C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by C6HOKIE
Great setup.
Where did you get the little light on the lower left?
You mean the little USB flex light? I had ordered that online a few years ago. I chose the red as it lights the area without affecting your night vision. Several online outlets have them, Compusa.com, Amazon.com, NewEgg.com but I can't find the red one any longer.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I ran my own PC consulting business as a sideline for 10 years. I've built far more than my share of PC's. I absolutely agree about the GPU and I've been looking at a 512 8800gts card. We just have a few financial irons in the fire currently and I've been avoiding spending money on non-essentials.

I don't spend as much time as I used to for simming so my desire to keep up or keep trying to win the technology race has waned a little bit. This box is over two years old now and for me previously, that was unheard of.
i understand that one!!! i'm running a first revision q6600 on my box and am hungry for one of the new i7's! but alas.. money wins. still a very nice set up you have there!

btw, the gts cards are great, but look into the 9800gt akimbo from evga. huuuuge heatsync lets you overclock it well beyond the performance of even a gtx.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by QbnSuperman
i understand that one!!! i'm running a first revision q6600 on my box and am hungry for one of the new i7's! but alas.. money wins. still a very nice set up you have there!

btw, the gts cards are great, but look into the 9800gt akimbo from evga. huuuuge heatsync lets you overclock it well beyond the performance of even a gtx.
Thanks for that. I must admit that I'm a little out of touch with the most current graphics cards so I will have a look at that one.

Have you seen the multi-screen setups for the 360 and particularly with Forza?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Thanks for that. I must admit that I'm a little out of touch with the most current graphics cards so I will have a look at that one.

Have you seen the multi-screen setups for the 360 and particularly with Forza?
do you mean have i seen that setup that i really want but will never have? its intense and awesome though i don't think there's a way to do it as a consumer.

if i were able to make a crazy setup like that, i'd probably go your route and focus on a pc since it would be a much longer term investment. I do run dual monitors though.. just nothing crazy amazing like you
Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

do you mean have i seen that setup that i really want but will never have? its intense and awesome though i don't think there's a way to do it as a consumer.

if i were able to make a crazy setup like that, i'd probably go your route and focus on a pc since it would be a much longer term investment. I do run dual monitors though.. just nothing crazy amazing like you
This first photo is the first Forza 2 setup that I found that got me to start investigating the reality that you could in fact run it on multi-screens

Further research at least shows me that it could be done on a little bit smaller budget. The problem is that it requires three Xbox consoles and three copies of the game, just to get started. Of course the multiple televisions or video monitors don't help keep the cost down either.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

This first photo is the first Forza 2 setup that I found that got me to start investigating the reality that you could in fact run it on multi-screens

[IM]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/For%20posting/forza2.jpg[/IMG]

Further research at least shows me that it could be done on a little bit smaller budget. The problem is that it requires three Xbox consoles and three copies of the game, just to get started. Of course the multiple televisions or video monitors don't help keep the cost down either.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/For%20posting/forza1.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/For%20posting/triple-2dmain-small.jpg[/IG]

those are amazing. yeah, i had heard of the need for multiple consoles. wow, i doubt i'll ever see a setup like that in my house lol. you know..at some point you just have to ask yourself; supercharger for the vette or video games
Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

those are amazing. yeah, i had heard of the need for multiple consoles. wow, i doubt i'll ever see a setup like that in my house lol. you know..at some point you just have to ask yourself; supercharger for the vette or video games
Gee, I kind of wish that you hadn't put it that way.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran my own PC consulting business as a sideline for 10 years. I've built far more than my share of PC's. I absolutely agree about the GPU and I've been looking at a 512 8800gts card. We just have a few financial irons in the fire currently and I've been avoiding spending money on non-essentials.

I don't spend as much time as I used to for simming so my desire to keep up or keep trying to win the technology race has waned a little bit. This box is over two years old now and for me previously, that was unheard of.
I have similar but only with dual monitors for playing my PC Racing (GTR-2, rFactor, F1 Challenge), Hockey, Sub and Air Traffic Controller sims. Oh, I play Velocity's Jetfighter: The Adventure and MPS F117A Stealth Fighter on my still working Compaq 286e-after that, those flight sims got too complex for me. Thanks for sharing your play time and toys with us!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by siffert
I have similar but only with dual monitors for playing my PC Racing (GTR-2, rFactor, F1 Challenge), Hockey, Sub and Air Traffic Controller sims. Oh, I play Velocity's Jetfighter: The Adventure and MPS F117A Stealth Fighter on my still working Compaq 286e-after that, those flight sims got too complex for me. Thanks for sharing your play time and toys with us!
For driving you should take a look at the Matrox hardware for triple head gaming. Having a the surroundings buzz by you on the two side monitors is really amazing.

