C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear widebody conversion = buyer's remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Traxx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear widebody conversion = buyer's remorse?

I have been wanting a Z06 for the longest but I'm in my early 30's and it just doesn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money at this point. I'm a lot more into it for the looks than the performance, so the conversion makes sense. I'm thinking of only doing the rear for now only (possibly the front bumper too, based on whether I get any feedback on how good or bad a Z06 bumper looks on a regular C6 without the Z06 fenders). But I wanted to know if there was anyone out there who sort of regretted spending thousands of dollars on the rear conversion (a relatively insignificant change based on the money spent, or whether you look back on it as money well spent). I've never done such an expensive upgrade to a car that would have such a small return if I ever were to sell it, much less a mod that would alienate or discourage buyers in the event that I ever had to sell. THanks guys.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'm a big fan of the wide-body. Trying to decide if I should convert mine or just buy one that's already done.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxx
I have been wanting a Z06 for the longest but I'm in my early 30's and it just doesn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money at this point. I'm a lot more into it for the looks than the performance, so the conversion makes sense. I'm thinking of only doing the rear for now only (possibly the front bumper too, based on whether I get any feedback on how good or bad a Z06 bumper looks on a regular C6 without the Z06 fenders). But I wanted to know if there was anyone out there who sort of regretted spending thousands of dollars on the rear conversion (a relatively insignificant change based on the money spent, or whether you look back on it as money well spent). I've never done such an expensive upgrade to a car that would have such a small return if I ever were to sell it, much less a mod that would alienate or discourage buyers in the event that I ever had to sell. THanks guys.
Your comments show a lot of wisdom and thought. Financially speaking you can only lose on this - you won't recoup your investment on resale and it COULD be a potential negative to some buyers (possibly a positive but more likely neutral to negative). With that said, guess what - virtually any vehicle purchase from an "investment" standpoint is a terrible decision. So - emotion is involved. IF you really want that widebody and you'd be very happy with it AND you are realistic on the costs (think about all the paint match issues you see on this forum and how many have done a total repaint) then do it.

So - it's up to you in the end. Your head appears to be screwed on right on the issues. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

If you use some of the rationale there then you should never buy a car. It's never a good investment. I did mine love it don't regret it and don't give a crap about resale. I didn't do it for resale I did it for me. If you love the look are going to keep the car a while do it and don't look back. If you are worried about resale don't do it, if you are worried about spending the money, don't do it as you aren't commited to doing it.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people want the widebody and the removable top. I certainly would like to do it but I really can't justify the cost of doing right now.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it looks just fine as long as it is installed correctly.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a lot of money and unless you have more than you know what to do with I would say hold off. As others have mentioned its a lot of money, plus there is the possibility that the paint doesnt match and you will be very dissappointed. Also, IMO doing just the rear widebody looks very awkward on a regular C6 the entire conversion front and rear needs to be done for it to look good. If I was in your situation I would hold off.

James
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

I've been given a quote of $14,500.00 not incl taxes from a place in California. That's a "complete" conversion of course. It's something to consider but I seem to go through cars more frequently these days and in my case, a very poor financial prospect.

Red Cell.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

If you want to do the rear do it. It's not ton's of money just to do the rear. Just make sure you keep your quarter panles and stock wheels. Then when you sell convert it back. You won't loose that bad people are always looking for the rear fenders.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a big fan of dressing-up a C6 just to look like a Z06 but it's OK. I realize we all have different preferences and priorities.

I don't know how long you might keep the car but as cost is a factor and resale value a consideration, I think by the time you buy the body panels, have them painted and installed, buy new wider wheels and tires, buy and install a big brake setup and considering you probably won't get any return on your mod expenses upon resale (in fact maybe just the opposite), you'd be better off waiting. Prices on used Z06's are dropping each year. I'd save my money and buy a Z06 when I could.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

...buy a used Z06
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

I thought Widebody Fan's came out in force like Zaino fan's so I'm always very cautious not to offend...

