C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Process to remove rear license plate burned out lamp

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Process to remove rear license plate burned out lamp

Hey Guys,

Sometimes what seems to be the simplest job takes forever. Like a 5 minute plumbing repair.
I need advice on removing the passenger side license plate lamp holder to replace a burned out bulb.I have got the 194LL bulb but cannot remove the light assembly.

The vehicle is a 2005 vette.

As always thanks.

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Interesting.......I couldn't get mine either. The next time I had Vette serviced I asked dealer to replace the bulb. I had been going to this dealer with 4 Vettes over 14 years and I had done them alot of favors and they me......When I got the bill there was a charge of $77.75 for the this ($0.75 parts and $77.00 labor). When I questioned this and said felt like this should not occur to a long time good customer the service manager replied "We are the best shop around and If you don't like the way we do business go someplace else".

I did and have not been back !
The following users liked this post:
corvettekent (05-02-2021)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem, try this:

Step 1 Disconnect battery
Step 2 Remove engine
Step 3

Oh wait, that's something else. Nevermind .
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's Sweet 05
Hey Guys,

Sometimes what seems to be the simplest job takes forever. Like a 5 minute plumbing repair.
I need advice on removing the passenger side license plate lamp holder to replace a burned out bulb.I have got the 194LL bulb but cannot remove the light assembly.

The vehicle is a 2005 vette.

As always thanks.

Mike
I just did mine to put in blue LED's... Remove the inner tail light with a torx driver, (same size needed to remove/ replace lights over rear plate.) With your hand/ arm you can reach thru the tail light opening to reach the back of the light. You'll need to hold the light while you're loosening/ removing the screws. Once removed you'll have to push up and turn the light on an angle to pull it out and expose the bulb to be replaced... Do the reverse to reinstall the light. Tip... before putting all the screws back in turn on the lights and make sure the new light comes on. If not remove and turn it so that the contacts flip/ flop then try the lights again... it should light up then.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8rvette
Interesting.......I couldn't get mine either. The next time I had Vette serviced I asked dealer to replace the bulb. I had been going to this dealer with 4 Vettes over 14 years and I had done them alot of favors and they me......When I got the bill there was a charge of $77.75 for the this ($0.75 parts and $77.00 labor). When I questioned this and said felt like this should not occur to a long time good customer the service manager replied "We are the best shop around and If you don't like the way we do business go someplace else".

The last time I was @ a dealer they were charging $125.00/ hr labor! I asked about switching out my amber DRL's for some PIAA HID's I'd bought... There Corvette tech came up and told me he'd have to take the front bumper off and that it was a 2 hr job! I said thanks you and went home and did them with some help from a buddy. We did both of our cars in less than 30 mins., and we didn't have to remove our front bumpers! I later swapped out the driving/ fog lights by myself.

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 09-10-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Front bumper....I love that!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
DMS50
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced both license plate bulbs - took less than 10 minutes. You don't need to remove the 2 screws that hold the license plate lamp assembly in place. Just remove the inner rear taillight and reach in and twist the license plate lamp socket and pull it out of the lamp. Now move the lamp socket down and stick the failed bulb out the opening next to the license plate light. Pull the failed bulb straight out of the socket and push the new one in. Now put the bulb and socket back in the license plate lamp hole and twist it to lock in place.
The following users liked this post:
LenBell (05-02-2021)
Old 05-29-2011, 01:21 PM
piva242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum is awesome. I took the advice of those above and replaced the license plate lamp in about 5 minutes. Saved about $75 bucks apparently, minus the $3 price for 2 replacement lamps at WalMart. Thanks to those who posted!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DMS50
I just replaced both license plate bulbs - took less than 10 minutes. You don't need to remove the 2 screws that hold the license plate lamp assembly in place. Just remove the inner rear taillight and reach in and twist the license plate lamp socket and pull it out of the lamp. Now move the lamp socket down and stick the failed bulb out the opening next to the license plate light. Pull the failed bulb straight out of the socket and push the new one in. Now put the bulb and socket back in the license plate lamp hole and twist it to lock in place.
Originally Posted by piva242
This forum is awesome. I took the advice of those above and replaced the license plate lamp in about 5 minutes. Saved about $75 bucks apparently, minus the $3 price for 2 replacement lamps at WalMart. Thanks to those who posted!
I learn something every day on this forum.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

good for you, attitude on top of charging you so much labour for a five minute job

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
The last time I was @ a dealer they were charging $125.00/ hr labor! I asked about switching out my amber DRL's for some PIAA HID's I'd bought... There Corvette tech came up and told me he'd have to take the front bumper off and that it was a 2 hr job! I said thanks you and went home and did them with some help from a buddy. We did both of our cars in less than 30 mins., and we didn't have to remove our front bumpers! I later swapped out the driving/ fog lights by myself.

they are habitual liars

Originally Posted by DMS50
it is so easy that even I can do it

Originally Posted by piva242
I've saved lots of time/money through this forum
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Sounds like you paid for their training. Having owned and operated a repair shop, unfortunately sometimes i had to eat excessive labor to keep the customer happy. It is a part of doing business.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:56 AM
LenBell
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just used your advice. R & R two bulbs per your post. Very easy & less than 15 min.. Thx.

Get notified of new replies

To Process to remove rear license plate burned out lamp

Quick Reply: Process to remove rear license plate burned out lamp