C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Vette, 1st Weekend. Impressions and (lots of) Photos.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Traxx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
My wife's and my first Corvette—a 2009 MN6 NPP Z51 AO Coupe—arrived on Friday. So what do we think of our dream car?

First of all, this all happened very fast: Our Vette was in a thousand pieces on Monday, started being built Tuesday, and was on the truck Thursday night. It arrived in St Louis just after noon, Friday. I received the call from my salesman and at first I had trouble believing him. I never thought I'd see this car in August; what a welcome surprise.

We picked it up, with 7 inspection miles, at 4:30. I asked the dealership not to wash it because I didn't want anyone else scrubbing the finish. The paint can't be more than 15 days old, after all. (I haven't Zainoed yet, and will wait the obligatory 30 days before waxing.)

This is my first new car ever, and only my forth car ('82 Volvo 240dl, '93 Ford Probe GT, '97 LT1 Camaro Z28). Needless to say my heart was thumping as we drove off the lot.

My first few minutes with my dream car, looking her over before a brief test drive.

Steve, the Corvette guru at the dealership, took me through the ins and outs of the car. He wondered why he was bothering since I knew it all anyway. I told him I'd spent a lot of time on a very knowledgeable Corvette forum

Just arrived home. I'm a little ... giddy. Dreams do come true.

As some of you know, I was worried about the choice of Atomic Orange. Well, my wife LOVES it. And it is growing on me, fast. I can say for sure that it is, absolutely, orange. I mean, seriously orange. There is none of the red hue that DSOM had. However, it seems to turn heads, and it really is a very striking color.

What ... a ... Smile!!

Yeah, I finally let my wife near it. Just kidding; it's her dream car too, after all!

Day 2 started with a good, gentle wash. There was a light, dirty film on her from the transport (the truck must have come across some rain). We were eager to wash her before the neighbors came over for a look, but unfortunately they were stalking our driveway first thing in the morning (we live in a very close, friendly neighborhood and they were all waiting along with us for the Corvette).

The first time water hit the finish; her first wash.

Kate wants her turn sudsing the Vette

A brand new chamois for a brand new Vette

Be a u ti ful!

We went for a picnic in Forest Park, turned some heads, and put in a few more gentle break-in miles

So, at the end of our first weekend with our first Corvette we are very happy. The car is amazing. Not only is it sexy as hell, and fast (even on mild acceleration it is easy to see the kind of power the LS3 is capable of), but it is also full of creature comforts. The ride is much more forgiving than my Z28. The clutch is friendly and streetable, and the Z51 gears are punchy but civilized. This is a car Kate can drive—unlike my Z28 which was too racy and unforgiving. Without a doubt it is the most refined and capable car I've ever driven ... and certainly the best I've ever owned. Hands down.

Oh, and did I mention the first Vette we saw—a blue, convertible C5—exchanged a friendly wave with us.

Life is good. Yes indeed, life is good
I smiled throughout your entire post. It was cool to see you so happy about your new acquisition. I felt the same way when I got mine. Enjoy it man
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Traxx
Drifting

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
My wife's and my first Corvette—a 2009 MN6 NPP Z51 AO Coupe—arrived on Friday. So what do we think of our dream car?

First of all, this all happened very fast: Our Vette was in a thousand pieces on Monday, started being built Tuesday, and was on the truck Thursday night. It arrived in St Louis just after noon, Friday. I received the call from my salesman and at first I had trouble believing him. I never thought I'd see this car in August; what a welcome surprise.

We picked it up, with 7 inspection miles, at 4:30. I asked the dealership not to wash it because I didn't want anyone else scrubbing the finish. The paint can't be more than 15 days old, after all. (I haven't Zainoed yet, and will wait the obligatory 30 days before waxing.)

This is my first new car ever, and only my forth car ('82 Volvo 240dl, '93 Ford Probe GT, '97 LT1 Camaro Z28). Needless to say my heart was thumping as we drove off the lot.

My first few minutes with my dream car, looking her over before a brief test drive.

