C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 AM
MSO4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the newest TSB today. Wow! So far so good. No more noises.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 AM
igo380
Racer

Originally Posted by MSO4
I just did the newest TSB today. Wow! So far so good. No more noises.

I did the TSB fix at the dealer. Lots of the sticky lubricant on the weather strip...made a big mess. Noise was gone for a few days and now is back just as bad . I did not like the goo the slathered all over the weather stripping....
Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by igo380
I did the TSB fix at the dealer. Lots of the sticky lubricant on the weather strip...made a big mess. Noise was gone for a few days and now is back just as bad . I did not like the goo the slathered all over the weather stripping....
I had the goo all over the place too. Some of it was on the roof too. We'll see how mine performs in the next few days.

Update 11/20/09:

Well after a week the noise came back but only on the driver side toward the front. So I'll look into other fixes on this thread. No noise from the passenger side.

Last edited by MSO4; 11-20-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
ls1k5
Advanced

Default 2010 GS Roof Panel Squeak

I had a problem with my roof panel and found that the fixed roller on the driver's side latch had an excess of epoxy glue which was preventing the roller from seating properly. I used a razor blade to remove the extra glue so that it looked like the one on the passenger side, no more squeaking.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM
DesertDog
Instructor

Default Sham-WoW Fix for roof noise!

I pretty much tried all the fixes....including the new dealer latch. The popping always came back. I got tired of the mess with the silicone. I read in the string that someone suggested using a piece of microfiber. You put it in between the rollers and the latch.

Soooo, I tried that. Worked for a day. Then the light came on. (The one in my head). Sham-wow!

The Sham-wow's are worthless in my opinion to wash the car.....so I have a few lying about. I cut a couple of small pieces off and fit them in between the roller and latch. It is just thick enough and strong enough to not fall apart.

noise free for the frist time in over a year. Thanks Vince the Sham-Wow guy. (Did you cathch that camera guy?)!

Stay tuned....

Desert Dog
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DesertDog
I pretty much tried all the fixes....including the new dealer latch. The popping always came back. I got tired of the mess with the silicone. I read in the string that someone suggested using a piece of microfiber. You put it in between the rollers and the latch.

Soooo, I tried that. Worked for a day. Then the light came on. (The one in my head). Sham-wow!

The Sham-wow's are worthless in my opinion to wash the car.....so I have a few lying about. I cut a couple of small pieces off and fit them in between the roller and latch. It is just thick enough and strong enough to not fall apart.

noise free for the frist time in over a year. Thanks Vince the Sham-Wow guy. (Did you cathch that camera guy?)!

Stay tuned....

Desert Dog
Desert Dog, could you take a picture of the way you fit the pieces between the roller and the latch. i have an 06 that had the new latches put in, and the noise was gone for a year. now after a winter of hibernation, i take the car out and all kinds of noise. i lubricated everything, and that helped only a little. i would love to see how your solution works.

thanks,

jim
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Razor89
Racer

Originally Posted by DesertDog

Stay tuned....

Desert Dog
I have tried this new Sham-Wow mod on my 06 and it so far it has worked for the last 100 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

My '09 with 4,000 miles started sounding like a Geiger Counter, when it started warming up some about a month ago. Two weeks ago, I read the TSB and got the Super Lube from my friendly, Chevy dealer and followed TSB instructions.

To date, it's as quiet as a church mouse. Never heard of 'weatherstrip itch', prior to reading the TSB. Good luck to y'all on your C6's.

oz
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default quiet as a mouse

After reading this post (thanks talon90!!! ) I went to the dealer yesterday to have them check out my creaking problem. They installed the new handles and now...

...it's so quiet.

I just bought my 08 C6 last Thursday and this has been my only complaint.

I love this car.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
OkieEngr
Advanced

For you guys who are still using the silicone lube to combat the roof noise, after the first application are you cleaning the weather stripping or just applying another layer of lube over the first layer?

I haven't been cleaning mine and I am curious if this is creating more problems. The weather stripping is tacky, white, and dirty. I just tried cleaning it with a damp rag, but the water wasn't great for cutting the lube.

Has anyone used a product to clean the weather stripping between lube applications?

My popping roof noise is driving me completely nuts. I realize there is thermal expansion, but this thing sounds TERRIBLE. I have tried everything but adjusting the front brackets on the car.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
CobraGK
1st Gear

Default '06 Fix?

