C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Statement on Administration Providing Bridge Loan to Domestic Auto Industry

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I think part of the deal is that if GM does not become profitable in 3 months, they have to repay the "loan".
If they are not already in Chapter 11 by then, having to pay the money back will probably put them there.
They still have to make serious changes in cost structure, including cutting wages, in the next 3 months.
Almost all other companies are having to cancel raises, and face layoffs or pay cuts, so why not the auto makers?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
CNN reported today that the UAW will not make any further concessions in 2009. The plan all the time was to kick the problem down the road until January 2009 when a very pro Democratic Congress and President will likely be far more favorable to the UAW position. This is going to get interesting. There's wasn't much public support for this initial bailout package and there will be far less for additional outlays.

Yup, they are already spinning the news as the big bad republican senators are after the poor working mans last dime.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plan all the time was to kick the problem down the road until January 2009 when a very pro Democratic Congress and President will likely be far more favorable to the UAW position.
Kick it down the road until Obama, yes. I really don't think that the UAW is the biggest problem here but they do need to get rid of the job bank, etc. Obama is not going to be as blindly favorable to the UAW as many here seem to believe he'll be. I'm just amazed that Bush bothered to do this, especially considering his statements lately.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I sincerely hope GM can pull this off.
I agree, this needs to work !
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber09
I agree, this needs to work !
The problem is how??? When legacy costs are counted, GM is stuck with a labor rate of $73/hr compared to the mid $40s for their Japanese competition, and the UAW refuses to budge on their GM contract. Moreover, GM can't charge a premium for their cars because of their quality history. So what's the solution?

If Congress gives GM another $10B in Sept/Oct 2009, there will be a taxpayers uprising, regardless of how the clowns in Washington try to spin it.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM
V-Dub
Racer

Originally Posted by love my car
I think it comes down to someone walking in to buy a car right?That person has to feel good about his job.Unless we fix the job market its not going to matter,Id love to buy a new silverado,with the prices its a great time to buy.But untill the economy improves i will hold on to my 1999 silverado with 130,000 miles,sad to say......................
FINALLY someone said it! Reading through this whole thread and it took 36 posts to point that out!

V-Dub
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

The problem is how??? When legacy costs are counted, GM is stuck with a labor rate of $73/hr compared to the mid $40s for their Japanese competition, and the UAW refuses to budge on their GM contract. Moreover, GM can't charge a premium for their cars because of their quality history. So what's the solution?

If Congress gives GM another $10B in Sept/Oct 2009, there will be a taxpayers uprising, regardless of how the clowns in Washington try to spin it.
.... the only thing that really torques me is the billions and billions simply tossed at banks and Wall Street firms. Where the hell was their plan to do anything but take money from the govt. These are same bunch of crooks that SCREAM when anyone talks about regulating them closer!! How much was AGI given with ZERO plan? Bottom line is when you fork over billions of taxpayers money there should be a concrete plan BEFORE one dime is given out......
Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hope you are right...

Originally Posted by carnut08
See my thread with the details. The plan will work fine.
There was so much GM could have done to avoid their situation.
I just heard the union boss on the news tonight; he said he doesnt want to see GM take it out on the union. In other words, it doesnt seem that the union will be too flexible.

With the proper management, GM could pull out, but it will take massive changes, and lots of time.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its GM's leadership that dug the hole...

I argue that GM would have been in this trouble along time ago if it hadn't been for it's leadership. [Fire Suit On]

Dave[/QUOTE]

I maintain that GM's leadership knows little or nothing about the automobile business. GM could be the world leader in sales....how?
1. ending redundant bodies in different divisions
2. emphasis on dealer and salesmen training re: customer service,repair servicing and sales.
3. quality control: why are corvette batteries dying and tops flying off?
4. putting customers as #1 priority: loaner cars; 4 year warranties
5. a shift to volume lower priced cars, not low volume expensive cars.
6. emphasis on producing cutting edge vehicles: the volt is obsolete
already.

None of these has been implimented......
Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The entire news conferance was more song and dance. No way from what I heard was there a plan for the required big turn around in 90 days....It's over.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 535 Likes on 307 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default How can you say BS?

What a crock!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

With the economy in the state that it is, who is going to be buying these world class quality cars ?????? How does GM start to make money???
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I sincerely hope GM can pull this off.

