C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has this happened to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
fhuici
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this happened to anyone?

I loaned my car to my roommate and she went through a 5" to 7" puddle of water and the call turned off. She was actually at a gas station and had someone push the car out of the puddle for her. When she called, she said that car wouldn't start. By the time I got there, which was about 15 minutes, that car started and idled a bit rough for a second and then it cleared itself out.

Does anyone know why this could have happened? I've gone over small puddles before, definitely not more then 1 or 2 inches of water and this has never happened to me. While I always try to avoid them, living in south Florida, they are hard to avoid sometime.

Anyway, the car is running strong now but I'm wondering what could have made it turn off then not start for about 5 minutes. By the way, when I got to the gas station, I opened to hood but I didn't see any signs of water anywhere.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

PS. that was the last time I lean her my car!!!

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

do a quick search - there was a recent thread on this. cause is water in the air intake which draws air from under the car.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
sav426
Racer

Originally Posted by fhuici
I loaned my car to my roommate and she went through a 5" to 7" puddle of water and the call turned off. She was actually at a gas station and had someone push the car out of the puddle for her. When she called, she said that car wouldn't start. By the time I got there, which was about 15 minutes, that car started and idled a bit rough for a second and then it cleared itself out.

Does anyone know why this could have happened? I've gone over small puddles before, definitely not more then 1 or 2 inches of water and this has never happened to me. While I always try to avoid them, living in south Florida, they are hard to avoid sometime.

Anyway, the car is running strong now but I'm wondering what could have made it turn off then not start for about 5 minutes. By the way, when I got to the gas station, I opened to hood but I didn't see any signs of water anywhere.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

PS. that was the last time I lean her my car!!!

Thanks
Geez man unless its your wife dont loan her your car!! Let her drive her own!

Im glad it all turned out ok!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe some water in the intake. Did the air filter look moist?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

let me be the first to tell you to thank your lucky stars. The condition is called Hydrolock. Or soon to be bent rod syndrome or blown engine blah blah blah. There was an interesting thread last week on this. Bottom line get it to the shop via flat bed.
I bet you are the only one on this forum that would have lent their car to your room mate and now there are none.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

since when is 5 to 7 inches of water a puddle? how fast was she going when she hit the "puddle", and what does it matter? when you just "loan" this kind of car out
Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Gawd, your roomate must be good looking. Would you mind loaning her out while your car is in the shop.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
GigaHz
Drifting

Stock or aftermarket intake?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
fhuici
Instructor

Originally Posted by GigaHz
Stock or aftermarket intake?
After market intake..
Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
GigaHz
Drifting

Vararam?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My 05 manual says to let it dry out. Seriously.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

5" to 7", that is not a little body of water. Depending upon what speed she took the water at, the car could have ingested some water. A large portion of the Corvette intake air comes from the bottom. Hence the nickname it's a "bottom breather".

If you ingest enough water and it makes it past the intake and in to the combustion chamber you can cause the motor to hydro lock. Water is not compressible so when it gets in to where the pistons travel it can actually retard the motion of the piston hence stopping the combustion process. If it is enough water and the force is enough it can actually damage the block.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
fhuici
Instructor

OK, since the car started after a few minutes and is running good, should I assume everything is OK and I should count my blessings? Or should I still take it to the shop? And what will the shop do for that?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
08C6Z51
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was your punishment from on-high for breaking a Vette commandment. "Thy shalt not loan a Vette."

Hope it is okay. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
fhuici
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08C6Z51
This was your punishment from on-high for breaking a Vette commandment. "Thy shalt not loan a Vette."

Hope it is okay. Good luck.
Yeah, believe me that is absolutely the last time. I should have learned from another incident I had with her when she took the top off and didn't know how to properly place it and placed it upside. Needless to say, she scratched the crap out of the top. Luckily it came out with a little buffing. I can't believe I was that stupid to lend her the car again. I'm freaking out!!!

F#$#$^$&$))$(%
Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

OK, since the car started after a few minutes and is running good, should I assume everything is OK and I should count my blessings? Or should I still take it to the shop? And what will the shop do for that?

Thanks
You should in fact count your blessings. If the car is running and running well you likely don't have anything to worry about. It is possible that the engine was warm enough and that the amount of water was small enough that it evaporated and exited with the exhaust gas during the next ignition cycle. You didn't note what intake you have but you might consider removal and checking inside of the intake coupling and MAF to make sure you don't have any pooled water. If so, just dry it out. If you are running a filter element that can't be cleaned you should consider replacing it.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

years ago I was involved with a race baot group. They used to add isopropanol alcohol to the fuel tank to absorb stray water. Talon, what do you think?

Get notified of new replies

To Has this happened to anyone?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

you need to supply a picture of your room mate to see what would make you loan her your car - must be special
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I think I found your problem ...

Frank,

A lot of after market engine air intake systems have little if any, testing and validation, or resistance to water ingestion. The OEM air intake system is designed to properly filter the air and to help prevent water ingestion (within limits). It is not a U Boat.

However, 5 to 7 inches of water is a little much for the C6.

Last edited by calemasters; 08-10-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, believe me that is absolutely the last time. I should have learned from another incident I had with her when she took the top off and didn't know how to properly place it and placed it upside. Needless to say, she scratched the crap out of the top. Luckily it came out with a little buffing. I can't believe I was that stupid to lend her the car again. I'm freaking out!!!

F#$#$^$&$))$(%

You did not learn from the 1st mistake. Damn! She must be really HOT. Post some pics of her.

Quick Reply: Has this happened to anyone?