C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watching rear-view mirror at red light.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Watching rear-view mirror at red light.

Sitting at a red light today, I did what many of us do... look up in the rear-view mirror and watch the approaching car come up behind me.

It was a 20 something woman in a SUV with her cell phone up to her ear in one hand, the other holding a cigarette while also feeding her face with something, chips I think. I guess she was steering with her knees?

Anyway, she stopped at a safe distance from me so no worries, at least not me. The next guy may not be so fortunate.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Cajun_LS3
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you mean. I drive a truck for a DD, so when I'm in the Vette, it looks like everyone is right on top of me before they stop. It freaks me out.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Amazing that some of these idiots do not realize how much of a danger they are to themselves and others, until it is too late.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

As a motorcycle rider, I really have to watch what other drivers are doing. Younger girls on cell phones scare me the most. I also watch closely when in the Z since I feel like a target.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Sitting at a red light today, I did what many of us do... look up in the rear-view mirror and watch the approaching car come up behind me.

It was a 20 something woman in a SUV with her cell phone up to her ear in one hand, the other holding a cigarette while also feeding her face with something, chips I think. I guess she was steering with her knees?

Anyway, she stopped at a safe distance from me so no worries, at least not me. The next guy may not be so fortunate.

Whew...for a moment there I thought you were going to share a Sharon Stone moment from the opening shots of Basic Instinct-2.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I follow the same rule for safe motorcycling at stoplights with both my bikes and the Vette. Always stop short to give you room in front to manuver, decide on an "out" move should you need to move, for the bike I leave it in gear, and then watch the rear moving forward or out of the way as needed. all this follows a check to the rear when I first decide I must stop along with brake light flashes, etc. yeah, I am OCD when it comes to this!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Old memories

I watched the rear view mirrow, while a 1956 Chevy hood emblem grew to gigantic proportions, just as it rear ended my 1961 Falcon at aprox 50mph. Totaled my Falcon, broke off the drivers seat back and I spent several months going to thearpy so I could turn my head.
That was in 1963, and I still watch the rear view at stoplights.
I have avoided at least 2 more rear end colisions, by accelerating out of harms way when waiting to turning left, and noticing someone sideways sliding up behind me.
LJ
Old 11-28-2008, 07:59 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

couple years ago i "mirror watched" a 15 year old kid driving his girlfriend's dad's porsche (by himself) right into the back of my ford expedition while i was totally stopped at a red light (and had been for a good minute or so). luckily, 3 highway patrolman just happened to be around as it happened lol

needless to say the porsche carrera was towed away lol.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM
DEO
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you mean except I was the other guy.

I'm on a four lane city street, driving in the right lane. About the time I am at the apex of a right hand curve I'm coming up along side a young woman driving in the left lane, holding her cell with her left hand, making various jesters with her right. (Who's driving her car?) Wouldn't you know she starts to drift into my lane and is about to take out my front left front fender. I reacted by veering to the right, blow my horn, braking and bam my right wheel makes contact with the curb. I reacted again by turning to the left and bam my right rear wheel catches the curb. No, was not speeding, 35mph in a 35mph zone however it was misting and the temp. was 45.

Now the young lady sees me and or hears my horn pulls to the left and speeds away. I was almost a complete stop by now and the time it took me to calm down she had made the up coming light and I had the red. No, I did not get the lic.#. Now I have to chrome wheels that are scuffed that will need to be replaced. (Local Goodyear shop checked them out and they are only cosmetically damaged but the estimate to repair is $800.)
Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

My dad was sitting at a stop light---blocked in side to side and in front. Could see a car coming up behind him fast. Heard the car's secondaries moan as passing gear engaged. My father said all he could do was pump the brakes (to flash the brake lights) and brace his head in the seat back.

Dad was in a huge '70 T-Bird. Good defense against A-hole drunk drivers.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
C6Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know woman, they are pro's at multi tasking!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Amazing that some of these idiots do not realize how much of a danger they are to themselves and others, until it is too late.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Firedog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pointless post...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Firedog
Pointless post...
Yet you read it anyway.

I was hit in the rear in 1975 in my dad's 1970 AMC Hornet.

I watch the mirror everytime since then. It's just one of those things.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I was on my old Harley and had stopped at a red light when BOOM! I was rear ended so hard by a guy who didn't see the light, I rode a wheelie all the way through the intersection! It was everything I could do to keep from coming off the bike and wrecking. I was so lucky I wasn't hit by any cars going through the green light. Anyway there just so happened to be two policemen parked on the other side of the intersection that saw the whole thing. They pulled the guy out of his pickup truck and damn near cuffed him and stuffed him instantly. He wasn't drunk and it was an accident. He was insured and I told them it was okay, that I wasn't hurt and the bike could be fixed.
Needless to say, I always watch behind me now!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I see this every day. If I was a cop they could just put me on commission and I would be wealthy, driving a Black & White ZR-1.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I watch my mirror all the time you never know

Get notified of new replies

To Watching rear-view mirror at red light.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
DriveHappy
Advanced

On 12/30/05, I was sitting at a red light behind a work van, in my 2003 coupe. Long light, so I adjusted the radio & pulled my gas card out my wallet for the next stop. Then...bang! I was rear ended and propelled forward into the rear of the van. It had a trailer hitch with ball. Ended up with a punctured/cracked front and a busted up rear end. The senior citizen who nailed me stated it was entirely his fault...duh. The police and flatbed came and took me away. I refused medical help. As I was leaving in the truck, the culprit told the LEO that I stopped abruptly. What a freakin liar! Plus, he got no summons, it was the officers discretion. My C5 was in the body shop for a month. Also, lost all equity in the coupe due to this accident. Since that fateful evening, I have kept my eye on the rearview mirror and keep a larger gap from any car in front of me at each traffic stop I make. It's the only way to hopefully prevent someone hitting my current C6 black coupe like that again. No, I'm not paranoid.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

I am amazed that it does not happen more often. I have watched speeding cars drive up to the rear of my stopped car and just get stopped in time, sometimes with a loud skid. I try and keep a cushion of distance from the car in front of me so that I can creep forward when I see them coming.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:16 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Not all turkeys were eaten on Thanksgiving!

Quick Reply: Watching rear-view mirror at red light.