C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have your build sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by lennyg
While on tour during the 2007 Bash we noticed the line folks stuffing a rolled copy of the build sheet in the steel box section of the front bumper reinforcement. Might this still be going on?
That's very interesting. That is precisely where the build sheet used to reside in the C5. The practice was reported to be stopped with the introduction of the C6. I find it curious that the line would still have been doing that even though they weren't supposed to be any longer.....hmmm.

It is possible that they are placed there for transport while on the line and subsequently removed before final assembly of the fascia. I'll have to ask.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
That's very interesting. That is precisely where the build sheet used to reside in the C5. The practice was reported to be stopped with the introduction of the C6. I find it curious that the line would still have been doing that even though they weren't supposed to be any longer.....hmmm.

It is possible that they are placed there for transport while on the line and subsequently removed before final assembly of the fascia. I'll have to ask.
As a courtesy, why not just offer the build sheet as part of the purchasing process. Since this document is such a prized part of the vehicle to some folks, that would be a nice touch. Geez, it's only a piece of paper.

Or,

Are there other motives involved here, like...... hey, let's charge folks money for this. You think?

Norm
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by MdC5Norm
As a courtesy, why not just offer the build sheet as part of the purchasing process. Since this document is such a prized part of the vehicle to some folks, that would be a nice touch. Geez, it's only a piece of paper.

Or,

Are there other motives involved here, like...... hey, let's charge folks money for this. You think?

Norm
GM does not charge anyone for the build sheet. The build sheets are discarded at the end of the line typically. Some are retained by the plant for quality documentation. They used to be hidden in the car somewhere, that practice as fas as I know was stopped. Partly to reduce the effort to hide them, partly (probably to aide the museum's efforts to sell the reproductions - just a guess).

If you purchase a build sheet from the National Corvette Museum, first and foremost they are a private, not for profit orgainzation that is not affiliated with the GM or the Corvette assembly plant in any way.

The reason for the charge is to first, offset the labor cost associated with recreating the build sheet. These are only reproductions. Second, to help raise money which supports the efforts of the museum.

I'm very comfortable in supporting the museum. As you indicated, these are only important to some and frankly if it is important enough to the individual to want the build sheet then it is likely equally important to support the efforts of the National Corvette Museum.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Well when they stopped hiding a build sheet inside the car, it did provide a new revenue stream for the museum.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

GM does not charge anyone for the build sheet. The build sheets are discarded at the end of the line typically. Some are retained by the plant for quality documentation. They used to be hidden in the car somewhere, that practice as fas as I know was stopped. Partly to reduce the effort to hide them, partly (probably to aide the museum's efforts to sell the reproductions - just a guess).

If you purchase a build sheet from the National Corvette Museum, first and foremost they are a private, not for profit orgainzation that is not affiliated with the GM or the Corvette assembly plant in any way.

The reason for the charge is to first, offset the labor cost associated with recreating the build sheet. These are only reproductions. Second, to help raise money which supports the efforts of the museum.

I'm very comfortable in supporting the museum. As you indicated, these are only important to some and frankly if it is important enough to the individual to want the build sheet then it is likely equally important to support the efforts of the National Corvette Museum.
Going back to my original point, offer it as a courtesy. You know, customer relations type stuff.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVetteFan
Congratulations.

At some point I may order a backup copy, but right now I have the real deal with smudges and masking tape. Since this was my first Vette, it is really special to me.
That is great! Sounds like you might have done the museum delivery. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point but that is the sheet I bought, smudges, rips, footprints, masking tape and all. Couldn't pass up that chance.

And thanks also to Talon90. We are so lucky to have him here as a member.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by MdC5Norm
Going back to my original point, offer it as a courtesy. You know, customer relations type stuff.
That's GM's decision. Not mine, nor the museum. Frankly, your "courtesey" ends up costing them in the end. I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I personally would have liked to have it. For them, it just becomes one more thing to keep track of and one more "part" that they have to touch and worry about which ultimately adds cost in a production line environment.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sherman Fretwell
That is great! Sounds like you might have done the museum delivery. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point but that is the sheet I bought, smudges, rips, footprints, masking tape and all. Couldn't pass up that chance.

