C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has a dealer ever damaged your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my 08 in for it's initial oil change - big mistake. Car had a scratch in the front. The dealership was willing to repaint the front, but I declined and buffed it out myself. Unless you look real close and I point out the spot - it can't be seen.....will NEVER return to a dealer!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Donkey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps a better question would be to ask about the specific dealerships in your area.

I have never had a dealership damage any of my cars, factory or local shop. Body shops being another story. Not every dealer will set your car on fire, online you only hear about the bad experiences from dealerships and often won't have the entire story anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

The dealer in Broken Arrow left a crease in the nose of the '99. Probably bumped into a tool box or something. I complained until they gave me a repair estimate and a check. I cashed the check but never made the repair.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I've had mine to three or four different dealers without a problem.

I've usually checked the Forum first for recommendations before taking it anywhere.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM
VETTE IV
Instructor

My 2008 came with a cracked rocker panel. The mechanic admitted lifting the Vette but not cracking the panel.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I've had my car serviced by my local dealership several times without any problems (other than the "Corvette tax"). They're not all maroons, though clearly some are.

The best way for you to leverage our collective knowledge here on CF is to ask if anybody can recommend a dealership in the Waycross, GA area, or warn you about a dealership to avoid.

Anybody?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My ex-dealer scratched my right rear quarter panel so bad that they deemed it necessary to have their incompetent body guy try and fix it. This was done without my knowledge. I caught them, took the car to my body shop, had it fixed and after 6 weeks the dealer did reimburse me the 1200 dollars. I won't even look at that place as I drive buy. My new dealer, Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring Maryland, is excellent, I couldn't be happier with their service--eddie
Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Heck yea!

I have had 4 Vetts. The worst case was when a tire got loose in the garage area and after a head of steam crashed into the rear quarter panel and actually cracked the fiberglass. Needless to saw after repainting, I could always notice the damaged area. I HATE taking the the new 08 black coupe into the dealer for service because I know that some Jamoke will either lean on it or drag their fing dirty boots over the sill and damage it.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, cus it hasn't been to one yet! Not looking forward to the first experience.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
aero400
Instructor

I don't know if this already exists, but how about a section in the forum that allows Corvette owners / forum members from around the country, or around the globe for that matter, to RATE the GM dealerships they have visited? Would be awesome to be able to SEARCH for a dealership and then read a list of user ratings of that dealership.

I know there are a lot of assorted posts at the forum with either praise or complaints about assorted dealerships, but it's just hard to access this info when you need it, plus not all dealerships are rated. Would be really cool to have an organized section with perhaps just about every dealership listed and rated.

There are some REALLY bad dealerships out there, I'd consider it critical to avoid such dealerships at all costs, this is important info that we should all have access to.

I keep thinking about the many posts I've seen on the forum of Corvettes that have been wrecked due to a mechanic taking one out for a joy ride and crashing, cars falling off lifts, and countless reports of interiors getting damaged and paint getting scratched, etc... not to mention just sloppy work in general, poor repair jobs, etc.

And how about all the joy rides that have been taken in cars where the owner never even knows about it, some dealership lot boy doing burn-outs and violent full-throttle redline accelerations in your ultra mint cared for car - happens all the time.

There is NO EXCUSE for this kind of stuff, and we must be sure to avoid these dealerships at all costs! It is nothing less than a serious crime for dealerships to take your property and abuse it, whether due to incompetence or willful disregard.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Not with my Vette or Impala because the Chevy dealer is pretty good. However the local GMC dealership I was wondering about before. On my first Denali they broke two windows and dented the door. The management/mechanics has changed right after I picked up Denali #2.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...how about a section in the forum that allows Corvette owners / forum members from around the country, or around the globe for that matter, to RATE the GM dealerships they have visited? Would be awesome to be able to SEARCH for a dealership and then read a list of user ratings of that dealership.
I totally agree!!! Would be very useful to have this.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Man, if you need warranty work take your car to dealer. Make sure you go around the car with the service advisor, let him/her know you are very **** about your car and you will be checking it out the same way as when you dropped it off and expect it be in same condition as it as when left. It may seem a bit pissy,( to them) but you deserve to have your car back as it was when left.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No the dealer has not damaged any of my cars, but I don't give them much of a chance to do so.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

rocker panel
Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
CHARMR
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes but not my vette. i bought a new lexus rx300 back in 2001. a month later i took it in for an adjustment. 2 hours later they call me and tell me that it's been wrecked. someone drove a truck into it. i fought to get a new one but they refused. i did get a free loaner for 2 months while i picked the $hit out of their work. i put almost 10,000 miles on that new loaner they gave me too.

i also had a friend who when to work at a toyota dealership in knoxville tenn a long time ago. the first week on the job he put a camry on the rack and raised the rack. he forgot a few things and the car rolled off the rack. he got fired. we've lost touch but he was a buffoon anyway.

Last edited by CHARMR; 12-29-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
biggn
Instructor

Default re

power brake and lunched into wall

Get notified of new replies

To Has a dealer ever damaged your car?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
akvettelova
7th Gear

Default Broke Window, scratched door

I recently purchased a 05 c6 vette from stanley motors anchorage and had it shipped to stanley motors fairbanks, ak. It arrived on time and I was scheduled to take delivery at 3pm, low and behold the detailer broke the passanger window trying to jimmy his way in to the car after locking the keys inside. It's been two weeks and my window still isn't fixed!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Here's another one I just remembered - not a car but boat. Bought a new Cobalt in 1995 from local boat dealer. Boat came in with several others on a large double deck boat hauler. Mine was on the lower level. Brand new - still had shrink wrap on from factory in Kansas. When they lifted the boat directly above it off the trailer they balanced it incorrectly - the lower unit went through the windshield on my boat. The dealer, of course, had called me to have me there to see my boat unloaded. When this happened he crapped his pants. All came out OK - but the dealer was very accommodating for some time after that episode.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM
armst06
Instructor

I have had only one instance in 6 years and 3 vettes of going to the dealer for work. I took my 05 F55 in for a warranty work on the drivers seat and upon return noticed that my right rear passanger rim had been badly scratched. Dealer ordered me a new rim. I do all of my mod installations myself and my own oil changes but go to dealer for warranty work. Very satisfied with them. Danbury Chevy in CT.

Quick Reply: Has a dealer ever damaged your car?