C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase C6 convertible..Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
BadgerPilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to purchase C6 convertible..Need advice

Hello board members.......

I am a transplant from the BMW M5 board.

This in my first post on this board and I need your advice on purchasing a lightly used 2005-2007 Convertible. I had been looking at a 04 Viper, but after driving the Vette it just seems like a much better daily driver. I have test driven an 06 manual and automatic. I have not driven a z06 as I like the convertible and am not looking to spend what z06's go for.

Please hit me with any advice you may have or answer one of my specific questions. I am looking to spend between $37-42K for a low miles LT3/Z51 car. Navi and power top would be nice but not necessary.

I have no immediate plans to track the car, but who knows what the future may bring. Is the Z51 package worth the extra money? What am I losing by not getting the magnetic ride control that the non-Z51 has?

What is the performance upgrade with the associated coolers in the Z51 package?

Have you found that the upgraded components in the Z51 mean more money to fix down the road?

Is the Navi worth the extra money?

Is the power top nice to have or not necessary?

How is the stock stereo? What upgrades are out there and are the worth more money?

Manual or Auto? I never thought I would dream of buying an automatic sports car, but it is so easy to drive and it has the paddle shift. I drive through town and stoplights to work every day so the auto would be nice. Am I crazy for not getting 6 speed.

There seem to be some really good deals on 05's out there. Would I be smarter staying away from the first year of the new generation, or are they just as reliable as 06-07 cars?

Thanks for all you advice and I look forward to being a member of the corvette community.

Mike H.
Milwaukee WI

holzy@aol.com
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a very early, end of October '04, 2005 Vette. Never had a single problem. Note, no six speed auto on an '05. Note, the magnetic ride control is nice, but, big time expensive to replace those shocks someday!! The stereo and nav is but a personal decision.

Welcome to the forum and good hunting!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BadgerPilot

This in my first post on this board and I need your advice on purchasing a lightly used 2005-2007 Convertible. I had been looking at a 04 Viper, but after driving the Vette it just seems like a much better daily driver. I have test driven an 06 manual and automatic. I have not driven a z06 as I like the convertible and am not looking to spend what z06's go for.

Please hit me with any advice you may have or answer one of my specific questions. I am looking to spend between $37-42K for a low miles LT3/Z51 car. Navi and power top would be nice but not necessary.

I have no immediate plans to track the car, but who knows what the future may bring. Is the Z51 package worth the extra money? What am I losing by not getting the magnetic ride control that the non-Z51 has?

Have you found that the upgraded components in the Z51 mean more money to fix down the road?

How is the stock stereo? What upgrades are out there and are the worth more money?

Manual or Auto? I never thought I would dream of buying an automatic sports car, but it is so easy to drive and it has the paddle shift. I drive through town and stoplights to work every day so the auto would be nice. Am I crazy for not getting 6 speed.

There seem to be some really good deals on 05's out there. Would I be smarter staying away from the first year of the new generation, or are they just as reliable as 06-07 cars?

Thanks for all you advice and I look forward to being a member of the corvette community.

Mike H.
Milwaukee WI

holzy@aol.com

Did you have a E39 or a E60? I've owned both so I know what you'd be coming from

IMHO Nav is worth it since it comes up on your HUD and power top is a must cause you can put it up and down without getting outta the car! The Manual top is faster but you have to get out and you can't do it while moving (click up emergency brake.)

Ummm Manual trans.

Z51 More $$ to fix, no, F55 would cost you more with the adjustible brakes but I think they are rated for high mileage.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Good luck on your search. I have a manual top - by design and am quite happy with it. I don't mind getting out of the car to move the top. Having it stuck half way on the move would not be fun

Interesting screen name. Did you really fly a TU-16?

Last edited by johnodrake; 09-01-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
nycdot01
Pro

Default Hi Mike

Mike H.
Milwaukee WI

holzy@aol.com
Hi Mike,

I just bought a 2005 C6 auto Triple black convertible myself. I had a 1999 C5 and the 2005 is much better. all I can share with you is this at the same time I was looking at 2 vetts the one I bought with the Z51 package, Nav, power top, Auto, and this other one without the Z51 package and to me the one without the Z51 package drove like my 99 hard and bumpy. Not only did I get the nice look to the drilled rotors but to me the handeling and the ride is like night and day to me. I would go with the Z51 package, also mike I think if you can wait another month now that the season is cominh to a end you might just get that perfect car for a great price. You can save about 2k if you wait. I know we all want a car yesterday. But think about it. Best of luck on your search.

John
Long Island
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Good luck on your search. I have a manual top - by design and am quite happy with it. I don't mind getting out of the car to move the top. Having it stuck half way on the move would not be fun

Interesting screen name. Did you really fly a TU-16?
That's cause you never put the top up!!!

Hey now, another advantage with a power top is while moving if your brakes go out you can "deploy" the top to slow down
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
BadgerPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Did you have a E39 or a E60? I've owned both so I know what you'd be coming from

IMHO Nav is worth it since it comes up on your HUD and power top is a must cause you can put it up and down without getting outta the car! The Manual top is faster but you have to get out and you can't do it while moving (click up emergency brake.)

Ummm Manual trans.

Z51 More $$ to fix, no, F55 would cost you more with the adjustible brakes but I think they are rated for high mileage.
I had a 01 E39, still have it actually as buyers money is not in hand yet.

F55? is that the stock package as opposed to Z51 or is F55 an upgrade also. Sorry, but I am new to Vettes.

Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

F55= Magnetic Ride Control
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM
1wicked
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the F55 is an option.....a great one in my opinion... With the mag ride in tour mode, it feels like you're on a cloud but put it in sport mode and wow!! it handles like a pro. I have an 08 convertible with power top/nav and I love it! The stock stereo in these cars do not sound as good as they should (to me), but in a cockpit that small, the sound is not tooo bad. Welcome to our forum and good luck finding your next car. Keep an eye on auto trader/ebay...some good deals occasionally there... April
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It'd be helpful if you defined even further how you will drive it: a little racing, better as a daily driver, help. The F55 is an option and won't help too much if you're going road racing. Matter of fact, some venues (most?) won't allow a 'vert without a rollbar. That's a problem.

Z51 is worth it imo, even if you don't race it, but to save money you can go with what is called a "base" suspension. Nothing wrong with it, just a little soft, cushy and not geared completely for handling. Z51 is more of handling package and worth its cost, again imo.

As to 37-42K for that amount, and I don't want to get you into "creeping elegance" aka financial difficulty, every year little problems get taken care of. Every year, as is hoped, the car gets a little better. For that reason(s), the operative phrase is, buy the newest and best condition car you can afford. NOTE the last 3 words.

If you are set on a 3LT option package that will give you a power top whether you want it or not. Again, more expensive. If cost is an object, I'd knock out the frills and get a newer year.

Don't worry about stereo; if it's so bad, go aftermarket. Or upgrade to the (some say) lousy Bose upmarket system.

As to the nav, it displaces a 6 disc CD and makes it a 1-disc CD player. ugh, imo. Frankly, with the constant changes in GPS, I want a portable and as of this past couple months, a 5" diagonal. Some like the built in nav; some don't. To me, a few hundred for a portable is better than almost 2K for a built in.

No matter what, have the car checked out on a lift by a qualified tech, if not yourself. Do a carfax, or autocheck by experian to see if it's a Gustav or Katrina or been in wrecks.

Ask more, tell more.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It all depends on what you are after but you are in the right ball park (your lower figure) for a 07 3LT Vert. I wouldn't be too concerned about tracking the car since the Vert is not the way to go for that. too many restrictions and body is not as rigid as a coupe. How are the roads in your area? If they are bad then the F55 would be easier to get along with. Z51 is a nice package but most people get rid of the stickier tires when they wear out in about 15,000 miles.

Auto vs manual - Plenty of threads about that. It all depends on what you are after. It is great in heavy traffic though.

I've used some european NAVs and the Corvette's is not near as good. As a stock system you can't change the destination or select where you want to go while driving, it dumps the 6 disc and its software is behind the times. Not only that it costs a good amount to update it. I personally would go with a Garmin. Mine fits real nice in the center console when I'm parked and in the cup holder when I'm driving.

I would also not rule out an 08 Vert. Here is why. If you are financing 0% and GMS is hard to beat especially when the used 07 will have a used car financing rate. 08 has almost 10% more power and the optional NPP exhaust is well worth the money. Besides that you don't have to worry about the condition of a used car.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm puzzled, you state that you want spend a certain price range WITH LOW MILEAGE and CERTAIN YEARS but with questions about certain options. I'm under the impression that a USED car does not give you choices with options, only the options that come with a used car. If you like the car and it has most of the options you like, you buy it. If I was buying a used car I would look for all the options I could get and get a LOADED one.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
bill's red roadster
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a 07 Roadster. It has everything but NAVI. You can't see it with the top down on a sunny day anyway. Actually, what the point-it's a vette and a sunny day and the top is down and your driving it! I have the F55 magnetic selective ride-I really got to use it this week during the bowling green adventure this past week.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
BadgerPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I'm puzzled, you state that you want spend a certain price range WITH LOW MILEAGE and CERTAIN YEARS but with questions about certain options. I'm under the impression that a USED car does not give you choices with options, only the options that come with a used car. If you like the car and it has most of the options you like, you buy it. If I was buying a used car I would look for all the options I could get and get a LOADED one.
true, but there are a lot of acceptable cars for sale near me. Knowing what I really need versus what I want gives me better negotiating power.....especially this time of year. I am appreciating all the input. Please keep it coming.

I found one today without Z51 or F55 but at a good price. Will I regret not getting either handling upgrade?

Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most tracks will require a rollcage in a vert. It pizzed me off to find that out as it aint easy to do. I love the power top and the F55 tranny is subtle but grips well on bouncy roads.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 AM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see in your last post (#15) you said you found a standard suspension C-6. I think I would get that one and just change out the sway bar to the Z-51. That is if that is a must have. Others have done it here. Just a thought. Good luck in your search.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to purchase C6 convertible..Need advice

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

true, but there are a lot of acceptable cars for sale near me. Knowing what I really need versus what I want gives me better negotiating power.....especially this time of year. I am appreciating all the input. Please keep it coming.

I found one today without Z51 or F55 but at a good price. Will I regret not getting either handling upgrade?

Mike
No, for less than $200 you can do the Z51 sway bars and have the best of both worlds!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 AM
keith5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BMW M's are very nice.
There will prolly be some very small nuances that won't be in the Vette.
But, horsepower and torque won't be amongst them!!
My '06 Vert Z51 has been an adrenaline pumping pleasure.
And, yes, I believe that the Z51 option offers a sense of longevity and endurance with trans oil cooler and steering cooler.
But, be warned that the GY F1 Supercar tires are good for about 10K miles. Then you want to re-rubber with Michelin Pilot Sports.
The Nav system is OK ,but the OTC technology from Garmin and Tom Tom is quickly rendering it over-priced and inadequate....
Go for the power top!!! My wife insisted and she was absolutely right!
The Head Up display is still friggin awesome. Even after two years of ownership.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 AM
stevedrummer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 2002 with manual top - thought it was fine - now with the 2008 power top - love the power top - use it much more.
The Nav system is not worth it (I got it) unless you do a LOT of distant road trips.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase C6 convertible..Need advice