On"

This middle aged stuff is a bunch of crap. First off, 53 is the new 43...that's for real. In addition stop and think about this. My DD is an 08 S550, and I also have an 08 X5. Does that mean only old guys drive Mercs and Bimmers? Nope. It means that only people who've worked hard and been successful drive nice cars in general.

Congrats to everyone here who can afford to drive what they like. Age is just a number
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
You old coot!!!
Buzz, oh yeah . . . you young whippersnapper.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Timjoom
Advanced

I'll be 58 this month so i'm past middle aged but I learned how to drive on a Corvette and had always wanted one. It just took me 35 years of working to be able to afford one!!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
larvette
Drifting

56 years young. First drove a vette at 16, it was in 1968, and the vette was a 1964 coupe. Still have "CORVETTE FEVER" after 40 years.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought my C6 at 21. I'm currently 22.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 owner's age - are they really middle aged

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by batmoble
Bought my C6 at 21. I'm currently 22.
"Holy Corvette Batman"! WHAM , KPOW
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
KamikazeSS
Heel & Toe

Got my first Vette ('05 Z51, 1SB) 4 months ago at age 32. Would have gotten an 05 in 05, but my wife got pregnant with our 2nd that year, so I grabbed a CTS-V instead. I will definitely ALWAYS have a Vette in the garage from here on out. The only people who claim guys buy sports cars as part of a mid-life crisis are people who don't know the difference between a V8 motor and a V8 vitamin drink.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Impossible though it may seem to you if you drive carefully and suffer no medical emergencies you too will someday be middle aged. Someday you will even be past middle age. You need to get used to that unpleasant thought. When you reach that age you can recall how your present post might strike you now that you are the target so to speak of disdain.

When I was in my late teens ( late 60s ) almost all vette drivers were middle aged. It was because back then only people who could afford cars like the vette either had the money or could get loans.

The past 15 years or so has seen much greater numbers of much younger men getting into vettes. Glad to have em incidentally. I find that many of these younger men can't drive a manual trans, don't know how to "rpm match" instinctively like all my age mates do, and need gimmicks like the Head UP Display to shift their cars. They don't know how to shift by feel and sound.

I find that many of these younger owners are mod crazy and do things to their cars I would never dream of doing. Yes, some older men have cartoons painted on their underhood insulation mat too but mostly it seems that turning vettes into garish cartoons is a young man's thing. When I was young all we wanted was to go fast.

I attribute a lot of this to the discontinuation of the Camaro coupled with the easy availability of credit to much younger men who, way back when, would have been in a modded Camaro rather than a vette.

Pardon my edge but I am getting tired of young men getting upset because they see all these "old men" in vettes. While reaction time decreases with age I think you'll find some men forty years your senior who can out drive and out shift you and know more about performance cars, or as they say, have forgotten more , than you know.

If you want to be among young men then go for , IMO, cars that are truly full fledged cartoons. I'm talking about the import crowd ( I'll avoid the perjorative that starts with "R" .) In that group you will find a cast of characters, and I do mean characters, who look like extras from one of the Fast and Furious movies and talk, think, and act the same.

You'll find the silly huge exhaust pipes and unmuffled exhausts on little Civics and Preludes plus lights that glow underneath the chassis and booming bass from 3000 watt stereos. You'll find "pimp my ride" in all it's glory.

Now, pardon my sarcasm here. I welcome vette owners of all ages and preferences but I am just tired of this.

Get a silly little import or a new mustang. But watch out, if you get a stang you will still run into a few older guys.

Look at it this way young man, if most of the guys in your car club are middle age or older vette owners you can feel more secure about bringing your girlfriend ( or as you would say, gf or so etc ) since all those bald heads and pot guts won't constitute any competition for you etc.

You should also consider that being around men twice or more your age that you will be accepted just like a snap of the fingers. Instantly. All you have to be is decent and knowledgeable and you're in! Among men much older than yourself you will have the opportunity to LEARN so much about cars past and present that it will make your head spin. Yah, I know, you may know more. I had that problem once too.

But I had a Camaro when I was a young man and loved it. Now, as I approach 60 I doubt very seriously that you can handle a manual trans even a fraction as well as I can even with your much faster reaction time.

happy new year

ps. as for midlife crisis I am past that age anyway.....I drive my C6 mostly off in the country away from anyone.....it's for my pleasure of driving not for show AND it is just the latest in a string of performance cars that I've had going back over FORTY years.

ye ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: C6 owner's age - are they really middle aged