C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Gaining Ground vs Manual.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
More people prefer Corvettes equipped with automatic transmissions. For the 08 model year 54.2% of all Corvettes built had automatic transmissions. Only 33.3% of all Corvettes left the Bowling Green Assembly Plant with manual transmissions. www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com. AUTOMATICS RULE!!!

If automatic transmissions rule then why can't you buy a Z06 with an auto? Hell, for that matter throw the ZR-1 in there, oh yeah you can't get that in auto either.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
If automatic transmissions rule then why can't you buy a Z06 with an auto? Hell, for that matter throw the ZR-1 in there, oh yeah you can't get that in auto either.
What rules has nothing to do with it, Its the HP rating in the Z06 that keeps it from having an Auto. When GM Upgrades the Auto to handle the extra power, Z06s will be available with Autos and GM will sell boat loads of them.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Rowing through the gears is a big part of the fun.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

If it did not have a manuel, I would not bother owning a Vette. I would go for a different type of Sports car or maybe buy a boat. I would have to belive that GM would never ruin the ZO6/ZR1 with the addition of a slushbox and removable top.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
What rules has nothing to do with it, Its the HP rating in the Z06 that keeps it from having an Auto. When GM Upgrades the Auto to handle the extra power, Z06s will be available with Autos and GM will sell boat loads of them.
It's here. The Cadillac CTS-V offers a six speed auto with much more torque (the actual limiting factor - not horsepower) than the Z06.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Interesting note about this Article is it says Corvette owners will probably never change. So a Manual will be around forever even if the Technology makes them Faster etc.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=656470

That's an ignorant statement (the magazine, not you) since they sell more automatic tranny vettes than manual.

I enjoy driving an MN6 more, it's that simple. If I bought the car purely for drag racing, or had to drive it as my DD in traffic, then I would get the auto.

When I'm 80 y.o. and my hip does - I'll get the auto Until then, I'll enjoy the manual.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
That's an ignorant statement (the magazine, not you) since they sell more automatic tranny vettes than manual.

I enjoy driving an MN6 more, it's that simple. If I bought the car purely for drag racing, or had to drive it as my DD in traffic, then I would get the auto.

When I'm 80 y.o. and my hip does - I'll get the auto Until then, I'll enjoy the manual.
I'm mid 30's and I'm on the Fence (Made switch to 6spd Auto for the C6). I was hardcore Manual in my 20s...

I can only Imagine what the 40's will bring... LOL.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
I think its somewhat hypocritical to own a manual... complain that Automatics are not sports cars... and never taken a performance driving class. Learning to drive on your Dads rust bucket does not make you a top notch Manual driver.

So if your never going to take performance driving classes with your Manual... you might as well have purchased an Automatic because I guarantee self-learning is holding you back.

I own an MN6 because it makes me smile more than an auto would. What else matters? I don't need to justify it to anyone. I have taken one day of driving school and am 100% convinced that I could be much better with more schooling. But then again, I knew that before I took the class.

If you check all of my posts, you'll see I am not an MN6 owner who thinks peole w/ auto are ****, wimps, etc. I am firm believer in buying what you want and justifying it to no one. I think if enough people want an A6 Z06 to make it profitable, GM should build it.

Maybe you are just annoyed at those who pick at Corvett owners with autos? I have seen the same silly statements about "Z51 is a waste of money if you don't track it - Z06 wannabe / poseur", etc...... . But again, these statements are probably motivated by those w/o Z51 getting tired of people raving about theirs.

