C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A friend looking to test drive a C6 DFW TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
99C5x
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A friend looking to test drive a C6 DFW TODAY!

CF peoples!,

I've got a real good friend that needs to test drive C6 sometime soon. He is seriously contemplating a 2010 C6 Z06 but he'd like to get a feel for a drive on a base C6 (manual).

Now, when I purchased my Corvette 2.5yrs ago it wasn't HARD to test drive. I remember walking into Corvette Country in ATX and the staff was really friendly. Hell I test drove 3 cars that same day...

My friend Jasen lives in NW Dallas region. So I'm looking for a dealership response in the near surroundings that would allow a upstanding potential C6 owner test drive a C6...

I've got trouble believing that they won't let him test drive one so easily, but he has been denied twice...today-

Looking forward to responses.
Pablo-
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
KWIKC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 99C5x
CF peoples!,

I've got a real good friend that needs to test drive C6 sometime soon. He is seriously contemplating a 2010 C6 Z06 but he'd like to get a feel for a drive on a base C6 (manual).

Now, when I purchased my Corvette 2.5yrs ago it wasn't HARD to test drive. I remember walking into Corvette Country in ATX and the staff was really friendly. Hell I test drove 3 cars that same day...

My friend Jasen lives in NW Dallas region. So I'm looking for a dealership response in the near surroundings that would allow a upstanding potential C6 owner test drive a C6...

I've got trouble believing that they won't let him test drive one so easily, but he has been denied twice...today-

Pablo-
MOst dealers here do not test drive Vettes. The reason is most guys are really **** when buying a car and don't want one that already has some miles on it and I don't blame them. I would try Classic in Grapevine, they have a large number of cars and there may be a chance they keep a demo. The owner of Lynn Smith Chevrolet was driving one when I bought mine. hen he was in the office they would use that as a demo.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by KWIKC6
MOst dealers here do not test drive Vettes. The reason is most guys are really **** when buying a car and don't want one that already has some miles on it and I don't blame them. I would try Classic in Grapevine, they have a large number of cars and there may be a chance they keep a demo. The owner of Lynn Smith Chevrolet was driving one when I bought mine. hen he was in the office they would use that as a demo.
Wow,Thats crazy! Never heard of a dealer that wouldnt let a potential customer( whos not some kid just wanting a joy ride in the latest car de jour or a serial killer looking type) test drive a car. Never was I turned away at dealers and Ive test driven many top shelf vehicles over the years, including several C6's and a Z06. Thats just not good business on their part. Cant imagine anyone buying a car from a dealer that turned them away from a test drive.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
99C5x
Racer

Default thx

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will tell him to check out those two places.

Yes I know it is quite crazy that they wouldn't let him test drive a SERIOUS consideration.

Maybe people in Austin are a little happier and more liberal...haha!

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep it coming =)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

I won't buy any new car with over 12 miles on the clock.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
BDillon
Instructor

Call Scott Grahek at Frank Parra (214)293-0848 (cell).
Scott is a great guy and a good friend.
We becam friends when he worked at Huffines in Plano and he sold me my 08 C6.

Tell him Bill Dillon gave you his number.

Bill
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
99C5x
Racer

Default Thx!

B-Stock,

You have every reason in the world to be ****. It is your purchase options My friend was trying to test drive a Used C6 with at least 2000+ miles...

Bill,

Thanks bud! I shall relay this information.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

He could rent a Hertz overnight...
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/i...dRegion=United States
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

CF peoples!,

Pablo-
Let him drive yours.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by metal
I don't believe Hertz or any other major rental companys have manuals.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 PM
vetten00b
Heel & Toe

im the friend he was referring to.

he let me drive his vette when he first bought it a few years ago, but as i didnt want to hurt his new baby or mess with his seat adjustments too much, it was one of those awkward, yet thrilling rides =p

i'm 6'6" and a big boy. i have little doubt in my mind id love the vette and its capabilities. the biggest concern i had was my size. am i going to be able to get in/out without looking completely dumb, can i shift naturally (ie, can my left leg fit under the console - big problem in other cars for me). at one of hte dealerships who turned me away from a test drive, they let me sit in an automatic (thanks, i asked for a manual for a reason!), with some very minor seat adjusting (way back and tilted!), i felt like i had enough clearance to drive fine, but wasnt convinced.

