C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here renew Onstar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used it in the vette but my wife had to use it in her Tahoe. She locked her keys in the car. The cost for Onstar was well worth not having to call a locksmith $$$$ or me driving to the mall
Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ironmikezero
This may not be news for many, but I just learned that OnStar in the '09 models not only has data logging and GPS location ability, but also the (largely unadvertised) capability of remote systems control, to include deactivation/reactivation of the accelerator by OnStar operatives (via satellite). Combined with certain data logging capability, this is being touted to law enforcement agencies as the "Stolen Car Slow-Down Switch". An unidentified technician further advised that an updated protocol (with the same capabilities) may well be available and/or adaptable for earlier model years if the OnStar module interfaces properly with the ECU.

Now, I can understand how LEOs would find this a great tool to safely apprehend a car thief - and return the stolen vehicle to its rightful owner. I'm all for that... but an annoying little echo in the back of my mind mildly resents another example of the further intrusion of the "nanny mentality" into our lives... It just makes me wonder what else this technology - or its subsequent collateral offshoots - may be capable of... and how it might be misused - the best of intentions notwithstanding... food for thought...

Count me in as one of the conspiracy theorists... I think this has a great potential to be a bad thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
They are calling me about renewing for both the Vette and the Caddy. Been thinking about it, but I have never used it in either car. Anybody keep renewing it here, and why? Thanks
Did not renew. I dont really drive the car enough to justify the cost. With cell phones and navigation I just dont see the point.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

That would be me ... and I'm having second thoughts.... it really is not worth it. Except for piece of mind- kinda like insurance I guess.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

i am going to let my On Star expire because i found out that if there is no cell towers there is no phone service even if you can reach On Star to dial the number so it is of no more use than my cell phone. also i found out that On Star can not start my 08 corvette if i happen to loose my fob.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM
towo13
Instructor

I didn't use it all the first year, but renewed & needed it within a month.
I was in Richmond, Va when the shifter on my 07 C6 locked up. I was left with Drive & Nuetral only, no Reverse or Park. Not being familiar with the area, I activated OnStar and was grreted by name. I explained that my car was not completely disabled, but that I needed to find a Chevy dealer. The operator gave me two options, then downloaded my choice to my car. I was then provided with turn by turn directions to the dealer through the radio.
Hey, that works for me. I know, I could have found a phone book, in the rain, for free. I could have called information on my cell for $1.95, called them, then written down the directions, gotten out my roadmap, etc,etc.
I just have the most basic service and won't be without it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by towo13
I didn't use it all the first year, but renewed & needed it within a month.
I was in Richmond, Va when the shifter on my 07 C6 locked up. I was left with Drive & Nuetral only, no Reverse or Park. Not being familiar with the area, I activated OnStar and was grreted by name. I explained that my car was not completely disabled, but that I needed to find a Chevy dealer. The operator gave me two options, then downloaded my choice to my car. I was then provided with turn by turn directions to the dealer through the radio.
Hey, that works for me. I know, I could have found a phone book, in the rain, for free. I could have called information on my cell for $1.95, called them, then written down the directions, gotten out my roadmap, etc,etc.
I just have the most basic service and won't be without it.
Have you guys heard of Cha Cha?

Text any question (like, I am in so-and-so at this location, where is the nearest chevy dealership to me?) and they will answer it for free.

The number is 242242

I thought it was nuts, so I tried it.

Ask them who the 16th president was - they will tell you.

Ask them who invented bubble gum, they will tell you.

They can't unlock your car door though.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
SkeeterC6
Instructor

Default renewed today

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
They are calling me about renewing for both the Vette and the Caddy. Been thinking about it, but I have never used it in either car. Anybody keep renewing it here, and why? Thanks
I renewed mine just today. It took a few minutes of
lobbying for the $149 + 100 minutes package but they
finally gave it to me (it was that or I'd opt out). The
piece of mind is worth it to us plus I like calling folks
from the Vette
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

I don't even activate it when it's free for the first year.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHCRMZ51
I have not used it in the vette but my wife had to use it in her Tahoe. She locked her keys in the car. The cost for Onstar was well worth not having to call a locksmith $$$$ or me driving to the mall
But if that's all you used it for then perhaps the cost of Onstar for the year would have exceeded the cost for a locksmith
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have and normally do it with a 2 yr term.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
JBVette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How successful have you guys been with negotiating the Onstar fees?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
rallyred65
Instructor

Most people don't know how useful it can be. If you get a check engine light, On Star can tell you why. I have the Verizon phone and use it frequently. It saved me when I had a dead engine in the middle of Montana. On Star call AAA for me and alerted the dealer I was coming. Sorted out the warrantee approval before I arrived. Interesting how cheap people can be that buy a $60 grand car. I spend a lot more on beer than On Star. My insurance discount covered half the cost.....
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh9C6
Racer

This may not be news for many, but I just learned that OnStar in the '09 models not only has data logging and GPSS location ability, but also the (largely unadvertised) capability of remote systems control, to include deactivation/reactivation of the accelerator by On Star operatives (via satellite). Combined with certain data logging capability, this is being touted to law enforcement agencies as the "Stolen Car Slow-Down Switch". An unidentified technician further advised that an updated protocol (with the same capabilities) may well be available and/or adaptable for earlier model years if the On Star module interfaces properly with the EC.

... It just makes me wonder what else this technology - or its subsequent collateral offshoots - may be capable of... and how it might be misused - the best of intentions notwithstanding... food for thought...
Allstate Insurance now uses On-Star to verify that one does not exceed the mileage limitations of your policy (usually 7500 or 15000 miles per year). That is WHY they give a VERY small discount for this service...it discount will be far exceeded by the revenue of going "over" mileage once in awhile. Of course, no plans for discounts for those years we go "under" the mileage.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
0Rage@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Did not renew. I dont really drive the car enough to justify the cost. With cell phones and navigation I just dont see the point.
Exactly!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll personally will be cheap and save $50 a month. Yes, I can afford OnStar with no problem but not worth it for $500-600 a year. (I have 3 GM cars) Why not get the NFL package or something else on Directv? You should be able to afford $12 a month. At least you'll probably use it more than OnStar. I don't have the NFL but I'm just using it as an example.

I don't plan on renewing mine on the Corvette. I don't like Big Brother too much. Remember the patriot act. With OnStar I'm sure someone can listen in to your conversation or find out where you are by just saying you are a possible threat to national security. People say I have it just in case I roll down a hill or something. Well you better go straight off the hill because the air bag won't fire otherwise. It will also not work in most locations where a cell phone will not work so crash in the middle of no where and you are just as screwed as someone in an old car.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:40 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Why in the world did I upgrade from analog to digital ? I have no intention to use it. I use my cell phone and 2-way radios. Oh, and I love to read maps.

Get notified of new replies

To How many here renew Onstar?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 AM
traindude
Race Director

Did not renew.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just renewed last week. $199 for the Safe & Sound Plan/365 days per year = 0.545 cents per day. Pretty good deal in my opinion. I'm not a big law breaker, so let them watch as much as they want!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeeterC6
I renewed mine just today... for the $149 + 100 minutes package... The piece of mind is worth it to us plus I like calling folks from the Vette
My second renewal they gave me the year for $149 and 100 minutes. I think OnStar is a hell of a deal for all the features you get.

Quick Reply: How many here renew Onstar?