C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette owners trying to unload their cars fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:09 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

A few questions - you state you "need" to get a new car to replace the BMW. Did you purchase or lease the BMW? If lease - you definitely have a bit of additional leverage with the dealer because they should REALLY want to keep you as a customer. They aren't GM / Ford / or Chrysler but I'd bet they're sales are down substantially also. Negotiate the lease and then deal with the Vette separately. IF you purchased the BMW you also need to hassle out the trade in of the BMW - that likely won't be pretty either. I would NEVER trade two vehicles in on a single purchase - you'll get screwed twice in a row (and that's gotta hurt)......

Last comment - assess whether you "need" to get a new car or "want" to get a new car. There is a difference.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is interesting.

Manny (seller) wants $XX,XXX for his vehicle. Salesman (buyer) says it isn't worth squat due to economy, market, etc. Manny then comes here to complain (not a problem) about situation. Most everyone is sympathetic to seller's situation. All he did was try to trade (sell) his car.

On the other side:

Chevy dealer (seller) wants $XX,XXX for his vehicle. Forum member (buyer) says it's not worth squat due to economy, market, etc. Chevy dealer would like to complain (is a problem) about situation. No one is sympathetic to seller's situation because dealers are known as "stealerships", ripoff artists, slimeballs. etc. All they want to do is sell a car.

A seller wanting too much and a buyer not wanting to pay what the seller wants is how the car business runs. I find it interesting how the two situations are viewed differently.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ALZ51
This is interesting.

Manny (seller) wants $XX,XXX for his vehicle. Salesman (buyer) says it isn't worth squat due to economy, market, etc. Manny then comes here to complain (not a problem) about situation. Most everyone is sympathetic to seller's situation. All he did was try to trade (sell) his car.

On the other side:

Chevy dealer (seller) wants $XX,XXX for his vehicle. Forum member (buyer) says it's not worth squat due to economy, market, etc. Chevy dealer would like to complain (is a problem) about situation. No one is sympathetic to seller's situation because dealers are known as "stealerships", ripoff artists, slimeballs. etc. All they want to do is sell a car.

A seller wanting too much and a buyer not wanting to pay what the seller wants is how the car business runs. I find it interesting how the two situations are viewed differently.
Most owners of vehicles looking to get rid of them (trade, sell, whatever) tend to overvalue their current vehicle. I think the fault on the OP part is they just weren't realistic.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting debate - I'm looking to buy a C5 or C6. I am a very serious buyer, with all cash and absolutely no need for loan or anything. However, I am in no big hurry to buy a car that is mostly just a toy. So I won't be jumping unless I see a heckuva deal.

The problem with a Vette is - it's not the very first vehicle that comes to mind when someone needs a viable, practical automobile. Yeah, the Vette is a wonderful car, but it's still mostly an extravagance.

So, as a prospective buyer, I am concerned about investing in a Vette. The valuations going forward do not seem too bright for cars such as these, IMHO. Now, if they were limited production or true collector cars, that would be different.

I am gonna bide my time......................

-
Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Interesting debate - I'm looking to buy a C5 or C6. I am a very serious buyer, with all cash and absolutely no need for loan or anything. However, I am in no big hurry to buy a car that is mostly just a toy. So I won't be jumping unless I see a heckuva deal.

The problem with a Vette is - it's not the very first vehicle that comes to mind when someone needs a viable, practical automobile. Yeah, the Vette is a wonderful car, but it's still mostly an extravagance.

So, as a prospective buyer, I am concerned about investing in a Vette. The valuations going forward do not seem too bright for cars such as these, IMHO. Now, if they were limited production or true collector cars, that would be different.

-
Just remember - it isn't an investment, it is TOTALLY a toy - and you'll be fine. As for now - pricing may get better but don't miss the window of opportunity by being greedy. Stuff is pretty good right now.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
:Obviously he didn't do well in school, that's why he is selling cars. You have to feel sorry for car salesman, for the past few years they were making 50-60 grand a year, now they are making 20K.
That my friend is a very ignorant statement and quite the generalization. I think the "Joe Isuzu" perception is all too alive and well. I know many car salespeople that make a six figure living by working their tails off and many, including myself, are in the field because I chose to be . So don't feel too sorry for me for taking my college degree, leaving a lucrative Wall Street position and going into the automotive field because I have a passion for automobiles. I certainly didn't leave "The Street" to make $20K a year and as you can see Wall Street is doing just fine without me.

