C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with vette's in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 AM
38 Years Later
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with vette's in the heat

Hello all, Want to take the Vette to Lake Havasu City AZ. and leave it there but want to know if my garage need to be air conditioned and if I have it outside how long should it be out in the tripple digit temperatures. Can someone give me some info please?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Here in south Arkansas it gets up to 100* for a week or two each summer, and my '07 daily driver gets parked in an uncovered lot at work. If you're parking in a garage, I would think that being in the shade would be sufficient without needing air conditioning.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Stangar
Racer

The body panels are going to melt and be pooled around the sides of the car.

Crack the windows 1/4 inch if it is going to sit outside in the Sun.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

at midnight it's still high 90s, so even in garage it will be that, or more. I don't think you have to air condition garage; that'd be a terrific waste of your energy dollars. just recognize your car will be hot when you get in it, but that's not bad.

I think it's far better to leave it in a non-air conditioned garage than outside. if outside, I'd use things like those window shades to cover the dash, and the other windows if you're going to just leave it there for days/weeks at a time. and to the extent possible, I'd leave one window open a very little.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
at midnight it's still high 90s, so even in garage it will be that, or more. I don't think you have to air condition garage; that'd be a terrific waste of your energy dollars. just recognize your car will be hot when you get in it, but that's not bad.

I think it's far better to leave it in a non-air conditioned garage than outside. if outside, I'd use things like those window shades to cover the dash, and the other windows if you're going to just leave it there for days/weeks at a time. and to the extent possible, I'd leave one window open a very little.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
KENZ51
Drifting

Here in North Texas it tends to git a bit warm, but my C6 sets overnite in an non-ac garage, and its not a problem. At work its in a covered garage and does fine! It only gets bad when setting in the sun awhile
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine sits in my garage here in Texas a week at a time in 100* temps with no problems that I know of.

TRR

Last edited by TRR; 08-27-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Am I the only one here that is wondering what in the h*ll the OP is talking about? Are you afraid the car will melt or something? Afraid it won't start? IT'S A CAR! Believe it or not, cars (even a Vette) are designed to work when it's hot outside. They don't self-destruct. Assuming you've done the little things like keep coolant in the radiator, I fail to see what the problem is.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 AM
bobbyj1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

If you have both the body colored top will help keep internal temps down if it is sitting outside in the sun.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 AM
38 Years Later
Racer

Originally Posted by MNVette
Am I the only one here that is wondering what in the h*ll the OP is talking about? Are you afraid the car will melt or something? Afraid it won't start? IT'S A CAR! Believe it or not, cars (even a Vette) are designed to work when it's hot outside. They don't self-destruct. Assuming you've done the little things like keep coolant in the radiator, I fail to see what the problem is.
Hey forgive my ignorance but this is my first "plastic" car and I don't have a clue. I just come here to get a clue from those who have more experience and that includes you. I thank you very much for being so gracious.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
2008c6
Burning Brakes

My vette stays in heat!:o
Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38 Years Later
Hey forgive my ignorance but this is my first "plastic" car and I don't have a clue. I just come here to get a clue from those who have more experience and that includes you. I thank you very much for being so gracious.
I don't think it's a crazy question. You just want to take the best care of your Vette that you can. I think the majority of us COMPLETELY understand that.

I have had the same thoughts, wondering about letting my car sit outside in the heat, or in a hot garage. Sure these are cars and they're not going to melt, but it never hurts to see what other owners are doing

I'm carpooling in my wife's car these days because I don't want our Vette to sit out in the sun all day while I work. She is staying "cool" in the garage at home. Call me crazy; I'll agree
Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Todd969
Instructor

Obviously many people don't know about the Havasu heat

To the OP:

I live in LHC and keep my Z06 in a climate controlled garage,crack the windows and put the cover on it. I know many people in town with Vettes that do not have a\c or swampers in the garage and they are fine. I've had mine out for many hours at a time in 110 plus heat without issue.

I would recommend cracking the windows if you're going to leave it here for extended periods. Fortunately our heat wave is nearing it's end and we'll be back to 90's and below in a month.

Todd
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd969
... I know many people in town with Vettes that do not have a\c or swampers in the garage ...

Todd
Just curious, what in the world is a "swamper." A de-humidifier or something?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 38 Years Later
just don't ask him about GMPP. he will be even more gracious
Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

The heat is not going to damage any of the panels just from sitting outside or in a hot garage. Keep in mind that all cars undergo extreme testing before being sold meaning they are in Death Valley's 120+ temps and Alaska's -20 temps to make sure there are no problems.

That being said, if you plan on keeping it in AZ, I would have some kind of tint on the windows to keep the UV rays out of the interior and a good coat of wax on the car to protect the paint from UV damage as well. Also if it is parked outside in the sun all day, I would have a sun shade for the windshield so the sun isn't beating directly on the dash all day. But again, that is only to protect from constant UV exposure that will tend to fade/crack interior trim over time. Of course I would also make sure the seats had some good leather conditioner on them all the time as well.

On the mechanical front you will want to keep in mind that heat is a killer of batteries, so you will want to check you battery condition every so often and realize you might be changing it out more often than if you were in a cooler climate. You will be running the A/C a lot so I would make sure the cabin A/C filter is kept clean and maybe even have the dealer set the HVAC fan to keep running for about four minutes after the car is shut down to help dry out the evaporator to prevent moisture from building up and causing an odor (I don't know if that would really be a problem in a warm climate like AZ).
Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in southern Arizona and deal with sunshine and high heat...your car will be fine parked in a garage. You don't need cooling in the garage just for the car's benefit.

When you park outside, use a sun screen on the windshield...get your windows tinted. You could use a car cover. Using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the dash filters UV rays and helps prevent sun damage. The sun will take its toll on the paint and exposed surfaces over time but otherwise your car will do just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those with vette's in the heat

Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Todd969
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
Just curious, what in the world is a "swamper." A de-humidifier or something?

Swamp cooler, very popular out here for garages. They work awsome when the humidity is below 20%.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I live in southern Arizona and deal with sunshine and high heat...your car will be fine parked in a garage. You don't need cooling in the garage just for the car's benefit.

When you park outside, use a sun screen on the windshield...get your windows tinted. You could use a car cover. Using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the dash filters UV rays and helps prevent sun damage. The sun will take its toll on the paint and exposed surfaces over time but otherwise your car will do just fine.
We have AC in the garage when I need to work for an extended period as well as a roll around "swamp cooler" - - water runs onto felt pads with a high speed fan - - the process adds moisture to the air and cools the air- works best with lower humidity. The swamp coolers cost less to operate than straight AC.

I'd echo Wayne's advice-- tinted windows, sunscreen for the windshield - - coat the leather and vinyl with protectant and for my two cents, add a good cover (Coverking, NOAH)

If at all possible too, make sure you've got a couple of coats of good wax on the car - - -we've got another month or so of brutal weather .. .then it's just hot for awhile .

Good luck-

Last edited by CQRT; 08-27-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd969
Swamp cooler, very popular out here for garages. They work awsome when the humidity is below 20%.
Cool. Thanks! I will have to look into one.

Quick Reply: Question for those with vette's in the heat