C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To mod or not to mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:59 AM
G Alex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To mod or not to mod

I have an 07 Coupe with the Z 51 "model" and I have 31 k on it. I bought the extended warranty but am considering canceling it out. I can get about 80 percent of the money back on it.

I dont daily drive it anymore and it sits quite a bit. I just took it to the dealer and had the battery replaced and the water pump was bad, so it was replaced too. It has issues occasionally with the seats not moving back when I exit. It had the whole throttle body replaced last year as the car was stumbling at it took two trips to get it figured out.

I want to put a maggie on it or at least a Nitrous kit. I want to put heads, cam, cai, full exhaust including headers. The two dealers I took it to said they would def void all warranty if I did anything more than a catback.

I dont think I will get the use of the 5/100 powertrain as my car is technically 3 yrs already and I wont be driving it in the winter and only occasionally in the other seasons. I imagine I will put another 20k on it in the next 4 or 5 yrs. I am gonna keep it.

Should I just say F it and cancel the extended warranty(get like a grand back) and start modding and just hope that the electrical gremlins dont pop up on my car or obviously the motor or tranny ? I would like some advice. I am prepared to pay to play but is it wise to cancel the extended warranty and cut GM free from the responsiblity of the powertrain ?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I say go for it!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by G Alex
I have an 07 Coupe with the Z 51 "model" and I have 31 k on it. I bought the extended warranty but am considering canceling it out. I can get about 80 percent of the money back on it.

I dont daily drive it anymore and it sits quite a bit.
I just took it to the dealer and had the battery replaced and the water pump was bad, so it was replaced too. It has issues occasionally with the seats not moving back when I exit. It had the whole throttle body replaced last year as the car was stumbling at it took two trips to get it figured out.

I want to put a maggie on it or at least a Nitrous kit. I want to put heads, cam, cai, full exhaust including headers. The two dealers I took it to said they would def void all warranty if I did anything more than a catback.

I dont think I will get the use of the 5/100 powertrain as my car is technically 3 yrs already and I wont be driving it in the winter and only occasionally in the other seasons. I imagine I will put another 20k on it in the next 4 or 5 yrs. I am gonna keep it.

Should I just say F it and cancel the extended warranty(get like a grand back) and start modding and just hope that the electrical gremlins dont pop up on my car or obviously the motor or tranny ? I would like some advice. I am prepared to pay to play but is it wise to cancel the extended warranty and cut GM free from the responsiblity of the powertrain ?
Sure. And when you bust something, the refund you got back from the extended warranty can go towards fixing it.

I have to ask though, if it "sits quite a bit" then why spend money, looks like over 12K in mods you are looking to spend, modifying it?

And if/when the power train does fail, have to spend money to fix it too. All in a car which "sits quite a bit".
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I also say go for it. As long as you don't depend on the car as a daily driver and can except the fact more power can cause more problems.

I modded mine and have no regrets.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I say go for it as it is not a DD, that is what I did to my C5 3 years ago and I love boost and now I have a DD with the C6 and got the best of both worlds
Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do whatever your gut tells you to do, move on, and don't look back.

TRR
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

My suggestion is to mod the car as you see fit......but I would not cancel the ext. warranty...there's a lot of stuff that will still be covered that could very well go wrong.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
My suggestion is to mod the car as you see fit......but I would not cancel the ext. warranty...there's a lot of stuff that will still be covered that could very well go wrong.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I seriously doubt that. There is no such thing as an "extended warranty." You have a service contract, not a warranty. And, that contract very specifically states that modifications to the car void the contract. If you do the mods you're thinking of, the contract isn't going to pay for repairs unless the service shop lies to the company about them - they aren't going to do that.

I modded my 2006, and I love it - still quite reliable. But, I accepted the fact that the powertrain warranty was gone the moment I put on my s/c. If you choose to mod, cancel the contract - it's worthless, and you can put the money towards your mods.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want to do it and you can comfortably afford to deal with whatever comes-up...go for it.

This is just my personal prejudice but I would never use nitrous. It's fine for a serious drag racer but not on a car you truly car about. I even have reservations about slapping a supercharger on a stock, cast-piston engine. IMO you're much better off building your engine.

