C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on lowering and using pucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
z28flash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on lowering and using pucks

As the front air dam is already what, 3 1/2 inches off the ground, if I use the stock bolts and lower, does the dam drop to like 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches? I already run on just about every little dip or speed bump, though I know it's designed to take it. Seems like it will rub on just about everything, but I love the lowered look.

Also, can I use the same pucks I got for my C5 on the C6? I'll have to jack it up to get to the lower bolts, and so this might be important to know!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM
America'sSportsCar
Instructor

The front air dam will be about an 1" and 13/16ths from the ground at it's lowest point. Make sure you get an alignment done after lowering.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you lower your car I would sugest installing Rocker Protection Rails to prevent the possablity of rocker damage due to high centering. And you won't need the pucks anymore.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM
james1990
Burning Brakes

how do you lower the car on bolts..or even replace the bolts with the lowering bolt kits? i tried to have my shop do it and they said it was a huge job that requires takeing the shocks off or something...everyone on the forum talks as if it is a simple job..am i missing something?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
z28flash
Racer

Default can be more difficult

Originally Posted by james1990
how do you lower the car on bolts..or even replace the bolts with the lowering bolt kits? i tried to have my shop do it and they said it was a huge job that requires takeing the shocks off or something...everyone on the forum talks as if it is a simple job..am i missing something?
I contacted West Coast Corvettes, and they informed me that to replace the lowering bolts and lower the car is about 3 hours of labor plus the cost of the bolts.

Usually it is just a matter of turning the existing lowering bolts...but if you have a Z06 it might be different. There are several threads on how to do it if you do a search.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Lowering a C6 on its bolts shouldnt take a dealer more than 1 hour AT TOPS. Add some time for an alignment and thats it!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM
America'sSportsCar
Instructor

I have only adjusted my lowering bolts (piece of cake) but base on my observations, some suspension components will get in the way of easily screwing the bolts completely out. It's like you're so close but yet so far away when looking at it. I image it would take a few hours with the right tools, equipment and knowing what to do, to remove enough suspension pieces to finally screw the bolts out. So, this has the potential to be a real hassle if you're unprepared to install a lowering bolt kit.

Last edited by America'sSportsCar; 10-26-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 AM
RustyBullets
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lowering bolts

I did the fronts only so far. (twice as a matter of fact) Each side on the front takes about 15 minutes. You need a floor jack, a jack stand, and a 10mm box wrench. Put a piece of paper tape around the bolt with an ink mark on it and turn it counterclockwise. count the turns to make both sides even. I went 2 1/2 turns. I haven't tried the rear yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on lowering and using pucks

Quick Reply: Question on lowering and using pucks