C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
It would be great to actually find out the real percentage of cars that do this... I have no idea what it is but my gut tells me it's a bit more that a small percentage, just bc every used one that I drove seems to do it...

Mine only makes noise on the driver's side. It's crazy, but if noises came from both sides I'd be happier! It would probably not even bother me. The way it is now, I keep thinking that if I could just figure out the difference in fit between left and right side I'd be able to fix the problem, which ofcourse I will most likely never figure out ....
My situation seems to be rather unique as I went from not having the problem to really bad popping to not having the problem. I am convinced that vehichle flexing induces the problem, and not necessarily rough roads. My '08 was quiet as a church mouse until a 4000+ mile trip this summer. I first started to notice a creaking sound while running hard over the Cherohala Skyway, and by the time of my return run on the Dragon it was popping like a bag of Orville Reddenbacher's best stuff. It kept up all the way over the Blue Ridge Parkway, and for another week after that. By my return to Florida it had calmed downed, and I barely hear anything now. I am doing the E-clips and grease right now, and expect that to work like a charm for our Florida roads. I will definitely go for the new handles if it crops up again, and they should be readily available by then.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Excellent information, as usual, Paul.

Please see what you can do to get DocRing to put a link to this thread in the C6 FAQ sticky.

Hopefully, the pics will also remain available for awhile.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
zorasdream
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
If you are a Corvette owner with a roof panel noise the assembly plant wants to hear about it but especially if you have a 2008 or a 2009 car with the new design latch handle as pictured above. You can send a note to the assembly plant at the following link:

http://bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Just click on the yellow owner feedback button and provide the information requested.
Hi Paul

I tried this twice and no response from the plant it's been aleast two months. I will try a third time but don't expect much at this point.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 199 Posts

First a bit of history. My new 1800 mile 09 coupe is my second vette, the first being a 92 coupe.

My car has no noise. Now I will say over very rough conditions I do get a very small amount of noise from the top shifting very slightly. This is nothing compared to my C4 or any other Corvette I have been in. Almost nil. We are so lucky with this car.

Second to people that think the car has wind noise with the top off, go ride in any previouse generation Corvette.

Last, this car is not a Cadillac, for what it is we have a wonderfull driving car that really provides a great driving experience.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Talon...

Do you know if the rear slot assembly (the part that receives the rear pins) is at all adjustable?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by ohmy
Talon...

Do you know if the rear slot assembly (the part that receives the rear pins) is at all adjustable?

Thanks

There is an adjustment procedure called out in the service manual. It is held in place by 4 bolts. Two that hold a bracket to the b pillar halo and two that hold the socket to the bracket. I would guess that it could be adjusted in small increments about the diameter of the bolts. I've also read that some members have had luck with adding a bit of shrink tubing to the pins however.

You have to remove the trim panel that you see around it in this photo.

Name:  100_2655.jpg
Views: 4218
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  C6rearlocatorbracket.gif
Views: 4240
Size:  6.2 KB
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
There is an adjustment procedure called out in the service manual. It is held in place by 4 bolts. Two that hold a bracket to the b pillar halo and two that hold the socket to the bracket. I would guess that it could be adjusted in small increments about the diameter of the bolts. I've also read that some members have had luck with adding a bit of shrink tubing to the pins however.

You have to remove the trim panel that you see around it in this photo.
Talon, as usual you amaze me with your ability to answer any question that is asked of you, and your willingness to help others is truly commandable, not to mention an asset to this forum... thank you again, cheers...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a great thread. I have only had this car two weeks but the popping from the roof was killing me. I did the e-ring insertion, tightened the j-hook one turn and did a lube job. Now the popping is gone. The only sound from the roof is some squeaking from the gaskets on rough roads (unfortunately, that describes most Rhode Island roads).
I am going to ask to have the new style handles installed under warranty.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by RIRaven
Thanks for a great thread. I have only had this car two weeks but the popping from the roof was killing me. I did the e-ring insertion, tightened the j-hook one turn and did a lube job. Now the popping is gone. The only sound from the roof is some squeaking from the gaskets on rough roads (unfortunately, that describes most Rhode Island roads).
I am going to ask to have the new style handles installed under warranty.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I lubed up the metal track and final resting place of the rollers, the indentation, and the noise was totally gone for a week. It came back the other day.

What is a J-hook and how do I tighten that?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by ryoder
I lubed up the metal track and final resting place of the rollers, the indentation, and the noise was totally gone for a week. It came back the other day.

The J-hook is the safety latch that is in the center of the back of the roof panel. Pictured below.

Name:  100_2644.jpg
Views: 4237
Size:  108.5 KB

The service manual advises the following procedure for minor adjustment. It is a little bit of a trial and error.

For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.
Remove the roof lift off panel.
Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
Tighten the set screw.
Install the roof panel.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by ryoder

The J-hook is at the end of the rear latch. Release the rear latch and the part that disconnected from the roof bow will have the J-hook on the end. The hook is attached to the rear latch via a threaded connection that can be used to adjust the tension of the hook.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I just had the new latches installed yesterday (October 15) and I now have a car without noise. The fix works!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Thank You for taking the time to explain the roof assemble conditions.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
George Ware
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much! I have a blk 08 3LT with a noisy top.

George Ware

Last edited by George Ware; 10-16-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My local dealer is really really awful.........he says there's no bulletin on the handles.r
This, amongst other BS.
I just sprayed white silicon grease on/in the rollers and presto! NO NOISE!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by George Ware
Thanks so much! I have a blk 08 3LT with a noisy top.

George Ware
I hope it helps.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by BSE1956
My local dealer is really really awful.........he says there's no bulletin on the handles.r
This, amongst other BS.
I just sprayed white silicon grease on/in the rollers and presto! NO NOISE!

It is unfortunate that our chances with the dealers are so hit or miss. As you'll find in post #2 that there most certainly is a bulliten. I have posted the entire contents of the bulliten along with the part numbers for the handle. I'm glad that one of the other solutions worked out for you. You might consider trying another dealer to see if they can help.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

super information as usual Paul! I did the e-clip some 8k miles ago and have not heard anything since. I also did the silicon based lub process after reading about it here on the CF. while I would love to get the new handles when available, I am hesitant doing so since the old ones are working great. any information on long term performance on the e-clips that would point us towards replaceing latches under warranty vs. just leaving a "sleeping dog" lie?

Dan
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by dpigguy
super information as usual Paul! I did the e-clip some 8k miles ago and have not heard anything since. I also did the silicon based lube process after reading about it here on the CF. while I would love to get the new handles when available, I am hesitant doing so since the old ones are working great. any information on long term performance on the e-clips that would point us towards replacing latches under warranty vs. just leaving a "sleeping dog" lie?

Dan
Dan,

Thank you. I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm thinking about the new handles simply because they are the latest design and are specifically designed to minimize the noises associated with the rattle of the roller mechanism. My problem is that with my early production rollers (I don't even have room for an e-clip) I have no noise what-so-ever. I am firmly in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I also have a healthy dose of silicone lube on my gasket. With that said, I would not replace them unless your current situation changes. The latch redesign basically puts in to effect what you have accomplished with the e-clip, it immobilizes the motion of the roller on the latch that can contribute to one type of noise that can develop due to the relative motion of roller in contact with the latch plate.

Paul

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post