Unfortunately, there will always be factions.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by charlies ls3
68 427 vette t top 390 hp 4 speed,70 442 vert 455 4 speed ,67 ss396 4speed [my first car ,was ragged out ]73 gto 400 4 speed,68 327 350hp vette vert 4 speed ,78 z 28 350 4 speed,1990 vette vert 6 spd mn[2clutchs porsche 928 auto[bore fest]79,80,81 vettes autos[borefest]84 z51 auto [fun but needed kidney belt]08 cpe 3lt npp mild to wild 6a my best vette evershifts could be firmer,down shifts great, feels like a manual & sounds like one,my $2000.00 CLUTCH JOBS ARE HISTORY[had 2 on my 90 i supplied hp assembley the second time. defective ,had to pay twice clutchs in my work trks ,its just a personal choice .they both have there +-s i drove 07 z51 6mn ,then drove 08 6a 273 gears & it felt a lot faster,a shame the 07 was 11k discount ,i bought the 0811months still happy
I've driven many cars similar to the very fine ones you list above. Trust me, your C6 is head and shoulders above the cars you list, but it has nothing to do with the A6. It's because the C6 is a great car. Also, the '07 did not have an LS3. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
That is the technology already exists. If they wanted to ruin the Z06 with an automatic transmission they could have already done that.
By the way, don't confuse an auto tranny with an SMG tranny that still needs to be manually shifted and has a clutch, just no pedal.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
More people prefer Corvettes equipped with automatic transmissions. For the 08 model year 54.2% of all Corvettes built had automatic transmissions. Only 33.3% of all Corvettes left the Bowling Green Assembly Plant with manual transmissions. www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com. AUTOMATICS RULE!!!
Isn't the avg. age of a Vette owner 50 or so? I'm sure you get the a age that you don't feel like shifting gears.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I own an MN6 because it makes me smile more than an auto would. What else matters? I don't need to justify it to anyone. I have taken one day of driving school and am 100% convinced that I could be much better with more schooling. But then again, I knew that before I took the class.

If you check all of my posts, you'll see I am not an MN6 owner who thinks peole w/ auto are ****, wimps, etc. I am firm believer in buying what you want and justifying it to no one. I think if enough people want an A6 Z06 to make it profitable, GM should build it.

Maybe you are just annoyed at those who pick at Corvett owners with autos? I have seen the same silly statements about "Z51 is a waste of money if you don't track it - Z06 wannabe / poseur", etc...... . But again, these statements are probably motivated by those w/o Z51 getting tired of people raving about theirs.

Unfortunately, there will always be factions.
Well Said. I agree 100% - I'm totally for people getting what they want.

The comments about C6 / or future Z06 not being a sports car with an Auto are pretty biased. People have to remember nothing is ruined if the owner is happy.

As fellow Vette owners I do not think Auto's cross the line. It is definitely a sports car with an Auto.

BTW - S mode is really responsive... The slushbox comments are way out of proportion.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Hankster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I learned to drive performance cars on a 68 Camaro SS396 with a Muncie M21 4 speed.

All the things that people complain about on this and other forums were present in this old trans except a few.

The linkage was sometimes imprecise. The 2-3 shift could be blown if not careful. The shift **** vibrated and rattled. ( I would generally drive holding the **** better to feel the power. )

The clutch was direct.....no sissy hydraulic assist. No slave cylinder, no stupid silly clutch spring to break. And I, 18 when I got the car new, and in fairly good shape, had a sore left leg for weeks until I got used to the exercise involved in depressing the clutch pedal.

And people complain about driving a hydraulic assisted C6 in stop and go traffic. That car's clutch was like a B17's control surfaces. Human powered via cables.

By the way, I NEVER had to worry about the clutch pedal sticking to the floor or changing the dumb clutch fluid on the hydro assist. And...the clutch never slipped. I suspect it would be strong enough for a LS7 and perhaps better.

That's how I learned to shift a manual....connected to the car's driveline directly. BTW the gas pedal was connected via a direct cable too.

Now, if the manufacturers get any more fancy with the torque management and other computer controls on engine and trans the "manual" might lose even more of it's appeal.

For me, a vette with an automatic is not a performance enthusiasts car. Some over in the Z06 section have opined that people who buy "base" vettes are just looking for a car to drive and not interested in performance. This is bunk of course.

My opinion is also bunk but it's my opinion. I know some people who consider themselves performance oriented have C6 with autos. They talk about how the auto is a tiny bit faster etc. But my old timer opinion stands because I grew up with manuals and like the more direct control they supply.

Tactile feedback you could say.

