C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odered an 09 vette and having it courtesy delivered

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what he was saying is that you won't get the white glove treatment from the courtesy dealer's representative. He's not going to go over every nook and cranny or every option like the selling dealer would. There is no CSI on a courtesy delivery.

Of course the PDI pays for cleaning and prepping the car but not the actual delivery. That's what the fee is for. The less you pay, the less you get.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
truman911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default courtesy delivery

The dealer is recieving the courtesy delivery is charging me $250 and they put it in writing. I did shop around other dealers and they wanted to charge me up to $650. Inspecting the car before I pay sounds like the way to go. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tim@boardwalk
I just want to let everybody know that he did order his car from me and obviously I am a forum dealer. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things in this thread because there were some things that I read that concerned me.

1. I used to arrange the courtesy delivery and the fees, but then I got screwed by a couple of the dealers that were doing the courtesy delivery. So now I have my customer select the dealer they want to go to and then I call to confirm everything. It is a lot easier doing it this way for us.

2. I look at a courtesy delivery the same as a museum delivery. You pay for the car and then you go pick it up. I have given my customers the option to inspect the car once it arrives at the dealerships lot, but they can not pick it up until it has been paid for. Since I am the selling dealer, I would have to collect the money upfront before the car leaves the courtesy dealers lot.

3. I have done lots of these for my customers and hardly have any problems and I hope to keep doing them for my out of state customers.
Hey! This is Tim your talking about here, no worries.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 PM
pa1adin
Advanced

An idea...why not use an escrow service on deals like this. Buyer deposits payment in escrow when it's built, dealer is advised by service that payment is on account and sends the title/COA to the service. When the buyer inspects the car on delivery, he/she advises service and the service releases the payment to the dealer and the title to the buyer. Escrow service is bonded and insured to take care of any problems on their end.

A bit more complicated, but both parties are protected. Just make sure you use a legitimate escrow service. Escrow.com charges $199 for this service...cheap insurance for both parties when you're talking about $50k or more cars.

I personally would be more willing to trust forum dealers, but, no matter how nice and friendly they are, they are still a long way away from me.

Now...my local dealer...I know where he lives.

=Shannon=
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts

I did a courtesy delivery on my '07.
I was called when the car arrived at my local dealer, went down to inspect it, then wired the balance due to the selling dealer in Michigan.
I picked it up a few days later.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
I did a courtesy delivery on my '07.
I was called when the car arrived at my local dealer, went down to inspect it, then wired the balance due to the selling dealer in Michigan.
I picked it up a few days later.
The problem with the way you did the purchase is that if the buyer decided at the last moment to bail on the car, the selling dealer now has a car in which he has paid GM for and it now sits on a dealers lot out of state and he now has the expense of having the car shipped to his store. GM won't pay for Allied to do multiple hauls.
If a customer knows the dealer doing the courtesy delivery, then the transaction can be done smoothly, and I suspect most of them are.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
mikefili
Pro

Everyone seems to be making this harder than it needs to be, I ordered my 09 vert from Greg @ EVS Chevrolet, he took a small deposit upon order on my Amex card, had the car built and shipped to a local dealer, when the car arrived at the "courtsey dealer" doing the delivery I went there to inspect it, (by the way, the car was there for about a week, and he never even called me, the only way I found it was there was I went there and saw it on his lot), once I had done so I wired payment to Greg, a phone call from Greg to the local dealer was all
that was needed for him to release the car to me. Greg had mailed to me in advance the paper work including a Temp Tag,
And yes, the car was built, shipped to a dealer 1800 miles away froim EVS, all on a verbal handshake and small deposit. Could not be more risk free on my part, and easier. Just a great way to do business!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The problem with the way you did the purchase is that if the buyer decided at the last moment to bail on the car, the selling dealer now has a car in which he has paid GM for and it now sits on a dealers lot out of state and he now has the expense of having the car shipped to his store. GM won't pay for Allied to do multiple hauls.
If a customer knows the dealer doing the courtesy delivery, then the transaction can be done smoothly, and I suspect most of them are.
The dealer had my $1k deposit which would be more than enough $$$ to get it shipped back to him in the scenario you lay out.
They wanted me to pay in full before the car arrived, but I wouldn't do it that way.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

I paid in full in advance so I could pick up my car sooner.
There were no problems.
Except once I paid, I had all these bad thoughts about all the things that could go wrong.
I had a hard time sleeping at night until the car was in my possession.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