Took my '06 in last week and they completed recall roof replacement and four days later the rattles started. They claim the handle replacement is not a recall and I am on my own for $400 to replace handles.
Anyone else had this great dealer service experience ?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
xrayvette
Cruising

Default squeaky roof

Hi,
I just want to thank you for this post. After reading it, i went down to my car and greased all the suggested spots. I then took the car out for a drive and no annoying noise. YEEEEEAAAAA.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Well, here we go again. Last month i experienced the popping roof, so i added the Super Lube to the latch pins and other contact points as pictured on page 1 of this thread. I took the roof off on a few nice days so im guessing that might of dried out the lube perhaps? Reason i say that is because ive been driving the vette again this week and as the temps have warmed up the popping noise has returned. So i lubed it up again last night and drove the car into work today, and the noise is STILL THERE, though not as prominent as before. Nice design flaw, GM! My C5 never had any problems with the roof and i took it on and off hundreds of times.

I guess im a bit disappointed, because the last two times i applied the Lube the problem went away. Not sure why it came back so soon or why it didnt go away this time. Maybe i need to take the car into the dealer? Or maybe i need a Z06 or a vert. I love taking my roof off on nice days, but im serious here, im beginning to wonder if GM should have just made the C6 coupe an FRC with all of the problems they have had! The C5 never did any of this popping. The C6 Z06 doesnt have the popping roof or delamination problems either? Wonder what it will take to get this annoyance fixed?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Rocky09
Cruising

Default Fixed my creaks

I have a 2009 C6 which I purchased in August 09. The transparent roof panel was making a loud creaking/popping sound coming from the front driver and passenger side from the day that I got it.

The new wedge type latches were already installed on the top when I got the car. I took it to the dealer for another warranty issue in Oct 09and asked them to take a look at my creaking roof. They looked into the issue and according to the work order, adjustments were made to the latches and lube was applied and the problem was supposedly gone.

When I got the car back, it was as loud as it had been prior to dropping it off - no noticeable change in the creaking sound. After months of putting up with this noise, I finally decided to read this thread and attempt my own fix.

I inspected the roof panel and the front latches looked fine. My front pins already had o-rings installed on them. The "pinched" steel plates on which the wedge slider sits was also nice and tight. Only thing I did was apply a silicone o-ring lube to the weather stripping seal on the car all along the front and rear stripping and some on the front pins and orings. Put the top back on and drove for 50kms and so far the creaking sound is gone.

Just wanted to share my problem/solution. Many thanks to the people who have contributed to this thread; I appreciate the efforts of all.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I applied the SuperLube to the weatherstrip, as well. I think that was what cured the problem. The Technical Service Bulletin called the affliction "weatherstrip itch".

Mine is still creak-free.

oz
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Ounce
Yeah, I applied the SuperLube to the weatherstrip, as well. I think that was what cured the problem. The Technical Service Bulletin called the affliction "weatherstrip itch".

Mine is still creak-free.

oz
thats good news

what happens when you take your roof off...a big mess everywhere?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
jborg
Advanced

Default Excellent thread

My 09 C6 is pretty noise free except for 1 roof rattle. It seems to only happen for a few minutes when i first drive the car. Thermal expansion!
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
67 fastback
Pro

i have 82,000 miles on my '06 che'vette! It's had the roof replaced with the new warranty roof, It's been adjusted and had the velcro pieces added at another shop. ( they scratched my roof when they had it off)

Mine sounds like a Jiffy-POP popcorn pan on the stove. Cold weather, hot weather it just makes noise.

I'm ready to BOLT THE FRICKIN THING DOWN!

Does anyone sell a kit to convert the top to a ZO6 style? I'm not a convertable top guy and I'm really sick of the noise and embaresed to have a pasenger!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM
jborg
Advanced

I just siliconed mine then wiped the weatherstrip with a rag. You just have to watch grabbing it when getting in the car.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
zmike6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67 fastback
Does anyone sell a kit to convert the top to a ZO6 style? I'm not a convertable top guy and I'm really sick of the noise and embaresed to have a pasenger!
Chevy should make a fixed Z06-style roof a no-cost option (or a credit) on the base C6.

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post