C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexplained Beeping/honking

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09
Default Unexplained Beeping/honking

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed already but a search turned up nothing.

I've had my 2007 C6 Z06 about a month and a half and about 4 or 5 times now when I have shut off my car and gotten out of the vehicle it has beeped/honked at me 3 times in a row. I can't figure out what the "warning/alarm" means. In all cases I have had my fob in my pocket and in every case when I have returned to the car (after an hour or two) the car exhibits the "dinging" alarm when I enter the car until I close the door.

I was going to ask a friend of mine (who has an '08 C6) if he knew what it was about and before the words even got out of my mouth at a recent get-together, his did exactly the same thing and he disavowed any knowledge of an explanation.

Does anyone know what this is all about??

Tom
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yeah, it has something to do with the fob recognition, etc. etc. After awhile from time of engine shut down, fob tells car to beep to tell you you're nearby and may have left the fob in the car or some such thing. As to the dinging on entry, not sure. Did you like that explanation? Think I could be more vague?

One of these days, when it gets really important to me I'll go read up on it in the manual. If you get there first, pm or email what I should do and I'll make up a little sticky and put it in my garage. I mean, after all, what are friends for?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

If you're getting out of the car in the garage or some other place where its kind of tight and you only open the door enough to get out, the car sometimes registers the fob as still in the car and gives a 3-beep warning. Mine does it sometimes in the garage.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I get the same 3 beep warning if I'm standing too close to the side of the car when I close the door. If you have the room, stand back a bit and you probably won't get that warning.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3 beeps = PLEASE DON"T LEAVE ME!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
jcdreamer
Advanced

Happened to me a few times. Now I always keep the fob in my left pocket and it hasn't happened since.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Red C6 Z06
In all cases I have had my fob in my pocket and in every case when I have returned to the car (after an hour or two) the car exhibits the "dinging" alarm when I enter the car until I close the door.

Tom
I get the dinging alarm when fob #2 is used to enter the car. It doesn't do it all the time, but enough to be annoying. It also stops when the door is closed and everything works normally. It never does this with fob #1.

I tried reprogramming it on the DIC, but it made no difference. I just reset the seat settings for the fob and will see if that makes any difference. If I can't figure it out, I'll let the dealer play with it and see if he can correct it. I'm sure it's a programming glitch in the fob itself.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 AM
EuroVette07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try turning the FOB reminder OFF on the DIC, I get the same warning but only when both FOB's are in the car.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by jcdreamer
Happened to me a few times. Now I always keep the fob in my left pocket and it hasn't happened since.
OMG! another one gone to the dark side

This 3 beeping has happened to me. Like foremaw said, it is when I'm in the garage and open the door only enough (barely) to get out....
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StanNH
I get the dinging alarm when fob #2 is used to enter the car. It doesn't do it all the time, but enough to be annoying. It also stops when the door is closed and everything works normally. It never does this with fob #1.

I tried reprogramming it on the DIC, but it made no difference. I just reset the seat settings for the fob and will see if that makes any difference. If I can't figure it out, I'll let the dealer play with it and see if he can correct it. I'm sure it's a programming glitch in the fob itself.

Have your dealer try this....(This was printed before '09 Model Year)

PIC4642A Occasional No Fob Detected Message on DIC or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside of Vehicle - keywords chime chirp horn no program RCDLR RKE transmitter - Jan 14 2008 Models 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette Cadillac XLR and V-Series

2005-2007 Software Version 25927325
2008 25927326

This was posted on the forum a while back. I printed the full copy and have full instructions for your dealer if you need it.

I had the same problem and actually I think it's worse. I'm sure it works for others.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
08VRCOUPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by C2C6Z06
OMG! another one gone to the dark side

This 3 beeping has happened to me. Like foremaw said, it is when I'm in the garage and open the door only enough (barely) to get out....
This happens once in a while to me also. I just learned something from all you guys. Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
freyke
Burning Brakes

It's normal, it will honk three short blasts when you get in and out of the car without closing the door and then close the door with you (and the fob) inside the cabin. It's trying to remind you about the fob possibly being left in the car unattended, and therefore tantamount to leaving the keys in the ignition.

Last edited by freyke; 10-07-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red C6 Z06
I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed already but a search turned up nothing.

I've had my 2007 C6 Z06 about a month and a half and about 4 or 5 times now when I have shut off my car and gotten out of the vehicle it has beeped/honked at me 3 times in a row. I can't figure out what the "warning/alarm" means. In all cases I have had my fob in my pocket and in every case when I have returned to the car (after an hour or two) the car exhibits the "dinging" alarm when I enter the car until I close the door.

I was going to ask a friend of mine (who has an '08 C6) if he knew what it was about and before the words even got out of my mouth at a recent get-together, his did exactly the same thing and he disavowed any knowledge of an explanation.

Does anyone know what this is all about??

Tom
Several have already noted that the car thinks you left the FOB in the car, which results in the 3-beep warning. I would surmise the "dinging" sound when you return is because the car still thinks the FOB is inside. It is no different than leaving the keys in the ignition of any "normal' car. When the door opens, the dinging starts to remind you the keys are in the ignition.

BTW, I have gone to the FOB in left pocket also, which seems to have pretty much eliminated the car's confusion.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the left pocket trick first and go from there if that doesn't work.

Thanks again all,
Tom
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Exactly what happened to me about an hour ago.
Originally Posted by foremaw
If you're getting out of the car in the garage or some other place where its kind of tight and you only open the door enough to get out, the car sometimes registers the fob as still in the car and gives a 3-beep warning. Mine does it sometimes in the garage.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
yankintx
Pro

Originally Posted by jcdreamer
I'll have to try that one.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM
silver07hville
Advanced

Default Three Beeps

Got to the DIC and turn off the fob reminder. This will stop the three beeps, but your car will still chime when you enter if it thinks your fob was left inside, Since the car battery has a tendency to run down, I turned my reminder off to save battery ALSO, since my bedroom is above the garage, my wife no longer hears three horn beeps telling her I am sneaking off at 6 on Sunday morning to go for a drive again!

Get notified of new replies

To Unexplained Beeping/honking

Quick Reply: Unexplained Beeping/honking