As many can see, the easier way is to order from a Forum dealer (one not too distant), rent a car one-way and pick the car up. That's what I did when I bought my '09 from MacMulkin in NH (I'm in CT). Super smooth transaction, they go over the car with a fine tooth comb, cars are all indoors, and prep guys know what they are doing. MacMulkin also supplied a 20 day Temp plate at no charge.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Why not just do museum delivery? If I lived in the US and were ordering a new Corvette, I'd get museum delivery for sure! You might only get one brand new Corvette in your lifetime, might as well go all out and pick up the car right there in Bowling Green!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM
onehdeagle
Racer

Originally Posted by mikefili
Everyone seems to be making this harder than it needs to be, I ordered my 09 vert from Greg @ EVS Chevrolet, he took a small deposit upon order on my Amex card, had the car built and shipped to a local dealer, when the car arrived at the "courtsey dealer" doing the delivery I went there to inspect it, (by the way, the car was there for about a week, and he never even called me, the only way I found it was there was I went there and saw it on his lot), once I had done so I wired payment to Greg, a phone call from Greg to the local dealer was all
that was needed for him to release the car to me. Greg had mailed to me in advance the paper work including a Temp Tag,
And yes, the car was built, shipped to a dealer 1800 miles away froim EVS, all on a verbal handshake and small deposit. Could not be more risk free on my part, and easier. Just a great way to do business!
I bought from EVS too, and knew when it was built, shipped, and arrived at the courtesy dealer. The smoothest car buying experience ever.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by truman911
I have to pay in full when it is built and then I will get it delivered to a dealer near me. How do I make sure I get it? Im a little nervous about putting up 50k and not having the vette in my possession. and what if it arrives and its not what I ordered? Has anyone bought a vette like this? having it courtesy delivered?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Jeff Pedersen
Burning Brakes

Never pay for a car until you see it first. If you need to put $1000 down do it with a credit card. Courtesy delivery? Ask them not to touch the car until you arrive. Wash it for the first time yourself. I took plastic off car, seats, opened floor mats in plastic bag myself, and plastic off interior parts. Z-Frank Chevrolet in Chicago followed my instructions to the letter.

If your not as **** about the cars finish and looks as me just disregard this post.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

I did the courtesy deliver route back in October, with Reliable, having the car dropped in North Texas, a smooth transactions, the salesman was easy to get hold of and work with, kept me up to date on everything, and the car arrived just fine.

The only interesting aspect was when they called to say the car had arrived, I said I'd be there around 5ish. The wife drives me up to the dealer. The car is sitting out ready to go, looking purty. I hop out and walk up to the car, and start giving it the hard once over. A young salesman comes out. And understand, While I've talked with folks on the phone there, I haven't met anyone, and I've got a pretty generic Texas accent (they need a smiley with a straw hangin' outa his mouth).

The salesman says "Are you Paul?" I pause and say "Yeah." He says "How's it look?" And I say "Great." He says "You want me to show you how it all works?" And I declined, I already knew most of it. Then we chatted generally about Vettes for a couple minutes. He then hands me the fobs, shakes hands and waves goodbye and heads back into the shop.

Didn't have me sign anything, never looked at an ID, nothing. I was soooo tempted to call him 10 minutes later and say "Hey, sorry I haven't made it yet, I should be along in another ten minutes or so", just to hear the response.

But it really was a hassle free experience. I had sent payment to the dealer a couple days earlier. As a lawyer, I know what to do if they don't deliver what they promise, so I wasn't concerned. And Reliable has a good reputation, and that means a lot in a deal like this, to me.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an 09 Vert from David Patton at Reliable Chevrolet. He took my cerdit card for a $500 deposit (he never even ran the card) and ordered the car the next day. 32 days later,the car is delivered to a dealer in So Calif and I hadn't paid a single dime on the car at that point. I checked out the car, paid the courtesy dealer $100 to PDI the car and all the paperwork was done back and forth with Reliable using overnight DHL. The paperwork was done in a week and the car was delivered to me by the local courtesy dealer. I got a brand new 09 at GMS and I was happy as I could be! Give David a call at (800) 725-5800 Ex.404 and tell him that Kent reccomended him to you.!!!

Quick Reply: Odered an 09 vette and having it courtesy delivered