I think it's best to go with a one of the 5 or 6 'premier' tuner shops like Lingenfelter that provides a warranty (and has the reputation and history to back it up). Good luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Go for it , nothing like the feeling of a blown Vette . I would pass on the Nitrous though .

Your going to need lots of tires .
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MNVette
I seriously doubt that. There is no such thing as an "extended warranty." You have a service contract, not a warranty. And, that contract very specifically states that modifications to the car void the contract. If you do the mods you're thinking of, the contract isn't going to pay for repairs unless the service shop lies to the company about them - they aren't going to do that.

I modded my 2006, and I love it - still quite reliable. But, I accepted the fact that the powertrain warranty was gone the moment I put on my s/c. If you choose to mod, cancel the contract - it's worthless, and you can put the money towards your mods.

Good luck.
I know his powertrain warranty will be kaput......I was referring to things like the radio goes out or any number of electrical problems that have nada to do with the powertrain.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I know his powertrain warranty will be kaput......I was referring to things like the radio goes out or any number of electrical problems that have nada to do with the powertrain.
You'd be surprised - GMPP barely tolerates cosmetic changes like door handles, certainly not powertrain stuff. And, they have in the past cancelled the whole contract for a mod - that means they cover NOTHING, including the radio. If you mod, GMPP and its ilk are worthless. Get your money back.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
Go for it , nothing like the feeling of a blown Vette . I would pass on the Nitrous though .

Your going to need lots of tires .
Unless you are going to beef up the engine internals beyond what you list, steer clear of a heavy boost level, nitrous, and anything else to grenade the engine.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:42 PM
G Alex
Racer

I was told the ENTIRE extended service would be denied if I put a blower and stuff on it. I can see both sides but what will actually happen if I keep the extended and the navigation goes out ? I bet they would find a way to weasel out of it ?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM
G Alex
Racer

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Sure. And when you bust something, the refund you got back from the extended warranty can go towards fixing it.

I have to ask though, if it "sits quite a bit" then why spend money, looks like over 12K in mods you are looking to spend, modifying it?

And if/when the power train does fail, have to spend money to fix it too. All in a car which "sits quite a bit".

This is precisely the reason I thought I would mod it. I had a 94 yrs ago and it was my DD and I had it modded up. I broke tranny on it once and I was sitting for a week. I have another car to drive as a DD and if I get the Vette out and something snaps, I dont have to worry about getting around. Although it will sit a lot, it will SCREAM when it isnt.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
rwebcon
Instructor

Default get the best

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. What ever you get done on the car make sure its done by someone with a proven track record with your type modifications. After your mods are done do not beat the hell out of it either.

Get notified of new replies

To To mod or not to mod

Old 09-19-2008, 03:37 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MNVette
You'd be surprised - GMPP barely tolerates cosmetic changes like door handles, certainly not powertrain stuff. And, they have in the past cancelled the whole contract for a mod - that means they cover NOTHING, including the radio. If you mod, GMPP and its ilk are worthless. Get your money back.
Did not know this.....in that case,defenitely get a refund.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by G Alex
This is precisely the reason I thought I would mod it. I had a 94 yrs ago and it was my DD and I had it modded up. I broke tranny on it once and I was sitting for a week. I have another car to drive as a DD and if I get the Vette out and something snaps, I dont have to worry about getting around. Although it will sit a lot, it will SCREAM when it isnt.
I understand. I wouldn't mod a car I absolutely had to depend on to get me from point A to point B either.

Especially if the distance between those two points was significant.

If its just going to be a local car, and when something does bust, it won't happen while you are on a road trip with your wife or your girlfriend in the car, in the middle of nowhere, and cost you a fortune to drag it back home, well then mod away.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-19-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:04 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If you want to do it and you can comfortably afford to deal with whatever comes-up...go for it.

This is just my personal prejudice but I would never use nitrous. It's fine for a serious drag racer but not on a car you truly car about. I even have reservations about slapping a supercharger on a stock, cast-piston engine. IMO you're much better off building your engine.

I think it's best to go with a one of the 5 or 6 'premier' tuner shops like Lingenfelter that provides a warranty (and has the reputation and history to back it up). Good luck!

This needs to be said.

Quick Reply: To mod or not to mod