Steve, the Corvette guru at the dealership, took me through the ins and outs of the car. He wondered why he was bothering since I knew it all anyway. I told him I'd spent a lot of time on a very knowledgeable Corvette forum

Just arrived home. I'm a little ... giddy. Dreams do come true.

As some of you know, I was worried about the choice of Atomic Orange. Well, my wife LOVES it. And it is growing on me, fast. I can say for sure that it is, absolutely, orange. I mean, seriously orange. There is none of the red hue that DSOM had. However, it seems to turn heads, and it really is a very striking color.

What ... a ... Smile!!

Yeah, I finally let my wife near it. Just kidding; it's her dream car too, after all!

Day 2 started with a good, gentle wash. There was a light, dirty film on her from the transport (the truck must have come across some rain). We were eager to wash her before the neighbors came over for a look, but unfortunately they were stalking our driveway first thing in the morning (we live in a very close, friendly neighborhood and they were all waiting along with us for the Corvette).

The first time water hit the finish; her first wash.

Kate wants her turn sudsing the Vette

A brand new chamois for a brand new Vette

Be a u ti ful!

We went for a picnic in Forest Park, turned some heads, and put in a few more gentle break-in miles

So, at the end of our first weekend with our first Corvette we are very happy. The car is amazing. Not only is it sexy as hell, and fast (even on mild acceleration it is easy to see the kind of power the LS3 is capable of), but it is also full of creature comforts. The ride is much more forgiving than my Z28. The clutch is friendly and streetable, and the Z51 gears are punchy but civilized. This is a car Kate can drive—unlike my Z28 which was too racy and unforgiving. Without a doubt it is the most refined and capable car I've ever driven ... and certainly the best I've ever owned. Hands down.

Oh, and did I mention the first Vette we saw—a blue, convertible C5—exchanged a friendly wave with us.

Life is good. Yes indeed, life is good
One more thing, remember man, when you're washing it, wash it in linear strokes all over -- NO CIRCULAR MOTIONS!. When you're washing the hood, start near the windshield and wipe down towards the front bumper in linear strokes. When washing the sides, start near the window and wipe downward in a straight line, stopping halfway between the running boards and the window. For the lower half of the car, use a brand new microfiber towels. The lower half of the car has the largest, most damaging particles, so treat the car as two halves with two sets of towels. Also, get yourself a plug in leaf blower and dry her that way. Don't towel dry. Do this, and your Vette will be relatively free of swirls and scratches. Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Congratulations on the new Corvette. The car looks stunning in the photos. Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy the ride. Here's to many miles of smiles.

Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Enjoy it!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
1pdman
Instructor

Love the AO! That will be the color of my next one!!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

congratulations, great looking car and pictures....
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
larvette
Drifting

Congrats on the new vette! Awesome car and color!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
freyke
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the O.C.D. world of Corvette ownership!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvilin
Congratulations on your new Vette it looks great and I am sure you and your Wife will enjoy it and be smiling for many days to come.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Jimmy G.
Racer

That's cool.

Congrats.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MONTVALEGOLF
Great write up and pics! Congrats on a great car and this is just the start of Corvette dreaming.
super sharp
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
captron2
Pro

Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by KC-Vette
...and since your so close...pack up and head to Effingham and show off that beauty to everyone at the Funfest, Sept. 19-21..
We'll be there! I hope to park/hang out in the Forum area. Can't wait to meet some of you.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
wsharp24
Burning Brakes

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats....check out m2w switch!!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Vette, 1st Weekend. Impressions and (lots of) Photos.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by gene0809
Congrats....check out m2w switch!!
Yep. It's in the mail. I ordered it last week

Can't wait to pop that in and see what the wild setting sounds like

Thanks for all the congrats, everyone! Now if I can just leave work early and drive around for a while ...
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Congratulations
I can see by the smiles how you feel
Old 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She's a beauty...congrats...

Quick Reply: 1st Vette, 1st Weekend. Impressions and (lots of) Photos.