C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I trust the price on the window....

Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
tom3257
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I trust the price on the window....

Hello, going shopping today for my first C6. Sold my C5. Anyway, my question is.....Can I trust that the dealer will give me the true GMS price when I ask? Are they bound by some sort of agreement with GM? Thanks in advance....tom
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

It clearly says on the GMS advertisment "Dealer participation may vary"

I'd make sure you goto the GMS website (I dont have it handy but I found it when I was looking at the Cadillac CTS-V)

It allowed me to punch in model/make of car and get GMS pricing.

Good luck!! and Inspect every figure by the dealer!!

Here it is...

http://www.gm.com/summersale/summers...g=en&year=2008
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
atomicfusion
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

All you have to do is ask to see the invoice... The GMS price is clearly marked on the invoice. It is also ILLEGAL for them to show you a "FAKE" invoice.

If you ask the question and they won't show you the invoice then it is not accurate.

There are many laws that protect the buyer in the the process. I sold cars about 5 years ago and know these things from experience.

Just ask to see the invoice.

GMS (employee pricing) and GMSupplier Pricing are both displayed on the right hand side.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

So the conclusions you can make from the above are: go in armed with information, know what to ask and look for/at, and see if they are on the up and up.

If not, walk fast. Don't stand around trying to make them own up and do the right thing. Why waste your time? Speaking of which, why not call vs. drive over, and ask for the manager and ask the question: are you going to sell it at actual GMS employee price, or am I gonna get a hassle? If there's any hesitation, why bother wasting your gas?

Tell us how it turns out.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a car (with a GMS certificate) for my wife the day before the nationwide GMS pricing went into effect and the dealer made mention of having to do everything 'by the book' because they get audited by GM. On a GMS sale, where they normally jackup the doc fee they were obligated to give a lower, document fee with a GMS sale. I'm no expert on GMS pricing but it would seem the dealership has to comply with the rules.

To view the latest regional incentives or to build a vehicle and see the GM employee discount price, go to www.gmfamilyfirst.com and click on "Start Shopping" tab.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Alreadyinuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I bought a car (with a GMS certificate) for my wife the day before the nationwide GMS pricing went into effect and the dealer made mention of having to do everything 'by the book' because they get audited by GM. On a GMS sale, where they normally jackup the doc fee they were obligated to give a lower, document fee with a GMS sale. I'm no expert on GMS pricing but it would seem the dealership has to comply with the rules.

To view the latest regional incentives or to build a vehicle and see the GM employee discount price, go to www.gmfamilyfirst.com and click on "Start Shopping" tab.
I bought a 2008 Z06 last Wed. at the "GMS for everyone" price sale. Two different dealerships told me that because it was not a true GMS sale they were permitted to charge their usual inflated doc fee. The one I bought from did drop it from $479 to $79 when I insisted.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:15 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Window sticker is usually MSRP. Dealer invoice is much lower than MSRP, Supplier is lower yet and employee price is the lowest. The Dealer wants the highest price he can get (imagine that!) and will confuse you with terminology if he can.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Ask your dealer to run off a BARS Document Display for the VIN you are interested in. On the right side of the page about 1/3 down it will state GMS:, Supplr:,MRM: and MEMO. Of course you are interested in the GMS price and the MRM(MSRP).
Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Ask your dealer to run off a BARS Document Display for the VIN you are interested in. On the right side of the page about 1/3 down it will state GMS:, Supplr:,MRM: and MEMO. Of course you are interested in the GMS price and the MRM(MSRP).

Same information is on the invoice. The dealer is obligated to show you the invoice if asked. NEVER pay a documentation fee. If you cave in and pay one, never pay more than $75 because you love your dealer.

The MEMO field is the amount GM is paying the dealer to deliver the car at GMS plus other money. A very good deal for the dealer and the customer. Don't get schmoozed into thinking they are doing you a favor.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What is GMS price and MEMO give-back on a bare-bones, stick-shift, no options coupe, both '08 and '09?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
What is GMS price and MEMO give-back on a bare-bones, stick-shift, no options coupe, both '08 and '09?
Jeff Hardy's site indicates that Reliable Chevrolet has 1 08 and 4 09's that meet your criteria. Give Wes a call and see what they will do.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
microday
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tom3257
Hello, going shopping today for my first C6. Sold my C5. Anyway, my question is.....Can I trust that the dealer will give me the true GMS price when I ask? Are they bound by some sort of agreement with GM? Thanks in advance....tom
Go to www.gmfamilyfirst.com and search inventory....when you enter your zip code the dealers will show up. Just pull up the dealer you are looking at and list the inventory....from there click on the window sticker and the GMS price will show on the bottom. Print and take it with you....then as others have said ask for the invoice and you will see all the pricing. Its pretty transparent.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
It clearly says on the GMS advertisment "Dealer participation may vary"

I'd make sure you goto the GMS website (I dont have it handy but I found it when I was looking at the Cadillac CTS-V)

It allowed me to punch in model/make of car and get GMS pricing.

Good luck!! and Inspect every figure by the dealer!!

Here it is...

http://www.gm.com/summersale/summers...g=en&year=2008
always be ready to walk..
Old 08-24-2008, 01:45 PM
push
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ever have any doubt they are trying to screw you walk away. You can always come on and list off what the vehicle has and the members here will tell you about what it's worth. It's what I did and it worked well. Hell, if you really want to know you are getting a fair price, go see one of the forum vendors. I went with David at Reliable in missouri and he was great to me!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Window sticker is usually MSRP. Dealer invoice is much lower than MSRP, Supplier is lower yet and employee price is the lowest. The Dealer wants the highest price he can get (imagine that!) and will confuse you with terminology if he can.
Supplier is above invoice. I know because my local dealer offered it to me before I went with Tim for below invoice.

I know a few forum vendors were offering GMS on new 09s which seems like the way to go if you ask me. Of course the price is higher to start with than an 08 but you'll probably still save some money and get the car the exact way you want it. Go with someone like Tim at Boardwalk and you won't have to deal with a crappy salesman either or a high doc fee.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I trust the price on the window....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I trust the price on the window....