C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good is the stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FM
Which Polk speakers?
Front-db351
Rear--db521

This is for the C6 coupe.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chirocorvette
The stereo sucks.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rskeller
I have a 2LT and the stereo is ok but it needs more base. This may seem like a stupid question but can you adjust the base and treble on it or just change the mod on it from country to rock etc.
No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:19 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are like me with 40% lose of hearing in one ear it is fine. Of course it caould be much better even to these semi functional ears.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
Originally Posted by FM
Which Polk speakers?
Front-db351
Rear--db521
I agree with the recommendation for the Polk db351 (great speakers) but IMO replacing the rears is pointless unless a 4 channel amp is also installed.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, Polk, JL, etc, any good aftermarket speaker will be better than the lousy made in Mexico paper cone pieces of junk which come in the car ($120-$200). I use Bostons. But the sound stage will still be corrupt as long as you retain the 3 channel Bose amp. It feeds mixed mono to the rear and center dash speakers. That completely destroys the sound stage. A good 4 channel amp, 65 watts will be plenty, will allow you to rewire the speakers in stereo and restore the sound stage ($119-$199). I use a Pioneer amp. The stock head units are Ok, good fidelity and adequate controls, you just need to replace everything else to get a semblance of good sound. Fortunately, that doesn't have to cost very much, $250 to $400 will turn the piece of crap Bose system into something you won't be ashamed to play for your friends.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the base radio and overall it's good enough for me. I'm not really into all the highs and lows as many are.

A lot of times I'm just listening to the engine and exhaust. That's music to my ears !! I never get tired of hearing it.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
MurphMan2
Pro

Originally Posted by keyplyr
I agree with the recommendation for the Polk db351 (great speakers) but IMO replacing the rears is pointless unless a 4 channel amp is also installed.
I agree with you that the rears are not as important w/o an amp (they're mono) but Crutchfield was offering 50% off a second set of speakers. So, $130, shipped with harnesses. And they're better than what was in there for whatever little sonic gain they offer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
rskeller
Racer

No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings

See thats the problem I did not get a manual with my 08, had it sent over from the States and they never sent me one. I would like to adjust the settings on it but I cannot figure it out.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings

See thats the problem I did not get a manual with my 08, had it sent over from the States and they never sent me one. I would like to adjust the settings on it but I cannot figure it out.
You can download a copy of the manual here:

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...08corvette.pdf
Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
scopeguard
Instructor

I have the base, non-Bose, non-Nav. I retained the factory head unit. I just changed out the front and rear speakers for Polk Front-db351 and Rear-db521 with an Infinity 475A amp. I just finished up about an hour ago. I did this with the guidance of 'pentavolvo' here on this forum, could not have done it without his knowledge and patience. It was quite a job but sounds great. Just moved the 2007 Avalanche with Bose back in the garage, no comparison, sounds way better than Bose which I'm pleased with in the truck.
Don
Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion, but the C5 Blose was slightly worse than pathetic, the C6 Blose is just pathetic,, so yes there is a slight improvement.
From what I remember, as I have swapped out the speakers, and retained the stock HU, the bass sounded like it was coming out of the mud, the highs were shrill and irritating, the mid range, while a nice try, just muffled what it was supposed to control.
Had the car two days and disconnected the center speaker. Made a big difference in the sound stage, but it was still not that good. Replaced the 3.5 twiddlers, and it was better, but still missing something.
I finally got fed up with the system, and replaced the doors with a set of 6.5 CDT's, I had laying around, and installed an 8" sub in the left rear cubby, and have it all powered by a Kicker 650-4 amp. Disconnected the mono rears, and it brings on a whole new dimension to listening to a decent sounding system. Left side instruments come from the left, right side instruments come from the right, and the center sounds actually sound like they are in the center, and it is all in front of me, not spread out around the car mixed in a mess.
Took me less than a day to install everything, and it is completely stock looking.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
I have the base radio and overall it's good enough for me. I'm not really into all the highs and lows as many are.

A lot of times I'm just listening to the engine and exhaust. That's music to my ears !! I never get tired of hearing it.

Besides being in the kind of car environment of the C-6 small cockpit will any of these upgrades really sound better?
I know one thing for sure if when I used to listen to FM I got lots of static, fade and the signal retention was
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2LT and the stereo is ok but it needs more base. This may seem like a stupid question but can you adjust the base and treble on it or just change the mod on it from country to rock etc.
I have the 2LT and I've adjusted the bass for a big improvement in sound.

Here's the section from my '08 Owner's manual. It starts out with an illustration of the keys to press to enter the adjustment mode and then says:

"(Bass/Treble): Press to select BASS or
TREBLE. Turn to increase or to decrease the tone."

Another (I think so anyway) cool feature is:

"The radio saves separate AUTO EQ settings for each
preset and source."
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Originally Posted by scopeguard
I have the base, non-Bose, non-Nav. I retained the factory head unit. I just changed out the front and rear speakers for Polk Front-db351 and Rear-db521 with an Infinity 475A amp. I just finished up about an hour ago. I did this with the guidance of 'pentavolvo' here on this forum, could not have done it without his knowledge and patience. It was quite a job but sounds great. Just moved the 2007 Avalanche with Bose back in the garage, no comparison, sounds way better than Bose which I'm pleased with in the truck.
Don
Greg (pentavolvo) advised and installed my POLK'S and on the way home tonight had a little "Friday, I'm in love" (CURE) at about 3/4 volume and all is well in my world.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fyreline
I have the 6-CD factory unit in my '07 convertible and it's OK.

But then, I didn't buy this car to listen to the radio.
a big +1!

tho I do think it sounds good
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
johny125
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by crescentbeachbum
Zeppelin/George Thorogood(cranked) to Jean Luc Ponty to Sinatra to Freddie King to Koop ....(blues, jazz, rock, country, metal, fusion, ETAL)
ALL are clear, NO distortion up to EAR splitting decibles in my 2007 2lt coupe (the outside mirrors DO JUMP/VIBRATE, though, at times

Get notified of new replies

To How good is the stock stereo?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 AM
HyeSpeeder
Instructor

C6 bose navi does not sound that bad.
Its the best stock sound I have heard and i'am a sound freak lol

But why the heck did they put 10 inch subs in the doors that's very dumb. Subs should always be in a nice mdf box to make good bass.

Best thing to do is put a nice jl audio Hd amp with some MB Quart Q series all around and 10 inch jl stealth box in the back. With that setup it will sound like a concert in the car .

If anyone needs stereo help Just pm me.

Happy New Year Everyone
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 AM
corC6vette
Racer

Bose=crappy sound IMHO, an active equalizer that boost the highs and lows with crappy mids and a fair about of distortion.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 AM
rskeller
Racer

thanks for the info now I have the owners manual to set my radio properly.

Quick Reply: How good is the stock stereo?