C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reckless Driving in VA

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Va is kind of a weird state today. (Someone can confirm)
Yea verily! When I lived there it seemed like some of Virginia's taxation statutes date back to Jamestown. Its prohibition of radar detectors in private motor vehicles in defiance of superior federal law (Communications Act of 1934, as amended) is a perfect example of how Virginia legislators still view their House of Burgesses as the only true authority in the land since 1618.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 06 Sunshine
20 mph over the speed limit, plus it was night. I read some on the internet and they're talking 6 points for 11 yrs, possible jail time and a hefty fine. Just wanted to see if anyone was a victim to VA speeding laws.
Sounds a bit harsh for only speeding, hope not for your sake.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
I don't know about being goons, but you will get stopped for doing 89 in a 65. You can't fault them for that.
I travel I-81 and I-95 a LOT and cruise at +8. I can most often spot the traps along the road and don't even bother to slow. The LEOs are looking for the really fast movers. My last ticket was in NC in 1967.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454
Well....this thread explains it a bit.

Bogus fines on traffic tickets. Illegal to use radar detectors. VA drivers are scared stiff to drive over 65. They travel North to PA and do 65 in the left lane on the PA Turnpike (among other roads) and NEVER pull aside. They've created laws here in PA to address the left lane bandits, of which VA drivers are the WORST.

Nothing personal, just my driving experiences in both PA and VA.

What bogus fines, please explain...

RADAR detectors use is illegal, fine - I don't like it either. Should I think MD sucks because I can't legally transport my gun through their state... ?

I don't know where you drive, but you drive 65 on a VA interstate in the left lane you are gonna get run over. The average speed is somewhere in the low 70s.

VA doesn't 'suck' but just like everywhere else, some laws and regulations are a pain in the ****. I could probably find a few things about PA that suck, but mostly it is a fine state.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
What bogus fines, please explain...

RADAR detectors use is illegal, fine - I don't like it either. Should I think MD sucks because I can't legally transport my gun through their state... ?

I don't know where you drive, but you drive 65 on a VA interstate in the left lane you are gonna get run over. The average speed is somewhere in the low 70s.

VA doesn't 'suck' but just like everywhere else, some laws and regulations are a pain in the ****. I could probably find a few things about PA that suck, but mostly it is a fine state.

Bougs = Excessive Fines.

Low 70's in the left lane in PA will get you run over. Since we're allowed to use radar detectors, we can safely cruise at 80 in a 65. The fear of ticketing in VA breeds left lane bandits which come into PA. It wouldn't be so bad if they knew how to drive and follow the signs which are posted..."KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". For some, it's fear of trucks, which I can understand. For most, they're absolutely cluleless. Either way, they ruin the flow of traffic by being there.

I understand your stance, but I'm not directing this to you fine residents of Virginia that frequent the forum. I'm simply pointing out the excessiveness which exists by your state to pry monies out of hard working hands. Ok... NJ sucks too. I can't transport my handgun thru NJ. An imaginary border shouldn't determine my need to protect myself. We should have a national carry law. Guess that's another topic.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 AM
craunico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All this talk about points means nothing

if the guy does not live in VA.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

The fear for PA would be for the LEOs to use unmarked police cars such as an old PU Truck that they use in one county in Utah. He'll cruise at 75mph or less (the speed limit) and wait for someone thinking they are safe. From what I heard he doesn't give any breaks either (not much other revenue in the county).

Quick Reply: Reckless Driving in VA