I'm suprised to see some of the comments that support the fact that widebody is
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

90% of the replies here are from people who haven't done it, and wouldn't do it and probaly have never seen one done in person and aren't replying to the specific question asked. He asked if anyone has done it and regretted doing it.
There are a million other threads going asking for someones opinion as to whether it looks good or bad, this isn't one of them
Old 08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
If you use some of the rationale there then you should never buy a car. It's never a good investment. I did mine love it don't regret it and don't give a crap about resale. I didn't do it for resale I did it for me. If you love the look are going to keep the car a while do it and don't look back. If you are worried about resale don't do it, if you are worried about spending the money, don't do it as you aren't commited to doing it.
I did it on my 07 LMB coupe and do not regret it at all....I like the wide rear look! I also dont' worry about resale,or what other folks think or say.....I did for me!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the wide body done only on the rear, and it looks real good. What would look wierd is doing just the front. That would be funny.
Is'nt there an issue with the rear tire size when that's done? Also, are you happy with the HP you have now? It will look more agressive, so do you want the power to match the looks?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
dingrao
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 106 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Red Cell
I've been given a quote of $14,500.00 not incl taxes from a place in California.
For that price I would have just gotten a Z06, lol.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear only and no regrets. Everytime the car is out I get people pointing, staring, asking me to pull over and I doubt its because of my hot wife I'm not a fan of using ZO6 wheels but to each their own. Do a search on me to see my car.

I agree your post shows some wisdom and the way you asked the question makes a lot of sense. I think the only guys you will find that have done it and regret it are ones who got a bad paint job. Buy the parts from Gene, find a good painter and install it your self. You will not regret it or I will personally drive to your house and take you to dinner. How's that for a vote of confidence? Don't put yourself in debt over it and make sure you consider the little costs like wheel and tire mounting and what wheels to run etc. Every time I see her big booty it makes me smile.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear widebody conversion = buyer's remorse?

Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Cell
I've been given a quote of $14,500.00 not incl taxes from a place in California. That's a "complete" conversion of course. It's something to consider but I seem to go through cars more frequently these days and in my case, a very poor financial prospect.

Red Cell.
, that is on the very high end, here's my math:

$1,500 for rear 1/4s painted
0-$300 for labor on rears, $0 if you do it your self
$4,500 for front and bumper painted, just guessing here as did not look up
$500-$750 for labor on front and bumper installed

Total=+/-$7,000

If your quote included new rims sized for C6Z and new rubber, you may be close to $14K provided rims are custom.

If you go the economical route on rims and tires (C6Z replicas or C6Z originals found in the Parts Section, I think about $2,500 will get it done.

I did the rears, like the look, like the black C6Z rims, also need the 345s for traction. I am not into appearance mods, but this one I would do again and again and,,,

NO REGRETS, NOT EVA!!!

Last edited by onebadcad; 08-01-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Traxx
Drifting

You guys really make a lot of sense, and i appreciate all the feedback. I'm still really on the fence about this!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Traxx
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
90% of the replies here are from people who haven't done it, and wouldn't do it and probaly have never seen one done in person and aren't replying to the specific question asked. He asked if anyone has done it and regretted doing it.
There are a million other threads going asking for someones opinion as to whether it looks good or bad, this isn't one of them
Hehe, details, details I still appreciate the feedback though. For me spending an additional 15-20k even on a used Z06 is just not worth it. I ONLY want the upgrade for the looks. I really don't need 500 hp and the other premiums of the Z06.

The numbers break down like this:

Front bumper: $600
Rear panels (already painted): 1500
Z06 oem Wheels and tires: 1600

And me and my buddy are gonna install it, so not TOO pricey. The brake upgrade will come later. I'm still wondering if the front bumper will give me fitment issues on standard c6 front fenders. Some say yes, some say no. Grrrr....

Quick Reply: Rear widebody conversion = buyer's remorse?