C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone driven to Grande Miquelon, the French isle off Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Agapemou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone driven to Grande Miquelon, the French isle off Newfoundland

I am planning on driving from San Diego northeast to Newfoundland Canada this summer and am planning my trip now. I saw on a map that there are some islands 20 miles off Newfoundland that are part of France- the money is the Euro and the postage is French. I read that there is a ferry there and now I think I should make this part of my trip. Has anyone been there and if so what is it like and is it worth the trip? Do i have to do anyting re licensing or insurance to drive from the US to Europe?
thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Interesting idea.

A quick search online reveals that you leave your car on the mainland and take a ferry or plane to these islands. They total less than 100 square miles in size, and only some 2/3 of the roads are paved. Tourists walk about the island villages and take taxis or rent scooters.

Also, although these islands belong to France, the importance of tourism to local businesses means that acceptance of Canadian and US dollars is widespread alongside the official currency.

Although the archipelago belongs to France, I would not describe this as a visit to Europe. This is a remote sea-faring outcrop that has fallen through the cracks of history; its culture is arguably as much rooted in the traditions of Newfoundland as in any relationship to contemporary France.

There are a number of Corvette owners from northeast Canada on this forum, so I'll defer to them if they care to jump in.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I have not been there, but a friend has as said it is not worth the trouble to get there and back.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 PM
OkCarl
Racer

I lived in St. John's Newfoundland for 4 years when I was younger. The islands you refer to are not really worth the hassle in my opinion. But St. Johns is worth the trip and has a lot of history there that is worth checking out.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone driven to Grande Miquelon, the French isle off Newfoundland

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven to Grande Miquelon, the French isle off Newfoundland