Last edited by DSOM Z06; 11-20-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
That my friend is a very ignorant statement and quite the generalization. I think the "Joe Isuzu" perception is all too alive and well. I know many car salespeople that make a six figure living by working their tails off and many, including myself, are in the field because I chose to be . So don't feel too sorry for me for taking my college degree, leaving a lucrative Wall Street position and going into the automotive field because I have a passion automobiles. I certainly didn't leave "The Street" to make $20K a year and as you can see Wall Street is doing just fine without me.
Just as long as you aren't 26 years old, and can afford a Z06 on your own, etc. etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Once in my lifetime I was trained for car sales tricks. And it was in a BMW dealership.
This is a simple sales statement. Does not matter if GM goes down or not. He is a salesman and he is doing his pitch to earn his bread and butter. Nothing personal. Now if he wanted to sell you a Vette he would say like "You know if GM goes down this Vette appreciates like crazy. It is like a prime land. It always appreciates because
they don't make land anymore" or some other analogy like that.
Car sales business is a business.

By the way: "Bimmer" is BMW car. "Beemer" is BMW motorcycle.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 11-20-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: ps !
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM
jhohler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Once in my lifetime I was trained for car sales tricks. And it was in a BMW dealership.
This is a simple sales statement. Does not matter if GM goes down or not. He is a salesman and he is doing his pitch to earn his bread and butter. Nothing personal. Now if he wanted to sell you a Vette he would say like "You know if GM goes down this Vette appreciates like crazy. It is like a prime land. It always appreciates because
they don't make land anymore" or some other analogy like that.
Car sales business is a business.

By the way: "Bimmer" is BMW car. "Beemer" is BMW motorcycle.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
PAvetter
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manny350Z
I am actually on nothing,..i forgot to mention ...this is Canada where car prices are alot different then the US...and brand new Z06 in the US will cost you 69K ..here it will cost you 103K

So comparing an 08 here which would be 60K plus...compared to you and 08 at 40K where you are...do you get it?

Manny
Back in High School I had a High School Government Professor who brought in a magazine and pointed to the US/Canada price difference and said: "Do you know what causes that difference??? National Healthcare"

Sorry way offtopic, but it was funny to see that portrayed here. Don't worry buddy with our new prez and crew that z06 will soon be 103k down here "south of the border" very shortly!!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM
DJones1220
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars are like houses these days, selling your screwed, buying your gonna get a great deal and sign the papers with a smile.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

If you have a car in good shape, why waste value on a trade-in? Private sale is the way to go.

I got 40% more a BMW I sold a couple months ago than anyone else who was advertising on CraigsList. Why? Because I knew every inch of the car, buyers could tell it, and was mechanically in tip-top shape, although aesthetically 10 years of wear. Trade in would probably only have netted me about 1/4 of what I got.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
TheVetteski
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=KB9GKC;1567918591]

Obviously he didn't do well in school, that's why he is selling cars. You have to feel sorry for car salesman, for the past few years they were making 50-60 grand a year, now they are making 20K.
>
>

there's one reason you should not feel sorry for us... certified Pre-owned. With GM no longer leasing and the average american living pay check to pay check the smartest thing for them to do is buy cetified pre-owned. Which means they save money instead a new car and I make money due to larger profit margin.

I haven't sold a new Chevrolet yet this month, but I have sold 9 certified pre-owned and 2 non-gm pre-owned vehicles.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Shop around
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=:C6vette:;1567919621]
Originally Posted by KB9GKC

Obviously he didn't do well in school, that's why he is selling cars. You have to feel sorry for car salesman, for the past few years they were making 50-60 grand a year, now they are making 20K.
>
>

there's one reason you should not feel sorry for us... certified Pre-owned. With GM no longer leasing and the average american living pay check to pay check the smartest thing for them to do is buy cetified pre-owned. Which means they save money instead a new car and I make money due to larger profit margin.

I haven't sold a new Chevrolet yet this month, but I have sold 9 certified pre-owned and 2 non-gm pre-owned vehicles.

With 11 pre owned out the door, you're aboslutely making more than the genius's extremely rude assumption of 20K per year.

Great job. Still plenty of time left in this month.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c6run
I bet if he had the vette sitting on his lot his "sales" story would be a whole lot of "...what a great car, etc..." If their lips are moving...
His story would be these car might become collectors items so they have to charge more now..........
Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't know about that dealer, but many simply wholesale all the cars they take in on trade. His statement might be (I state might be) simply that the current wholesale price(s) are reflecting some nervousness in the used market for GM cars

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette owners trying to unload their cars fast

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
TheVetteski
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I really find it funny how people perceive car sales people. there are so many third party sources that will tell you how much a vehicle is, the invoice, the rebates, the trade value, etc. how can a dealer/sales person really cheat a client anymore. we live in the age of information.

the real thieves are the dentists. I just had to have a root canal last month and the bill came in for $2,600.00. wtf, I can't make that kind of money selling a Z06.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ben dover
Anything you hear from a car salesman is not "reality"
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS

-
The deals are great for a cash buyer, a VETTE is the best toy, not a investment. While your biding your time, I'll be enjoying my new Vette.

Quick Reply: Corvette owners trying to unload their cars fast