as he mentioned, i was looking very hard into the 2010 z06 with the caddy V as a fall back (mainly due to size constraints). I was mainly wanting to answer the comfort level more than anything. i dont think i can really figure that out without driving the new c6 interior. plus im also curious how comfortable are the seats =P

and im sure he'd let me test drive his vette, except he lives about 4-5 hours away =P

It's a hard sell telling a new car salesman you want to look into a new z06 and ask to test drive a used c6, or hell even say you're interested in a used z06 and ask to drive a used c6! was shocked to get turned down from 2 dealerships. i guess it's possible they thought i was some punk wanting to joyride... i was wearing street clothes and hadnt shaved in a few days =x

i'll look into the hertz recommendation if no one happens to know of a lewisville-ish dealer who would let me test drive. I'm going to call 2 of the dealers posted here sometime this weekend i think as well and see how my luck turns. if anyone knows of one closer to lewisville, tx, im all ears =P thanks for the posts!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Trick is to roll into the dealership lot driving another high dollar ride. Ive test drove a new Challenger SRT, new Camaro SS, C6 Z06, Viper, etc using this very method. If you come in driving your daily driver honda accord or whatever theyre not likely to take you very seriously and will rpobably think youre only there for a joyride.

DFW Mark
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
vetten00b
Heel & Toe

ya, i just confirmed the hertz rentals are shift paddles, not manual =(
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM
vetten00b
Heel & Toe

i've been saving my money for some time now... i've only got a lowly monte carlo, nothing special. it doesnt exactly scream daddy warbucks. i thought about wearing some nice dress slacks and shirt lol.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by metal
The Hertz Car's are all AUTO's
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

B-Stock,

You have every reason in the world to be ****. It is your purchase options My friend was trying to test drive a Used C6 with at least 2000+ miles...

Bill,

Thanks bud! I shall relay this information.
Wow that's pretty shocking. When I found my white 2008 I was rolling off the lot on my test drive within 5 minutes of arrival. They didn't even check to see if I had a current drivers license. Basically all they knew about me was that I was military because I found the dealer through USAA. I say find another dealer.

Oh yeah and I drove a 2007 Forester to the lot. So its not like I showed up in another high dollar ride.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow. in '07 i went to three different dealers and they all let me test drive. i didn't ask either...they offered them up.

Get notified of new replies

To A friend looking to test drive a C6 DFW TODAY!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten00b
ya, i just confirmed the hertz rentals are shift paddles, not manual =(
How old are you? Do you have any major credit cards? Did you ask thrm why not? I cant think of any reason you cant get a test drive at a dealer.
How far does your friend(OP) live from you? I would drive a good distance to help a buddy out. Texas is a huge state, maybe its just way to far.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
vetten00b
Heel & Toe

friend is in houston, im in north dallas. bit of a far drive.

the answer i got at the first place was "out of respect for the new owners, huffines as a policy doesnt allow test drives" which i kind of felt was a load of crap.

im mid 20's. definately on the young side to be looking at a vette. i've been saving money for some time now, so i can definately see why someone might take a glance and think "ya right".

he has actually drove up several times, but i never really had any urge to drive it honestly. mainly because i know how envious i'd get =P

btw, if anyone lives up this way, im referring to the used huffines dealer in lewisville off 35 E just south of 121.
Huffines Chevrolet Subaru Lewisville. guy told me to call him "MG".
Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 PM
classicpettit
Cruising

Originally Posted by B-STOCK
I won't buy any new car with over 12 miles on the clock.
"the answer i got at the first place was "out of respect for the new owners, huffines as a policy doesnt allow test drives" which i kind of felt was a load of crap."

You two should sit down and talk.

Quick Reply: A friend looking to test drive a C6 DFW TODAY!