C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Schlitz-C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 Z51 and I was hearing wind noises at 120+MPH. In the end I was hearing it at 65MPH and the dealer told me my top had already been replaced before I bought the car (I bought her used in April) and they could not replace it again.

I called GM and the dealer replaced the entire top as you could see light coming in at 100MPH and put your finger out through the opening.

I have had her to 130MPH since the new top was installed and i have not heard a sound.

The lube worked for my creaking as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I put grease or some silicone stuff in the shiny metal part up top and the noise stopped.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Ziggy99
Heel & Toe

Thought I would mention my 66 427 corvette, which I purchased new, had the same problem with the top. The only fix was to fold up a business card and put it under the latch on each side. My 05 top "knocks" in hot weather. I plan to try the GM gel as a cure, however, I may have to resort to the business cards... Some things never change.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggy99
Thought I would mention my 66 427 corvette, which I purchased new, had the same problem with the top. The only fix was to fold up a business card and put it under the latch on each side. My 05 top "knocks" in hot weather. I plan to try the GM gel as a cure, however, I may have to resort to the business cards... Some things never change.
I have tried ever thing listed here in this post to stop the noise on my 08 and to be honest the "only" thing that works on a hot day is the "folded up business card" just glad the visor covers it so I don't have to look at it. Still have the dealer work on it everytime it goes to shop but no permernate fix yet.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by okie76vette
I have tried ever thing listed here in this post to stop the noise on my 08 and to be honest the "only" thing that works on a hot day is the "folded up business card" just glad the visor covers it so I don't have to look at it. Still have the dealer work on it everytime it goes to shop but no permernate fix yet.
Have you (or they) adjusted the latch receiver? This would involve two bolts under the upper windshield trim. If you need to put a folded up business card in there and it will stop the noise. this tells me that your latch receiver is located too high on the frame. This would mean that the latch is not engaging enough to hold the roof panel in compression against the gasket and frame. There wouldn't be a TSB on this and the dealership may simply be trying the documented fixes.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM
ABQ C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Somewhere you've probably never heard of in New Mexico
St. Jude Donor '11-'13-'14-'15

I installed the E-clips, the o-rings and lubed the weather seals. Not sure if one or all three fixed the popping noise, but for now I'm pop free. We'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the info. The noise was quite annoying.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by talon90
Have you (or they) adjusted the latch receiver? This would involve two bolts under the upper windshield trim. If you need to put a folded up business card in there and it will stop the noise. this tells me that your latch receiver is located too high on the frame. This would mean that the latch is not engaging enough to hold the roof panel in compression against the gasket and frame. There wouldn't be a TSB on this and the dealership may simply be trying the documented fixes.
I have not checked this myself, I do plan on and I appreciate the good info, but the last time I got the car back from the dealer the front latches were a lot harder to latch and unlatch, its a very hard push and pull to get them to latch and unlatch, would this be a indication that the dealer tighten the reciever? To be honest I have not tried the business card since the last time the dealer worked on it, the noise is less and as the weather gets cooler the noise reduces.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Daveoz
Intermediate

Default Roof panel noise

I had the same problem on my 08' Z51. I contacted the engineers in Detroit and told them I couldn't stand the squeeking noise which got worse when it was hot out. They told me I needed new latches. I told them I was attending the C5/C6 Bash and they told me someone would be waiting for me to put the new latches on. The dealers don't even have them or heard of them yet and this problem has been going on since 2005! Even on the assembly line they are still putting on old latches on the 2010 cars! You can contact Damian Zink. His email is: Damian.Zink@GM.com. Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
RHC6
Instructor

