C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock C6 - My mod list - looking for advice/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
bterwilliger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock C6 - My mod list - looking for advice/opinions

Newish here, have a bone stock 2005 coupe and want to 'finish' it off with a few things. I'd appreciate the thoughts and direction of the knowledgable masses here. I know some won't like the cosmetic stuff, but we all are a bit different...
  1. Chrome exhaust tips - the rear end just looks incomplete to me. What is the best way to do this? I'd consider a SLIGHTLY more aggressive cat-back, but just tips would tide me over for now.
  2. Tint - car is liquid silver metallic - should I go black or metallic on the tint?
  3. Longtubes and hi-flows - now for the real mods. How bad is this for a DIY'er with no lift? Who should I go with?
  4. CAI - From a lot of reading on here, the vararam is the way to go.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Here are my mods. I have an SLP Powerflo exhaust that covers the entire opening. I have also done some stuff to the interior and engine bay.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

I also have a silver 05 as well. Enjoy modding. I did.. I have pretty dark tint on mine along with a few other toys..

IMO for your questions
Exhaust tips are a waste..cheapest way to do it w/ some sound is flowmasters..I would lean towards, borlas, Corsa, etc..
Long tubes, there are a few good companies but only have had LGs and enjoyed them.
CAI I went with Lingenfelter and feel they have a quality unit

Last edited by XCELER8; 10-26-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
bterwilliger
Racer

Originally Posted by XCELER8
I also have a silver 05 as well. Enjoy modding. I did.. I have pretty dark tint on mine along with a few other toys..

IMO for your questions
Exhaust tips are a waste..cheapest way to do it w/ some sound is flowmasters..I would lean towards, borlas, Corsa, etc..
Long tubes, there are a few good companies but only have had LGs and enjoyed them.
CAI I went with Lingenfelter and feel they have a quality unit
Beautiful car. Is it a z06, or did you put the rear quarters on aftermarket? I love the hood. I have heard the corsa and borla systems on the highway and they are just too loud for me (this is my daily driver in the summer). Who has a 'drivable' cat-back.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd just go with a catback exhaust for a little performance and better tips. As funds allow, add the headers later. Real tough / near impossible with no lift.
Tint - metallic or mirrored? Watch out for metallic if you have a Nav sys, and mirrored is too ricer.
For the CAI, I can't help ya there, still looking myself.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bterwilliger
Beautiful car. Is it a z06, or did you put the rear quarters on aftermarket? I love the hood. I have heard the corsa and borla systems on the highway and they are just too loud for me (this is my daily driver in the summer). Who has a 'drivable' cat-back.
Just Z06 rears..

Also, if you want quiet I would stay away from headers...B&B has a nice tone no resonance on certain models.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I would go with the black window tint. watch out for going too dark on the side windows, hard to see at night. Exhaust, soooo many choices out there. the 4" round tips look killer, always try to ride in a car that has the set-up that you are considering. Coupes and convertables sound diffrent inside the cabin. The sound is up to you. Headers, again numerous choices. I would recommend that you have them jet hot coated. They will not turn colors after heat cycled or rust or anything negative. High-flow cats, the stink with out the cats is not worth the 2 or 3 HP. Cold air, Several good true cold air choices. VeraRam, Callaway Honker, Ligenfelter etc. All of this has worked for me, but just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Hankster7
Instructor

Nice interior BaPd77. Where's you get the floor mats?

Tx
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 AM
crewzir
8th Gear

Default Cai

Added Breathless Vortex Ram Air to 05 A4. Obvious improvement first time out. Bet all brands breath better than stock. Bit of work installing the Breathless.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I've had the Borla stingers on my daily driver and I'm happy with them, but I'm still using the stock exhaust manifold. Borla and Corsa also make a touring version of their systems that you may prefer with the long tube headers.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tint needs pro install but bolt-on tips and the Vararam are doable yourself. If you have jack stands and a good lift, you could do the headers/cats install yourself, but quite a lot of work and better if you have help. However to make the CAI and headers live up to their potential, I highly recommend getting it tuned so why not let the tuner do the installs... unless you're on a restrictive budget.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
bterwilliger
Racer

Can someone point me to bolt on tips that look decent? Having a hard time finding any. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Stock C6 - My mod list - looking for advice/opinions

Quick Reply: Stock C6 - My mod list - looking for advice/opinions