C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has a dealer ever damaged your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
bcoggin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has a dealer ever damaged your car?

I think my water pump needs changing and I am parenoid that the local dealers mechanics will scratch, scuff, my car when they change the water pump. Anyone ever had their water pump changed?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had both rockers crushed at a dealership.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

My car has not been back to the dealership since I bought it, my Tahoe on the other hand has been damaged multiple times, 2 times in the body shop for paint.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

No damage here, but I've only given them two chances so far in 35,000 miles.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
oh_suzyq
Instructor

Dealer damaged both rocker panels during oil changes, but did repair them both.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bcoggin
I think my water pump needs changing and I am parenoid that the local dealers mechanics will scratch, scuff, my car when they change the water pump. Anyone ever had their water pump changed?
PM sent.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

I've had a dealership partially unplug a headlight to replace a fuel pump. Same dealer loosened an oil pressure sensor when tracing a wiring short in the lighted mirror. They also loosened a radiator hose clamp while replacing rear U-joints. All of the unneed "adjustments" were to get me back in for more work. They would loosen something just enough that it would soon fail on the highway.

I've also had a dealer try to drive a car while the rear end was disassembled and waiting on parts which meant an even longer wait for more parts.

Sometimes it's just incompetence and sometimes you have more to worry about.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really...the worst 'damage' they did was to kill my battery by failing to place the transmission in reverse when they parked the car (despite my having a large sign taped on the dash telling them to park it in reverse).

I try to avoid going to the dealership whenever possible but when I do use the dealership, I actually have a high expectation they'll get the job done right. My Corvette hasn't needed much of anything in the way of repairs but I've used the same dealership with my Suburban's for years. Overall, my Chevy dealership has done excellent work and they certainly rate as good or better than any other dealership I've dealt with. The worst 'damage' occurs when I pay the bill and see how much they inflate the price for parts.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

FREEWAY CHEVROLET IN ARIZONA took a chunk off from the rocker panel of my previous C6. Then they parked it outside overnight during a dust storm which was followed later by a rain storm. To make matters worse, they washed it with sand paper, or so it seemed, as they scratched the hell out of it. Of course, they fixed it after I pointed out the error of their ways. Nevertheless, they suck and would never get my business again. BEWARE OF FREEWAY CHEVROLET IN AZ!
By the way, my service rep., whose name escapes me, was pretty cool. When the service manager tried to tell me that the damage was not caused by the service department he immediately told him that my vette was perfect when I brought it in for service. Did you guys know that FREEWAY CHEVROLET IN AZ SUCKS?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I almost assume some minor damage whenever I bring the car in. Happens about 1 in 3 visits roughly over the years, so I try and wait and collect problems and bring in a list maybe once a year.
This last time the front clamps on my roof were replaced and my roof is finally quiet after over 4 years! But they rested the top upside down on something and scratched the top. So I bring it in this week for a buff out.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

No damage to the Vette (only went back to dealer once for Body Control Module replacement and I was watching them like a hawk) but wife's Audi had black paint "swirled" badly by shop monkey performing "complimentary" wash. I had requested this not be done - I gave a "vigorous" response to the Service Manager. They now do whatever I request and treat me very nicely - although I'm sure my service file is labelled "A$$HOLE". Whatever it takes...............
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

No Damage but never had anything repaired without having to bring the car (GM) or truck back again to fix correctly.. Sun roof in my wifes car (GM) had to bring back five times to have fixed correctly and then wound up myself redoing the visors that they had put back on wrong.. Total bill on that was 2000 bucks not bad for a $700 option! GM Extended warrranty covered that expense..
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

My dealership had to buy and install a new piece of rear glass after their guys gouged mine during a tint install. They had to get the glass from BG because there weren't any available anywhere else. They also had to have my colored top repainted after scratching it all up during the new roof recall installation. Don't panic - mistakes are made. It all depends on whether they'll own up to it and fix it.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once I leave the dealership that is the last they see of the car. I will do better on the next one with Museum delivery.

I have a four post lift and if needed my son is a certified ASE Master Mechanic.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
larvette
Drifting

Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed, dropped off my C6 is at a dealer for warranty/recall work today (top squeak - replace latches, and top delaminating - replace top).

Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, not a water pump, and not a Corvette, but a Chevy dealer replaced my starter on a truck one time and left a big, obvious scratch in the hood. They of course had to repaint the hood to fix it. I used that dealership for quite some time, and that was the only incident.

Stuff happens, as they say.

Get notified of new replies

To Has a dealer ever damaged your car?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Dealer broke the mounting tab off the right front fender when changing out the PCM on my C5. Fender never fit correctly after that.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Had a small crack made in the rocker of my '97 when it was brought in on the initial recall for a rear end issue. They were up front and offered any type of repair to satisfy me. In their defense, it was their first '97 and the correct lifting procedures may not have been passed on to the dealers, as this was March of '97. I have purchased two other 'Vettes from them since, and no problems; they have pucks for lifting the C6 and always mark the 'Vettes 'DO NOT WASH' on the service ticket. My roof recall was handled without ever bringing in the car-just the panel itself. Being black, the color matching was not as much an issue, so I wasn't concerned. They also replaced the BCM due to the DBS and no marks/scratches were incurred. I'll stay with this one...
Old 12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I have only had one dealer damage a car of mine in all my years of driving. In 1969 a dealer in Corpus Christi TX used the wrong bolt installing an aftermarket A/C unit (It was God awful hot in Texas that year!) and broke a valve. Fixed it on his dime and gave me a car to drive while doing it.

Quick Reply: Has a dealer ever damaged your car?