I am glad the Z06 is available only with the manual. That is how it should be whether they could put one in the car or not. Also, the ZR1, a auto ZR1 would be a crime against car culture.

If you disagree with me about manuals vs autos then , IMO, you just never "got it" and probably won't ever "get it".

It's like telling someone who says they need the "head UP display" to shift properly that you shift by feel, touch, movement, and sound...NOT by watching a graph. You shift when you shift cause you are connected to the machine, part of it, and this connection is via the manual trans.

If you don't get this I suspect you like autos. You mash the gas and the car goes. You are not tied into anything but steering and , yes, I know you can paddle through the gears. I can only say, with perfect honesty, LOL to that.

Our society has changed much ...gotten softer and more interested in having others do our work. Autos fit right into this picture.

In luxury cars I like em. In performance cars I hate em. If it were up to me I'd remove the stupid hydralic assist cylinder and spring and make the C6 clutch cable actuated. Oh the whining that would cause no doubt.

For all the trouble these assists cause the leg work would be worth it. And, if a person could not depress the clutch then they could always get an automatic. That's what autos are for, IMO, people who can't drive a manual.

At least that's the way it used to be. And, since I was full on power shifting that big block at 18 I suspect I earned the right to say I was there and did that.

Well said!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Jeff Pedersen
Burning Brakes

I have driven both and slighly prefer the auto.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Jeff Pedersen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I learned to drive performance cars on a 68 Camaro SS396 with a Muncie M21 4 speed.

All the things that people complain about on this and other forums were present in this old trans except a few.

The linkage was sometimes imprecise. The 2-3 shift could be blown if not careful. The shift **** vibrated and rattled. ( I would generally drive holding the **** better to feel the power. )

The clutch was direct.....no sissy hydraulic assist. No slave cylinder, no stupid silly clutch spring to break. And I, 18 when I got the car new, and in fairly good shape, had a sore left leg for weeks until I got used to the exercise involved in depressing the clutch pedal.

And people complain about driving a hydraulic assisted C6 in stop and go traffic. That car's clutch was like a B17's control surfaces. Human powered via cables.

By the way, I NEVER had to worry about the clutch pedal sticking to the floor or changing the dumb clutch fluid on the hydro assist. And...the clutch never slipped. I suspect it would be strong enough for a LS7 and perhaps better.

That's how I learned to shift a manual....connected to the car's driveline directly. BTW the gas pedal was connected via a direct cable too.

Now, if the manufacturers get any more fancy with the torque management and other computer controls on engine and trans the "manual" might lose even more of it's appeal.

For me, a vette with an automatic is not a performance enthusiasts car. Some over in the Z06 section have opined that people who buy "base" vettes are just looking for a car to drive and not interested in performance. This is bunk of course.

My opinion is also bunk but it's my opinion. I know some people who consider themselves performance oriented have C6 with autos. They talk about how the auto is a tiny bit faster etc. But my old timer opinion stands because I grew up with manuals and like the more direct control they supply.

Tactile feedback you could say.

I am glad the Z06 is available only with the manual. That is how it should be whether they could put one in the car or not. Also, the ZR1, a auto ZR1 would be a crime against car culture.

If you disagree with me about manuals vs autos then , IMO, you just never "got it" and probably won't ever "get it".

It's like telling someone who says they need the "head UP display" to shift properly that you shift by feel, touch, movement, and sound...NOT by watching a graph. You shift when you shift cause you are connected to the machine, part of it, and this connection is via the manual trans.

If you don't get this I suspect you like autos. You mash the gas and the car goes. You are not tied into anything but steering and , yes, I know you can paddle through the gears. I can only say, with perfect honesty, LOL to that.

Our society has changed much ...gotten softer and more interested in having others do our work. Autos fit right into this picture.

In luxury cars I like em. In performance cars I hate em. If it were up to me I'd remove the stupid hydralic assist cylinder and spring and make the C6 clutch cable actuated. Oh the whining that would cause no doubt.

For all the trouble these assists cause the leg work would be worth it. And, if a person could not depress the clutch then they could always get an automatic. That's what autos are for, IMO, people who can't drive a manual.