Default I did the new latches

I had new latches installed in late spring and have had zero noise since.. I have had the roof off several times and wondering if it would come back ... It has not... Mine is and 08 that was purchased in Sept 07... For anyone that has not gone to the dealer for the update.. Go, it is worth it !
Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Daveoz
I had the same problem on my 08' Z51. I contacted the engineers in Detroit and told them I couldn't stand the squeeking noise which got worse when it was hot out. They told me I needed new latches. I told them I was attending the C5/C6 Bash and they told me someone would be waiting for me to put the new latches on. The dealers don't even have them or heard of them yet and this problem has been going on since 2005! Even on the assembly line they are still putting on old latches on the 2010 cars! You can contact Damian Zink. His email is: Damian.Zink@GM.com. Good Luck!
I have no idea where you got this information about the roof latch handles but it is completely inaccurate. The new roof latches have been in use on the line since last June on the 2009 model year cars. They are NOT putting the old design latch handles on 2010 cars. Chris Aude is the GM engineer responsilble for the implementation of the new latch handles and they have been available to dealer service and parts orgainzation since the date of the TSB on the first page of this thread. Furthermore, this is not the same problem that manifested itself on the 2008 cars as you seem to be referencing on the 2005-2007 cars. The new handles address a broader issue that surfaced in 2008.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Default Business Cards

Well I hate to say it but i went back with the "buisness card" fix on the way back from Dallas on Sunday, I think I am going to attempt to adjust the front receive's tomorrow. Will let you know.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Here is the latest and most complete TSB. This is 08-08-67-013C. This is the continuation of the TSB series for the roof panel noise and handle replacement that was originally posted in the sticky thread. This includes additional diagnostic tools and repair steps to check and remedy some additional causes of roof panel noise. The sticky that I wrote includes most of these but there are a few new ones in here. Thanks to forum member kenedds.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
08-08-67-013C.pdf (603.9 KB, 549 views)
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
kenedds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time I gave back to the Forum that has been so much help to me and others.

Ken

Last edited by kenedds; 10-27-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:51 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by kenedds
About time I gave back to the Forum that has been so much help to me and others.

Ken
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Well, I guess I am going to have to put mine in the shop and have it looked at. My drivers side is popping big time right above the window and I have done all I can do to get rid of it. Damn, I hate putting my car in the shop. I'll probably wait until spring to do it though because the roads in my subdivision are getting repaved and the are stones everywhere and by the time they are done the snow will be here.

Thank you all for posting all this information. At least I can put the car in the shop and give the dealer some real information.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:48 AM
joec126owner
Intermediate

I traded my 05 I bought new a month ago on a 08 z51(5,000 mile black beauty). It ratled just as most have. The dealer replaced the handles and installed the lubricant that the Factory requires. No rattles now on the way home. But considering the cold weather in Pa where I live the test well come in the spring. I never have to concern myself with this problem with my 1963 split window or 1954. Though I will add the HP of both old combined cars is not near the 08. Slow vets or fast, they are all fun to drive. Happy motoring!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Thanks, Talon90!

Thank you, Paul, for posting the latest TSB re roof noise, now saved to my hard drive.

My '08 has been silent since the new handles and SuperLube, but you never know so it's great to have the latest TSB.

Talon90, the Guardian Angel of Corvette Owners!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Daveoz
Intermediate

You made a wise choise on the 08. It's a great car. I traded mine for the Grand Sport and I hope it makes me as happy as the Z51 did. Good luck with the latches.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Scott Squires
4th Gear

I had taken my 2007 Coupe to the dealer two times to try and get the roof rattle, creak fixed. They adjusted, lubed and did everything they said they could do? Still rattled and creaked and was unexceptable.

Friday I followed the recommendations in this thread. Installed the 5/32 e-clips, o-rings and silicone lube. It cost about $8 and took twenty minutes. To my surprise it worked perfectly. I drove my car 100 miles yesterday and 100 miles today and there is dead silence from the roof. I could not be happier and it feels like I have new Corvette!

Thanks to Paul and everyone else that took the time to work this out. It seems that Chevrolet would make sure the dealers had knowledge of this simple fix and at least give it a try?

Scott Squires

Last edited by Scott Squires; 11-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
cobraduke
Instructor

Default nice and quiet now!!!

The local Chevy dealer replaced the handles on my noisy top, then lubricated the trim. Now, no sounds at all. The kit was supplied by GM to combat this problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post