I couldn't own another manufacturer's car.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm glad to see GM get another chance. If they didn't get the loan the government should require all the foreign manufactures to pay back all the taxpayers the subsidies they've gotten over the years. For example here is a list of subsidies foreign manufactures have gotten.

Honda, Marysville, OH, 1980, $27 million*
Nissan, Smyrna, TN, 1980, $233 million**
Toyota, Georgetown, KY, 1985, $147 million
Honda, Anna, OH, 1985, $27 million*
Subaru, Lafayette, IN, 1986, $94 million
Honda, East Liberty, OH, 1987, $27 million*
BMW, Spartanburg, SC, 1992, $150 million
Mercedes-Benz, Vance, AL, 1993, $258 million
Toyota, Princeton, IN, 1995, $30 million
Nissan, Decherd, TN, 1995, $200 million**
Toyota, Buffalo, WV, 1996, more than $15 million
Honda, Lincoln, AL, 1999, $248 million
Nissan, Canton, MS, 2000, $295 million
Toyota, Huntsville, AL, 2001, $30 million
Hyundai, Montgomery, AL, 2002, $252 million
Toyota, San Antonio, TX, 2003, $133 million
Kia, West Point, GA, 2006, $400 million
Honda, Greensburg, IN, 2006, $141 million
Toyota, Blue Springs, MS, 2007, $300 million
Volkswagen, Chattanooga, TN, 2008, $577 million
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Yep! UAW needs to get in line with all other labor rates. Make and take the cuts or lose your jobs and lose everything. Seems simple enough to me!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think labor cost is the major problem when labor only makes up about 10% of the cost. If labor worked for free you would only cut cost 10% and I don't think we want them to work for free. I'm proud my car was built by the UAW.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I don't think labor cost is the major problem when labor only makes up about 10% of the cost. If labor worked for free you would only cut cost 10% and I don't think we want them to work for free. I'm proud my car was built by the UAW.
Labor cost is a MAJOR problem. There would be people standing in line to make less than half what they pay!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Statement on Administration Providing Bridge Loan to Domestic Auto Industry

Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve burns
As far as product, the competition is not sitting still. The volt is already outdated, especially at 40,000 and when you look at whats coming out in 2010 for the foreign car makers.
Maybe I missed the grand hoopla of new products introduced by foreign car makers but what exactly is going to sweep American's off their feet and go foreign? Please don't tell me it's a new Toyota Camry. I recently rented a 2008 Toyota Camry this week for business - a 200 mile trip - and I have to say it is a pathetic entry level vehicle. With 32,000 miles on the clock: It wouldn't start easily in cold weather, the interior rattled when cold, rear seat headrests visually impaired me when backing up, front end creaked on turns, steering wheel was too far away to use the arm rest and hold the steering wheel (even after adjustment), front windshield visor kept smacking the rear view mirror when pushed up against the windshield, radio was positioned high on the dash and impossible to scan channels while driving AND it had the most oddball seat adjuster on the planet. This may be great for a college kid who doesn't know the difference between a camry and a civic but I would NEVER buy this vehicle with my hard earned money.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saplumr
Labor cost is a MAJOR problem. There would be people standing in line to make less than half what they pay!
Their pay is within a couple dollars of the non-union foreign manufacturers and in one foreign plant (Toyota), I know of, UAW makes less per hour, the problem is what they have to pay in retirement etc. American plants have been around 100 years and they have a big reirement payout where the foreign manufacturers don't. They havn't been around long enough for many retirees yet. What's American manufacturers to do, just cut off retirement to those that worked their whole life for it. I don't think so. The problem has to be solved somehow, but how?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5

I hear ya, but that is exactly the kind of thinking GM needs to avoid. Every little bit helps and when they say the words "it's only" when talking about their expenditures they are making a big mistake. No cut too small.

I just read where the UAW intends to lobby Obama to remove the stipulation Bush put on the loan that employee benefits and pay be reduced to match what the "transplants" get by the end of 2009. No doubt they will be successful and GM will never recover without more huge taxpayer "loans". The UAW has been playing the "hurting the poor working laborer" card this whole time and it really ticks me off. UAW workers are the highest paid unskilled, uneducated laborers in America. They make more in salary and benefits than most college graduates so I have zero sympathy for them.

Last edited by C6Tim; 12-19-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Statement on Administration Providing Bridge Loan to Domestic Auto Industry