C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems w/ filling '08 gas tank...anyone else ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problems w/ filling '08 gas tank...anyone else ?

I live in new jersey, and can't fill up car myself. You have to let attendee do it. Well everytime i say " fill her up " the nozzle shuts off at about 5 gallons. And the guy, who doesn't speak very good english ,looks at me like i am crazy, when i say " give me about 8 more gallons " is this happening to anyone else or is it just me ?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JERGENSENLS3
I live in new jersey, and can't fill up car myself. You have to let attendee do it. Well everytime i say " fill her up " the nozzle shuts off at about 5 gallons. And the guy, who doesn't speak very good english ,looks at me like i am crazy, when i say " give me about 8 more gallons " is this happening to anyone else or is it just me ?
I took my Trailblazer back to NJ a few years ago and it was actually quicker to have it filled up in PA since I was making frequent trips to the Philly area anyway. They seem to shut off way to easy in NJ. The local chevy dealer wanted to replace the fuel tank or something. My local dealer replaced the vent tube when I got back. Never went back so never found out if it worked or not.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Vapor Lock. Pull the nozzle out a little bit and you will be good to go. Happens all the time.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM
SS Z51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing happen to me in Ohio. Seems like it shuts off around 5 gallons. I have to keep adjusting the nozzle and regulating the flow to get it to fill. Thought it was just me. Has anyone heard of a service bulletin regarding this? If so, please pm me.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Happens to me once in a while depending on the station.I just jiggle the nozzle a little and move it in or out a little till it stops stopping!Not a real big issue and only happens on occasion.I don't ever remember stuff like this happening in the 70's before all the anti pollution crap on the new pumps....Then again I don't remember much of anything else in the 70's at all!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
08C6Z51
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems with my Vette but when I had a Jeep it was horrible, cutting off every few seconds. Someone told me to point the pump nozzle up rather than down and that would solve it. I got rid of the Jeep and never tried his suggestion. I got to the point I HATED HATED having to buy gasoline because it took forever to fill the tank.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Thradar
Instructor

Pretty common at a Chevron station I go to that has one of those collapsing vapor capture devices. Don't have a problem anywhere else. Like others have said, pull it out slightly, or don't fill it on the max flow setting.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Yes, I have had this same problem with my 06. I live in Oregon and we also don't have self service gas. Apparently it's because the gas is going into the tank too fast. I went to Washington a couple of weeks ago and pumped gas myself several times with no problems. I did not use the automatic setting...I just pumped it slowly.

My dealership is going to fix this under warranty....apparently it happens with other Chevy models too. They are going to replace the filler neck and the vent tube (?).

Well I had the repair done last week and finally filled it up yesterday. Same old problem.....it shut off after 7 gallons. I needed a fill up since I have a club trip today. Try explaining to a non-English speaker that you need him to pump the gas SLOWLY. This is the most aggravating thing. I guess I'll have to drive over to Washington and pay more for gas just so I can pump it myself.

Last edited by INGER67; 08-23-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Thanks everyone for the responses...i thought i might be the only one. Even if it was something the dealer could fix i still wouldn't take it in....i've heard to many bad dealer stories, so i would just live w/ it...thanks again
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well....

If you put the nozzle in up-side-down, it seems to work great on the sensative nozzles... works for me.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Windward08
Racer

Happens here in Ohio for me too. Mine also does not shut off either sometimes and overflows a little. I found if I run the nozzle on the slowest setting it works better. Takes longer to fill though.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
TEXAZC6
Instructor

Could be totally off here but I think it senses that the 1st tank is full since mine always shuts off right around the 9 (total combine with what I put in and what is already in there) gallon mark. Once it starts to overflow into the other tank it tuns well until the tanks are full.

Only happens on really sensitive pumps though.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
P3C
Racer

I also live in NJ and in 7 years of Vette ownership, I have never let the "attendee" put gas in. I just get out of the car and politely tell them I will do it myself and I have never been refused or told I can not do it myself. My problem was not the vapor lock issue, it was when they fill it, once it clicks off they like to squeeze more in to round it up to the next dollar, and more times than not they put to much in and you end up getting the overspill down the side of the car!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in S. Jersey and usually pump it myself. Never had any problem with my 07 at any pump.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 PM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've filled 'er up twice and both times the filler neck spit gas back at me. Other than that it seems to fill up without stopping
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Happen to me here in Texas as well. There are a few different stations that it does it at, but they are the one's with the best prices so I keep going back.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, never happened to me - not this year at least.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems w/ filling '08 gas tank...anyone else ?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Thradar
Pretty common at a Chevron station I go to that has one of those collapsing vapor capture devices. Don't have a problem anywhere else. Like others have said, pull it out slightly, or don't fill it on the max flow setting.

I only have this problem at my local Chevron station .
Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
LPM
Racer

Putting in the nozzle Up side down works for me as well
Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by LPM
Putting in the nozzle Up side down works for me as well
I set the handle of the nozzle @ 2 o' clock and it works perfectly.

(Thank you, EMCO Wheaton!)

Quick Reply: Problems w/ filling '08 gas tank...anyone else ?