C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys and gals keep your Vette clean in the Metro Atlanta area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardmix
ONR (Optimum no rinse) is the answer to your problems and it can be found at Autogoeek.

Hardmix
This is the answer to your problem, and a great way to wash any car regardless of water restrictions.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy1965
Do what I did, Put in a well and get a Spotless water system.. I wash anytime I want to, and no restrictions as I'm not using municipal water..
All this rain lately they are still a mess at the moment..
We have a well that we use for irrigation and outside watering but it went dry this past summer. It was very convenient.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
C6 Strangebob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple. Grab a clean plastic pail, use your bathtub faucet to *almost* fill it with warm water, carry it out to the driveway, and wash by hand using a soft sponge. Dry with super absorbent towel. It shouldn't take more than 3 pail fulls or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Strangebob
Simple. Grab a clean plastic pail, use your bathtub faucet to *almost* fill it with warm water, carry it out to the driveway, and wash by hand using a soft sponge. Dry with super absorbent towel. It shouldn't take more than 3 pail fulls or so.
Bob, my concern is that I always like to run water over the car to wash off any loose dirt. I'm also weird about using sponges on my cars, again because of the possibility of trapped dirt. But you're probably right.... doing it this way probably causes less dirt to be on the car than driving it from the carwash and then trying to finish up. A previous poster had the right idea for someone like me. When and if the house sells, I'm moving to St. Augustine where there's water!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
This is the answer to your problem, and a great way to wash any car regardless of water restrictions.

I'm going to consider Hardmix and your recommendation. In looking at their website, I wasn't 100 percent sure if they recommend rinsing first or to just use the product out of the bucket directly to the car. As stated in my previous post, I'm paranoid about washing a car that hasn't been thoroughly rinsed first. Just like I've never trusted those waterless carwash products. I'm just weird that way....
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Quasar05
I'm going to consider Hardmix and your recommendation. In looking at their website, I wasn't 100 percent sure if they recommend rinsing first or to just use the product out of the bucket directly to the car. As stated in my previous post, I'm paranoid about washing a car that hasn't been thoroughly rinsed first. Just like I've never trusted those waterless carwash products. I'm just weird that way....
If your car is caked with crud, you'll want to rinse it off first obviously. This Optimum product can cut through some serious dirt and grime and as long as you're using a quality mitt (sheepskin or chenille) you'll be fine.

Here's what you do. Fill one bucket up with clean water. Fill another bucket up with water/Optimum at the recommended ratio. Use the clean water bucket to rinse your mitt out before and after each panel to release the dirt into that bucket.

There are some Youtube videos of this product in action. Check them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Quasar05
These, seemingly endless, water restrictions in the norther half of Georgia are driving me nuts. What do you do to keep your car clean? I hate going to the wand car wash, but that's what I'm having to do. I don't cheat on the water laws, so I get up early on the weekend and head for the car wash. I live in a pretty safe area, but crooks can come to you. I've heard about some things happening at car washes in the metro area, like carjackings and shootings.

Since I'm there so early, I keep my eyes open, but anything can happen. I try to get there before the crowds start so that I can soap it up and then hand wash before using the (So called) spotless rinse. I hate hanging around there to dry the car, so I usually dry off the rear panel before driving home and using my detailer spray to finish the job. Can't help but believe I'm creating scratches because of any road crappola I pick up on the way home.

If any of you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it.
If you have a garage pull it inside use hose very carefully with door open about 4" in the evening so water spots on drive are not to visible.
squeege water out of garage and your done.
z51vett
Old 12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Default Water restrictions??

I just moved down to Woodstock from Va, are the water restrictions still in place? If so, what are they?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

$15 at Maxie Price.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
I just moved down to Woodstock from Va, are the water restrictions still in place? If so, what are they?
Water restrictions are definitely still in place. Some minor differences depending upon the local community. Maybe once the Lanier desert fills back up, and they quit sending the water downstream to Florida and Alabama, neither of which have water restrictions, maybe they will stop.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:35 PM
cpwills
Instructor

I use a local detailer that travels to me. He does excellent work, is reasonable, and is well known in a local Corvette circle in the ATL. PM me for more info.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 PM
CoyoteRed
Instructor

We're on our own well with a whole house water filtration system. I wash mine whenever I want to. When someone honks their horn at me I just point to the well cover. Or on some occasions I take it in to my husband and let the guys at the dealership detail it for me.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

easy, I dont go to Atlanta!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM
VERTBLK
Racer

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
easy, I dont go to Atlanta!
I've been to San Antonio and Houston and I think had rather deal with the water problems and stay here in Atl.

Last edited by VERTBLK; 12-27-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you guys and gals keep your Vette clean in the Metro Atlanta area?