Do you have the Corvette for fFactor? If not I included a download link in a previous post in this thread. I strongly encourage you to get it. It is very, very well made and the driving feel is very good.

MPS F117A, Wow! That really takes me back.

Last edited by talon90; 12-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM
siffert
Safety Car

For driving you should take a look at the Matrox hardware for triple head gaming. Having a the surroundings buzz buy you on the two side monitors is really amazing.
Thanks-been on the Matrox page to check it out. I know them well since my Compaq Deskpro XL (Pent Pro) still has the Matrox card in it. Did I say I collect all my Compaq DeskPro Desktops? Yes, got the C6 download.

btw-now that I got your attention, how does one get the full color brochure for the '09 C6? I got the '07 and '08 but when I called GM Customer Service, all I got sent was a tiny booklet.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Thanks-been on the Matrox page to check it out. I know them well since my Compaq Deskpro XL (Pent Pro) still has the Matrox card in it. Did I say I collect all my Compaq DeskPro Desktops? Yes, got the C6 download.

btw-now that I got your attention, how does one get the full color brochure for the '09 C6? I got the '07 and '08 but when I called GM Customer Service, all I got sent was a tiny booklet.
Your best shot at getting one with out paying for it will be via the dealer network. GM customer service is somewhat random in how they send out a full brochure vs. that one page summary card. I've tried numerous times via the GM web link and phone number and all I've received is the one page flat. The dealers will have an inventory of the full brochure but they only get a limited quantity and they are somewhat selective of who they hand them out to.

Of course if you don't mind paying for them that popular auction site always has them available and as noted earlier in the thread, The National Corvette Museum always makes dealer brochures available for sale.

Paul
Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grassroots Motorsports magazine (my favorite car mag) did a story not long ago on iRacing and it sounds like an outstanding simulator (not a game) that doesn't require huge $s to get started with.

They laser scanned the surface of all of the tracks in the package. If there's a small bump on corner entry on the track, it's in the game.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Of course if you don't mind paying for them that popular auction site always has them available and as noted earlier in the thread, The National Corvette Museum always makes dealer brochures available for sale. Paul
Just did a $16 w/shipping overlooking seabay. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
Grassroots Motorsports magazine (my favorite car mag) did a story not long ago on iRacing and it sounds like an outstanding simulator (not a game) that doesn't require huge $s to get started with.

They laser scanned the surface of all of the tracks in the package. If there's a small bump on corner entry on the track, it's in the game.
I've been following iracing's development. It was getting pretty good press in some of the forums and newsgroups. The hangup I've always had with it is that it is a pay-per-month subscription based service. It is very much dedicated to online racing and limits what vehicles and tracks you can drive on until your rankings increase. Lot's of big names in the racing world are running in the Solstice series on iracing however. I hope it keeps going.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Just did a $16 w/shipping overlooking seabay. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

I've got Forza Motorsports 2 on the Xbox 360 with a "Playseats" car seat that holds the microsoft steering wheel and brake/gas pedal. I only use one monitor but it's big at 62 inches in HD. I shot this video with my video camera over my shoulder. I edited between the actual run (3 laps) and the saved replay of the run at Laguna Seca. Whenever you see the tac on the right that's the actual run and with no tac is the replay. For someone that wants to get into these games this is probably the cheapest and easiest way to do it. The Xbox is around $300, the Playseat was $300 and the steering wheel/gas/brake pedal was $100 and the Forza at $60.

PlaySeat

3 Laps at Laguna Seca

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 12-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I've got Forza Motorsports 2 on the Xbox 360 with a "Playseats" car seat that holds the microsoft steering wheel and brake/gas pedal. I only use one monitor but it's big at 62 inches in HD. I shot this video with my video camera over my shoulder. I edited between the actual run (3 laps) and the saved replay of the run at Laguna Seca. Whenever you see the tac on the right that's the actual run and with no tac is the replay. For someone that wants to get into these games this is probably the cheapest and easiest way to do it. The Xbox is around $300, the Plsyseat was $300 and the steering wheel/gas/brake pedal was $100 and the Forza at $60.

PlaySeat

3 Laps at Laguna Seca
URL=http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x139/Walt4321/Forza/?action=view&current=ForzaC6R-1.flv][/URL]
Walt, I can't get the video to display. I hope you can fix the link. I'm dying to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing Simulators

Old 12-07-2008, 03:08 PM
C6HOKIE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the light. will add to the xmas list.
Dave
Old 12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Fixed. The quality by the time I compressed it to a .mov and then photobucket recompressing to Flash leaves something to be desired. But you get the idea.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Fixed. The quality by the time I compressed it to a .mov and then photobucket recompressing to Flash leaves something to be desired. But you get the idea.
Very nice. I hear you on the quality. The same thing happened to my video above. Just the mix down alone trashes the quality but then Photobucket's compression did even worse. It still looks great.

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing Simulators