C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino 1st Timer, help with swirls please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Zaino 1st Timer, help with swirls please!

Got my Zaino triplet pack and went to work on the car today:

Washed with Dawn, then All-in-one, let it dry for a few hours in the garage while I did some errands, then wiped her off.... and I've got swirls. I tried buffing them off a little better but I think they're still there. I applied CS (clear seal) over it and I don't think it helped. Did I use too much AIO? What now? Will Z-8 (grand finale) make it batter, worse, or no change? Buff some more? Let it sit overnight then see how it looks? I hope I didn't just spend a few hours giving myself a brand new headache! Thanks for your help...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Swirls or streaks? Streaks are caused by the product not being dry when you wipe it off. I know Z6 spray removes the streaks. If the Z8 is a spray it should do the same.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

you should call Sal in the am (sent you the number in a PM) he will tell you exactly what is wrong but you should have have but clear seal over a problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

They look swirl lines from buffing off the AIO; you can smear them with your finger... I'm hoping the Z8 spray (which is supposed to work like a super-shiny Z6) will do the trick.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use only Zanio and do not have this problem. A couple of thoughts:

1. Zaino has to be COMPLETELY dry before you try to wipe it off. If not, you just move it around. Test this by rubbing your finger across the surface. If it is shinning underneath, then it is dry. If it is still wet, it will just smuge.

2. Only use 100% cotton towels to wipe off Zanio or any wax for that matter. Towels with polyester in them will scratch the surface.

3. DO NOT wipe in a circular motion. Only wipe the horizontal surfaces front to rear and the verticals up and down.

All the above is on the Zanio website.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
They look swirl lines from buffing off the AIO; you can smear them with your finger... I'm hoping the Z8 spray (which is supposed to work like a super-shiny Z6) will do the trick.
did you apply and remove the AIO by hand?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

If you can smear it them it sounds like it was not dry to buff off. Try to buff it again, if it was hot and humid it takes longer to dry. When you buff it with a cotton towel it should feel nice and soft and smooth.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM
hogasm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call Sal

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
you should call Sal in the am (sent you the number in a PM) he will tell you exactly what is wrong but you should have have but clear seal over a problem.
Sal would be my call
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by maxp
did you apply and remove the AIO by hand?
yes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08

1. Zaino has to be COMPLETELY dry before you try to wipe it off. If not, you just move it around. Test this by rubbing your finger across the surface. If it is shinning underneath, then it is dry. If it is still wet, it will just smuge.

2. Only use 100% cotton towels to wipe off Zanio or any wax for that matter. Towels with polyester in them will scratch the surface.

3. DO NOT wipe in a circular motion. Only wipe the horizontal surfaces front to rear and the verticals up and down.

I plan to call Sal but I will keep the above in mind. I bought some new cotton towels today but I did not have time to wash them and they were leaving lint on the car so I switched to microfiber which I have used for years without a problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ron C00k
If you can smear it them it sounds like it was not dry to buff off. Try to buff it again, if it was hot and humid it takes longer to dry. When you buff it with a cotton towel it should feel nice and soft and smooth.
I let it dry for 2 hours... it was about 80 and pretty humid.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08

My guess is you used too much. Only needs to go on very, very thinly, and needs to dry completely.

Use the Z8. That should take care of it. If not, let it sit for 24 hours and then try again.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
dreed614
Intermediate

I agree, most likly used too much.
I had the same problem when I applied Z-CS, I could not remove the streaks even with Z-8 and Z-6. I washed it with Z-5 the next day then applied Z-6 and no more streaks. It now looks Great.

In the beginning I used too much zaino, and rubbed too hard. It takes very very little and light rubbing with frequent rotation of the 100% cotton towel.

Don't worry, it is easy to fix and will look unbelivable.
Call Sal he is great.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
FlyByVette
Advanced

Agreed, you had a moisture issue, and may have applied to much.

I found that using one of those faux super shami's to dry and I discovered this remarkable product in Denver called Prima in a shop called of all things Detailers Paradise and was provided a great deal of insite on it's use and pointers too. Granted detailing isn't paradise, but the results do turn heads. You should check this stuff out!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

It sounds like you tried to remove the Zaino before it was dry....If you have the Z7, wash it with that or any other Car Wash Soap....You smears should be gone after that.....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Thanks for the advice. For you cotton towel users, don't you find lint to be a problem? Also, I bought bath-sized towels (per the advice from the Zaino site) and found them really heavy when wet and awkward to keep them from touching the ground. Do you guys just use several smaller towels?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
ZeusC6
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thanks for the advice. For you cotton towel users, don't you find lint to be a problem? Also, I bought bath-sized towels (per the advice from the Zaino site) and found them really heavy when wet and awkward to keep them from touching the ground. Do you guys just use several smaller towels?
You can just wet a towel and wipe off the streaks. Sounds like you put too much on. It should take just a smidge over a 1/2 oz. of product to cover the car, any more than that is too much.
As far as the cotton towels... I have no problems with mine with any lint, I buy top of the line Ralph Lauren towels when they're on sale,100% cotton, white and Made in USA only. If you bought bath size towels just cut then in half and their more workable. not sure why you have them so saturated that there heavy.
I use an electric blower to remove 90% off the water on the car after a wash. Then just use 1/2 the towel like I said above to remove the other 10%, the towel is barely damp.

Last edited by ZeusC6; 08-07-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino 1st Timer, help with swirls please!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Never had a problem with Zaino
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I plan to call Sal but I will keep the above in mind. I bought some new cotton towels today but I did not have time to wash them and they were leaving lint on the car so I switched to microfiber which I have used for years without a problem.
Cotton is no longer the ticket. Buy a few dozen more microfiber towels. The last Cannon cotton towels I bought were from Pakistan, and they were lint factories. I bet that's why Pakistanis look like they have dandruff.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli
Cotton is no longer the ticket. Buy a few dozen more microfiber towels. The last Cannon cotton towels I bought were from Pakistan, and they were lint factories. I bet that's why Pakistanis look like they have dandruff.
Good cotton towels still work great. Ralph Lauren's towels are 100% US cotton, and are worth searching out if you want to stick with cotton. Cannon (and most other brands) are made overseas, and the quality of the cotton can be suspect.

Microfiber works really well, but again it's a matter of quality. There's lots of "microfiber" towels out there, but they're not all the same. That's why Zaino doesn't recommend them - they haven't been able to find consistent quality products out there. If you use microfiber, stick with the "brand names", and you'll probably be okay. Check out Autogeek.net - they have good prices and good selection - and more importantly, good products.

Quick Reply: Zaino 1st Timer, help with swirls please!