And thanks also to Talon90. We are so lucky to have him here as a member.
I actually was fortunate enough to do both the Buyer's Tour and NCM Delivery. I got the Build Sheet at the end of the Buyer's Tour. Because of reading about the Build Sheet on the Forum, I had been watching out for it during the day of my Buyer's Tour. I had seen it move to a couple of different places on the car (hence the masking tape). The last time I saw it, it was either on the hood or the front fascia. When the car came out of the well lit tunnel (where I think they do final paint and body panel inspection) I was able to get in the car, start it and the guide took a couple of photos. When I got out of the car, I noticed the Build Sheet was gone. I asked my guide about it and he started looking for it. It had been folded and placed in the rear storage compartment. He pulled it out for me. I am not sure what would have happened if he had not, but I got to add it to the things I had been collecting that day.

I would highly recommened the Buyer's Tour and NCM Delivery to anyone who can make two trips to Bowling Green.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 3and8fan
Yes, get it through the museum. Ordered a repo one about six months ago then they advertised they some of the originals. Ordered that one as well. The original has markings on it where it went through the build process. Do get them laminated. They are about $40.00.
I ordered a reproduction when I first got the car. Now the museum is offering original build sheets like you said. So I ordered one last week. I received mine in the mail today and you're right, it is marked up.

Very cool plus it helps support the museum.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Build sheet

Originally Posted by ClovisFox
In addition to my build sheet, I managed to obtain a computer screen shot while my 2008 (VIN 1640) was being built last July. Pretty cool huh?

Gene...

So how did you manage to get a screen capture/picture of the screen if no cameras are allowed on the tour?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by biskitman
Got my build sheet during my museum pickup, but why cant they just stick the original sheet in the car golve box etc when the car leaves the factory. What is the big deal about this? It should be part of every car that is sent out! I sure would like to have my original that was on the car as it headed down the line instead of a copy laminated at the museum!
That would work if the sheets weren't stuck to the front of the car. It is easier to rip them off and toss them at EOL than to remove them and fold them to put in the glove box.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has the build sheet in the glove box, but that is one of 4 that are on the car at JNAP (Front, Fenders x2, Glove box).
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by geewez
So how did you manage to get a screen capture/picture of the screen if no cameras are allowed on the tour?
On any PC you can get a screen shot by using the PRTSCN button and pasting the saved image into MS Paint. This is probably what was done.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

From the Museum's web site.

Limited Year Corvette Build Sheet "Originals" Available

We have obtained a limited number of original Corvette build sheets from the Corvette Assembly Plant and are offering them for sale through our Resource Center . We have random build sheets on Corvettes produced from 2002-2007.

These are “not” reproduction copies and many are marked, tattered and worn from the journey through the build process. Contact the Resource Center at: (800) 53-VETTE to find out if your 2002-2007 build sheet is available prior to purchase.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by It'sHerVette!
From the Museum's web site.

Limited Year Corvette Build Sheet "Originals" Available

We have obtained a limited number of original Corvette build sheets from the Corvette Assembly Plant and are offering them for sale through our Resource Center . We have random build sheets on Corvettes produced from 2002-2007.

These are “not” reproduction copies and many are marked, tattered and worn from the journey through the build process. Contact the Resource Center at: (800) 53-VETTE to find out if your 2002-2007 build sheet is available prior to purchase.
it looks like someone working at the factory started a collection of build sheets in 2002 and has now "offered" them to the museum so they can sell them.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just received a Build Sheet and original MSRP window sticker from NCM a couple days ago for a 94 C4 that I got for my wife. They charged $40 for each plus $5. ea for lamination. Thought it was expensive but it's a little piece of history and nice to have.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

100%

I have a VISS copy from the selling dealer and plan to still order the full size repro one from the NCM as well.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Devil Dog 00023
Instructor

Talon90 is on top of this thread... the build sheet offers very little value... it the dealership windown sticker that most owners want... and they can be wrong... I know since mine list my hp as 436 and the car did not come with NPP... I installed it after the fact... so the copy of the window sticker is not 100% correct... the build sheet I leave in the car during shows... codes don't mean a thing to me... nor to general public...

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have your build sheet?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it would help a lot of people out if someone could post a clear and detailed photo of a build sheet so we can see exactly what they show.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I purchased a copy of my buildsheet from the museum right after purchasing my car. I saw the post about the original buildsheets so I called. They called me back this morning and informed they had my original buildsheet and would be mailing it to me. For a price of course. It will be fun to have but I've changed the car so much I should just create my own updated build sheet.

Quick Reply: Do you have your build sheet?