C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ca Duster

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ca Duster

Good article.

Re: California Duster?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a guy here in San Diego that details exotic cars for Concours shows and big $$$$ clients. I've picked his brain a few times and learned quite a bit. He showed me something that blew my mind. He took a digital camera and photographed the hood of a Ferrari that I thought was in pristine condition. He kept blowing up that image and after a few enlargements you could see the swirl marks which I believe he called "spydering". The owner of the Ferrari which was red, used a California Duster.
When I mentioned California Duster he freaked out and said "never use those things".
As he explained it to me using the duster just takes the dirt and spreads it across the car adding fine scratches to your paint. Remember that duster is dry and has no lubricant, kind of like low-end sand blasting. Now this is the part that really got my attention, I watched this guy send over two hours with a Porter Cable buff out 1/4 of the hood on the Ferrari. He then took another photograph and blew it up on his laptop....swirl marks were gone. I saw this myself this wasn't a infomercial on TV.
You may not see the scratches at a glance but if you look closer you'll see them. Get
yourself a magnifying glass and try the same thing, it might scare you.

Now are some of us **** enough about our cars to do that, YES? But for us show car
guys who are always looking for a leg up it's just something to be conscious about.

To sum it all up use Adams Detail Spray and a microfiber cloth.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Very interesting, I use the California Duster in addtion to detail spray and a microfiber towel. I have been led to believe that if you use the duster properly, and under the right conditions it is fine. That being a very light almost invisible layer of dust, and just gently running the duster over the top of the car applying no pressure. I am no expert but I do not see any swirl marks or scratches on my finish. I mean they have sold millions of these dusters and I am sure there are as many opinions. I appreciate your sharing what you learned.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

whoaa.... i'm glad i don't go around looking at my car through a magnifying glass. i've been using the calif duster for at least twenty years and will keep on using it.... i would imagine that if you magnified anything enough you'll finally get down to the ugly part of it..
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,603 Likes on 1,635 Posts

O well, I guess after using a CA Duster for the last 10 or so years, I'd best stop!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by gsport
whoaa.... i'm glad i don't go around looking at my car through a magnifying glass. i've been using the calif duster for at least twenty years and will keep on using it.... i would imagine that if you magnified anything enough you'll finally get down to the ugly part of it..
Totally! Get an electron microscope and paint looks downright scary!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:49 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsport
No offense, but maybe he can show you pics of car that uses his process for while. I guess that I'm just not that ****, I get compliments about my paint all the time. To each his own.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cyber09
No offense, but maybe he can show you pics of car that uses his process for while. I guess that I'm just not that ****, I get compliments about my paint all the time. To each his own.
no offense taken... i'm sure he could show proof of it, but like you, i'm not that **** either.... to the "naked" eye my car looks just fine...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My bad

Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is right and I have said it all along that the California Duster is not a good idea.
When you think about it, that thing just keeps on picking up dust and dirt particles over time and you keep rubbing that s#*t over your paint again and again.
When I need to remove a fine coating of dust I use a disposable Swiffer Duster with the extension handle. When I'm done going over the paint I use it to remove the brake dust from the wheels then I toss it.
Less chance of scratching since you are using a fresh one every time.
That concludes todays detailing tip.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have been using the dusters for at least 15 years. That covers 3 Vettes and a show 91 454SS pick up. If used right they are fine.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
O well, I guess after using a CA Duster for the last 10 or so years, I'd best stop!
All my cars are black. I've been a careful user of the Calif. Duster for at least 10 years and I think it's a great tool. No way I'm giving it up!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

you need to use the ca duster bye going in one direction only not back and forthy?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

No possible way "swirl marks" come from a duster, unless you don't know how to properly use one. Sounds like something in the way he washes to me. I've used them on all my Black vehicles for years and it's never been an issue.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:43 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

I just used mine after having very light road salt residue on the car and now I think the duster is toast! Used it and was spreading more residue all over the car! Can't wash them either, I believe?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
I just used mine after having very light road salt residue on the car and now I think the duster is toast! Used it and was spreading more residue all over the car! Can't wash them either, I believe?
Salt is an abrasive, not a good idea to use one for that.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The California Dusters are meant to remove dirt via static electricity,not be used to drag across the paint. When used gently and properly they work well,and I too have been using them for years before I put on my car cover each day at work. Any microscopic scratches that might be caused as mentioned above are easily removed using a Porter Cable,and are far outweighed by the potential damage from UV and bird droppings on sunbaked paint! Happy detailing!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
They can be washed, but if you misedused it to push salt around I would get a new one. The dusters have a form of Parefin <sp> in them and I would think the salt residue will never FULLY come out.

Get notified of new replies

To Ca Duster

Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California Dusters work great when used properly, but that dosen't mean they could never leave minor surface scratches on the Clear coat. Even though I can't see any scratches, I assume they are there and I go over my cars at least once a year with a buffer using 3M products. And yes, throughout the year I use spray detail and a microfiber regularly.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I figured that out all by myself.Haven't used the one in my garage in a couple of years.It sits there...gathering dust!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:49 PM
boardroomjimmy
Racer

I will never use a california duster ever again on a black car. Speaking from my personal experience. Maybe it wasn't responsible for the fine scratches, maybe it was. I doubt it helped.

Quick Reply: Ca Duster