At least that's the way it used to be. And, since I was full on power shifting that big block at 18 I suspect I earned the right to say I was there and did that.
I agree with Rogers 07. And to add a little something. This may be the longest post that made the least sense in the history of this forum. You have to be kidding..
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
They can have my stick when they pry it from my cold dead hand.
Seriously, the manual in my Corvette just adds to the whole experience for me. I could care less how great they make the automatics, I don't think I would ever consider one in a Corvette unless there were some physical impairment or something that necessitated it.
I learned how to drive on a manual tranny car about forty years ago.
On the other hand, my wife wishes the Corvette were an automatic because she can't drive a stick. You would be surprised at how many guys I know that can't drive one either. They learned how to drive in an automatic car and never found the need to learn how to drive a stick. I'm sure that this is a factor in the decision to go with an automatic for a percentage of Corvette buyers.
Even though some of these paddle shifting transmissions may have quicker track times, I drive 100% on the street and enjoy the involvement of a manual transmission. I feel more connected with the car's driving abilities. It's simply more fun to drive! It's a personal choice, nothing more!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

It's been said before... a sports car is about control and involvement in the driving process, not which one is 0.05 seconds faster.

For me, a manual transmission gives me a sense of mechanical involvement with the car. When you are slotting that shift lever, feeling the engagement of the gears in each gate, and finessing the engagement of the clutch... it creates a intermeshing of man and machine that I personally cannot get from pushing electric buttons on a steering wheel. I keep trying each new 'sports' automatic... from the paddle-shifted C6 to the SMG-equipped BMWs. Each one is indeed nice, and can produce impressive acceleration that can eclipse a manual-transmission car... banging out upshifts that are likely faster than I can perform manually. But ... missing is that involvement that I need when I really want to feel like I am 'driving', instead of just 'riding'.

I don't have a problem with people who drive automatic Corvettes -- we each have our own way of getting enjoyment from our rides, and thats cool. Just don't try to tell me that somehow manual transmissions are for those who are simple-minded technophobes, and are foolish for refusing to acquiesce to the 'better' automatic.

Last edited by Kent1999; 10-27-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Gaining Ground vs Manual.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 AM
crewzir
8th Gear

With automatic sales so high there might not be new Corvettes if only sticks were offered. Probably not enough demand to make Corvette feasible for GM accountants and stockholders. Best for all of us that both are offered keep production going. Kinda like the Mustang GT, there would not be one for the Ford guys if they did not sell so many 6cly models. Both companys are doing it only for the money.
BTW - with the Cad automatic available, there could be a Z06 automatic in our Corvette near future. Like it or not. Opens up the choice for those whos wife says its gotta be automatic. Bet GM is well aware of that.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by jschindler
Honestly, I don't think most people buy one or the other based upon whether or not it performs better. If that were the case, how would the automatic have outsold the manual all these years?

There are people who love to shift gears, and those who don't. And probably 98% of all Corvettes are never driven competitively anyway. I for one could care less whether mine is a tenth faster or slower - I just care which is more fun to drive.
You hit the nail right on the head, well said. You either like driving a manual tranny or you don't. Personally, I do so I bought one. It's just that simple.

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Isn't the avg. age of a Vette owner 50 or so? I'm sure you get the a age that you don't feel like shifting gears.
And at the ripe ol age of 53 I guess I should start looking for a retirement home also.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
That is the technology already exists. If they wanted to ruin the Z06 with an automatic transmission they could have already done that.
By the way, don't confuse an auto tranny with an SMG tranny that still needs to be manually shifted and has a clutch, just no pedal.
Just to clarify, an SMG does not have to be shifted manually - in fact, none of those types of transmission has to be shifted manually. They all have computers that allow them to shift gears automatically. Why everyone insists on calling them manual transmissions is a total mystery to me. Whats the difference what happens in the bowels of the transmission.

To me, what makes one an automatic and one a manual is whether or not the driver has to MANUALLY changes the gears. Why don't we call automatics manuals if they are capable of being shifter manually (as everyone one of them is).

Quick Reply: Automatic Gaining Ground vs Manual.