C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11.71 stock C6 time

Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 11.71 stock C6 time

Why does this time continue to be on this list? Almost 5 tenths quicker than the next closest car. The car was tuned and then untuned? Andrew's post tells me that he is a very smart person. He knows his stuff. Nothing against him at all, but why is this time allowed to be on the stock times? Anyone with a background of drag racing knows that two of the "same cars" are not going to be almost .5 apart.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Now that the LS3s have been out for over a year, and nobody has even come close to his time, it leads me to believe that it's simply not possible for a bone stock LS3 to run 11.7s in the quarter mile. I too think his time should be removed, it just gives people false hope.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter2001
Why does this time continue to be on this list? Almost 5 tenths quicker than the next closest car. The car was tuned and then untuned? Andrew's post tells me that he is a very smart person. He knows his stuff. Nothing against him at all, but why is this time allowed to be on the stock times? Anyone with a background of drag racing knows that two of the "same cars" are not going to be almost .5 apart.
Its just a matter of time before someone else comes in with a tuned (or modded in some other way) car which will run around the same time and "validate" the above time.

Except the person who does it, well he'll be smarter. He won't bother to tell you that it has been tuned, and will point to the time you refer to above as "proof" that his time is legit.

I'm surprised that this hasn't happened already. But I predict that it wll before year's end, or early next year.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-12-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Bowhunter2001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Its just a matter of time before someone else comes in with a tuned car which will run around the same time and "validate" the above time.

Except the person who does it, won't bother to tell you that it has been tuned.

I'm surprised that this hasn't happened already.
Quick, you and I have had discussions on this and I know what you would do on your list. Who is in charge of this list? Why doesn't he make the change? As Patman said, false hope.
Actually, as a C6 owner, I am embarrassed for anyone to see this time on the list. It makes us C6 owners look quite stupid for allowing it.

Who ever is in charge of the list, do the right thing.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
BLYOTH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What list?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Quick, you and I have had discussions on this and I know what you would do on your list. Who is in charge of this list? Why doesn't he make the change? As Patman said, false hope.
Actually, as a C6 owner, I am embarrassed for anyone to see this time on the list. It makes us C6 owners look quite stupid for allowing it.

Who ever is in charge of the list, do the right thing.
Tommy D runs the C6 Quarter mile challenge list. Known as "The C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge".

The time you refer to, generated a lot of controversy when it was initially listed.

Trap speeds were in the near 120 mph range on the day of the runs, with one actually listed at 121 mph. That trap speed however, the poster alludes, may have been a timing equipment error.

But bear in mind, it could actually have been "correct". In other words, the timing equipment apparently was working right for the other runs.....why not this one with the 121 mph trap speed?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ew-record.html

Patman mentions in another thread that the car may not have returned to stock:

"But the fact that NOBODY in a year has run in the 11s bone stock, leads me to believe that his tuning somehow wasn't returned completely to stock, and perhaps that 11 second run was made without torque management present on his car, or something like that which would cause his car to run so much quicker than the others...."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567...-post3301.html

That has always been a plausible explanation for the results of this run.

In other words, giving the benefit of the doubt and not questioning the honesty of the owner, the intent may have been to return the car back to stock,.... but no one knows if this occured successfully.

The results, being so out of whack with others, indicate very strongly, that it may not have, or actually did not successfully return to stock.

However, it still remains at the top of the list.

But like I say, one of the things which I would be concerned about, would be someone else running a similar time in a modded car, claiming it stock, and then pointing to that 11.71 to bolster their own bogus time.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-12-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It has been widely discussed that this car had been tuned and was running an exotic ethanol blend at the time the run was completed yet it somehow meets someone's definition of "bone stock" which take exception to.

The smart person in reading the list will throw out the high and throw out the low and use the meat of the list in between.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by talon90
It has been widely discussed that this car had been tuned and was running an exotic ethanol blend at the time the run was completed yet it somehow meets someone's definition of "bone stock" which take exception to.

The smart person in reading the list will throw out the high and throw out the low and use the meat of the list in between.
Good points.

The question of fuel, and tuning for ethanol blends and gasoline, did indeed come up during the discusssions of this result.

You bring up a good point about the experimentation with ethanol blends as this pertains to that car owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjdPt...eature=channel (added 4/7/08. Trap speed 120.57mph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSsR-...eature=channel (added 3/29/08)

The owner was known to have conducted experiments using various ethanol blends, and necessary tuning, etc. in a former GTO, and evaluating performance using these blends.

The one video above documents his results using it in the LS3 based C6 Corvette........Or, a question one might ask; are you looking at two videos of a Vette tuned for, and running, an E85/gasoline mix???? Thats a legit question.

The above runs, I believe, are both his too. However, the dates the videos were added indicate that the "stock" run was made about a week before the "E85 run".

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...5-capable.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-results.html

So you can draw your own conclusions.

The reader of this thread, can do his own research with regard to that, as it does or does not pertain to the car. And perhaps determine for himself, what it would mean, in terms of performance improvement, were it a factor.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Get notified of new replies

To 11.71 stock C6 time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11.71 stock C6 time