C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No shot against Laser

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No shot against Laser

No I didn't get a ticket.

I fortunately moved to the right lane as I was going to turn ahead. There was a line of car in front of me. All of sudden my V1 gives me two bursts of laser and I see two motorcycle cops on my right. Clearly they were shooting at everyone coming by but the V1 didn't get it until they shot me. It is the first time I've seen laser in my town. I've always known that no radar can pick up laser until it is too late, but this clearly proved it to me. Straight line, no hill, and multiple cars in front.

Happy they didn't pull me over for no front plate (although they see that all of the time), but I am sure they had bigger fish to fry.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
TheForce02
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yah, the LIDAR (laser) works amazingly.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
fst1
Instructor

Was this on Rye Cyn Rd?
I see them shooting with a new hand held that I suspect is Laser.
Had my Cobra pick up a Laser signal a couple months back on the new section of Ranch Rd.
FST1
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM
boardroomjimmy
Racer

I think the only defense is rain. I may be wrong, but the state police up here only use it on dry days. I'd assume that the droplets reflect the laser beam. Of course speeding in the rain isn't the most enjoyable activity.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Take my word for it, laser is great, but some of the instant-ons are just about as bad. Meaning, you won't pick up on them even with the V1 until it's too late.

There are enough police on this forum to acknowledge this: most police who do this speeding thing for a living can tell by looking at a car its speed within a very narrow range of speeds. Not surprising. Go to any race and the guys behind the pit wall use a stopwatch only to verify what they see, and know. That said, the laser or instant-on is only there to satisfy a court.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fst1
Was this on Rye Cyn Rd?
I see them shooting with a new hand held that I suspect is Laser.
Had my Cobra pick up a Laser signal a couple months back on the new section of Ranch Rd.
FST1
No, it was on Soledad just before Bouquet Canyon. The number of police out today in the city was just unreal. Probably saw more today than I have combined over the past several years. Maybe they were making a big pre-Christmas revenue push.....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boardroomjimmy
I think the only defense is rain. I may be wrong, but the state police up here only use it on dry days. I'd assume that the droplets reflect the laser beam. Of course speeding in the rain isn't the most enjoyable activity.
Too bad for me since it rains only a few weeks out of the year!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Take my word for it, laser is great, but some of the instant-ons are just about as bad. Meaning, you won't pick up on them even with the V1 until it's too late.
Are you talking about POP? I have not seen that used including in my 8,000 mile around the country road tour this summer. I believe they even say that you shouldn't use the POP number to write a ticket as it isn't accurate enough.

There are enough police on this forum to acknowledge this: most police who do this speeding thing for a living can tell by looking at a car its speed within a very narrow range of speeds. Not surprising. Go to any race and the guys behind the pit wall use a stopwatch only to verify what they see, and know. That said, the laser or instant-on is only there to satisfy a court.
Certainly true, but as you say, the eye cannot be used in court. If I am the only one the cop has his eye on then it maybe too late. My hope is that he shoots someone else before he has a chance to get his eye on me (and not with laser...). If he does, both his eye and his radar gun will show I am going the speed limit.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

One word - Rejex.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

If I was concerned about Laser I'd buy one of those jammers.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up. The Sheriff are out in force in SCV this week. I got hit with Ka once on Friday and twice on Saturday. I have not seen the laser in SCV yet. But I'm pretty sure my wife will find it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by S2K
Are you talking about POP? I have not seen that used including in my 8,000 mile around the country road tour this summer. I believe they even say that you shouldn't use the POP number to write a ticket as it isn't accurate enough.

Certainly true, but as you say, the eye cannot be used in court. If I am the only one the cop has his eye on then it maybe too late. My hope is that he shoots someone else before he has a chance to get his eye on me (and not with laser...). If he does, both his eye and his radar gun will show I am going the speed limit.

Per Valentine's site, POP is just different company's forms of either K or K and Ka. Nothing wrong with writing a ticket from them. Your 8,000 miles must not have encountered either Montana or Maryland HP with instant on of a very, very nefarious nature.

Near El Paso is pretty bad, too, but has been for years (ever since they began using those low slung Camaros.). Out in W. Texas and parts of Kansas they use a low pulse (for lack of a better term) K band that never triggers the V1 to full on; just keeps pulsing as if it's over the hill and far away.

It isn't, but it is coming right at you.

Around Las Cruces isn't so good either esp. early on Sunday mornings.....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

For ALL of the above reasons I finally faced the reality that I really don't want a ticket in the Vette - especially since that would bring the inevitable no front plate ticket. I'm also happy most often to drive 5 MPH over the speed limit (especially on long trips; most states are either 70 or 75 MPH and driving 80 MPH is just fine by me). End result - I listed my Valentine 1 on Ebay. It has the most up to date software - I sold it for $10 less than what I paid for it several years ago. Set the cruise on 80 MPH and relax while driving - it's actually MORE enjoyable now.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the laser, it can pinpoint a car even with traffic around it. It also has a longer, much longer, distance than radar. It is very accurate. I will leave it at that.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Prankster
Racer

Originally Posted by mksz51
For ALL of the above reasons I finally faced the reality that I really don't want a ticket in the Vette - especially since that would bring the inevitable no front plate ticket. I'm also happy most often to drive 5 MPH over the speed limit (especially on long trips; most states are either 70 or 75 MPH and driving 80 MPH is just fine by me). End result - I listed my Valentine 1 on Ebay. It has the most up to date software - I sold it for $10 less than what I paid for it several years ago. Set the cruise on 80 MPH and relax while driving - it's actually MORE enjoyable now.

A detector these days is an expensive device that tells you your screwed. The only thing you can do is get a jammer, not perfect but from what I've read work ok.

pkstr
Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Jimbospice
Advanced

In Maryland the home of many State Police Lazer setups, your best friend is cold weather. Troopers don't like having their window down to aim and shoot, so they opt for Radar.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Time to are the Photon Torpedos...

Get notified of new replies

To No shot against Laser

Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

If you're the lone ranger out there speeding and your detector goes off, you're screwed. If you are speeding and there are cars in front of you and your detector goes off, lock up your brakes and odds are you'll be okay. Zapped with a laser and you are done.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prankster

A detector these days is an expensive device that tells you your screwed. The only thing you can do is get a jammer, not perfect but from what I've read work ok.

pkstr
Well OK, but a jammer (or anything that produces a signal from inside the car --- or anything that is not a passive receiver) is big time illegal in every state in the union (ever hear of the FCC?). That, and you typically cause every radar detector within a mile or two of you to go off, and that's just not fair!!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
x-mann
Racer

Originally Posted by S2K
No I didn't get a ticket.

I fortunately moved to the right lane as I was going to turn ahead. There was a line of car in front of me. All of sudden my V1 gives me two bursts of laser and I see two motorcycle cops on my right. Clearly they were shooting at everyone coming by but the V1 didn't get it until they shot me. It is the first time I've seen laser in my town. I've always known that no radar can pick up laser until it is too late, but this clearly proved it to me. Straight line, no hill, and multiple cars in front.

Happy they didn't pull me over for no front plate (although they see that all of the time), but I am sure they had bigger fish to fry.
i just got a ticket on the 14 (between placerita and golden valley) the chp was bragging about his new radar gun. got me at 1800 ft away, said it was accurate up to a mile away. (not in the vette but, in my acura mdx)

Quick Reply: No shot against Laser