C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SIR-GM1 yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
biskitman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed SIR-GM1 yesterday!

I know I will get flamed because XM and SIRIUS merged but I ordered the SIR last week and received it Tuesday. I installed it yesterday in about 10-15 minutes. I took time to shrink wrap the antenna connection so it would not come off thats why it took so long. Activated it and holy s**t what a better sounding unit! I dont know if the electronics are better or what but I do have to say the sound is much better. I noticed the signal dropped a couple of times for a second or two but XM did that also. I know I could have kept XM and eventually gotten SIRIUS on the XM unit but I dont think the sound quality would have been as good. Besides, until the whole package merger thing is ironed out I will get a good sound with killer SIRIUS channels for a minimal cost of 55.00 dollars for the unit. For those wanting better sound in the meantime, go with the SIR-GM1. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You did the right thing, the content will be the same for a while with each service with the ability to add premium programming (some channels) either way, there won't be one set of channels for a couple years. My 3-month XM trial will be over soon, whom did you purchase the unit from?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
biskitman
Racer

Sonic Electronix was who I ordered from on Ebay.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
slab0meat
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I, too, just switched out to the SIR-GM1 unit, having been a 2+ year Sirius subscriber... and yes, the sound quality is much better. There is nothing on XM that I'd want, when the time/option comes.. I'll be set for a long time, since Sirius is all I want.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I presume this is the same unit that was in my 05 and will work in my 08,correct?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
harrytasker
Advanced

I got a SIR-GM1 for Christmas, I kept using the XM antenna, rather than install the Sirius version. It seems to work just as well. I'd read it does make a little difference but none so significant that I bothered to change the antenna.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i have sirius on other cars. When i traded by 05 c6 to my 08 with xm, i was blown away by how miserable the sound quality is. i guess they split the bandwidth a lot more than sirius. i like sirius' programming better so was happy about this whole merger business.. but now i'm wondering if switching the unit out is worth it just for sound quality or maybe when sirius starts pushing xm channels, if they will have to drop the bitrate of their channels too and basically have the same sound as XM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

The CEO of the new company advised that it will take about 15 years to combine the two channels because the signal for each company is broadcast by a different satellite, said need to launch new satellites that transmit on both frequencies. Advised they will see which channels to provide on both services, should start seeing overlap by September.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
2009 C6
Racer

All good info. I can't stand XM's low quality, either. I think they compress it more than Sirius, and even with the merger I see that the transmission mediums won't change for a while.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

The CEO of the new company advised that it will take about 15 years to combine the two channels because the signal for each company is broadcast by a different satellite, said need to launch new satellites that transmit on both frequencies. Advised they will see which channels to provide on both services, should start seeing overlap by September.
Overlap meaning sirius stations on my vettes xm channels??
Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2009 C6
All good info. I can't stand XM's low quality, either. I think they compress it more than Sirius, and even with the merger I see that the transmission mediums won't change for a while.
well i fear that if sirius is using up (theoretically) 100% of satellite bandwidth for their number of channels and have good quality, then they will have to drop either quality of broadcast (bit-rate) or some of their own channels in order to carry the added xm channels. the same is true for the reverse situation, only worse:

if xm is using 100% of their satellite bandwidth and sound crappy, then they add more channels, the quality will either be worse or drop original channels.

so yes, in other words, higher compression or lower bit-rate alotted per channel.

So in conclusion: i feel though this situation is a positive because of added channels, i do feel until new satellites are launched (15 yrs as previously stated), the quality of audio is going to drop.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
slab0meat
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 08crm
Overlap meaning sirius stations on my vettes xm channels??

With your current XM tuner, you will NOT be able to get Sirius stations until they come out with a tuner that can receive both signals.

And even then, I believe you'll be limited as to how many Sirius channels you can get with an XM subscription... and it'll cost extra.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

With your current XM tuner, you will NOT be able to get Sirius stations until they come out with a tuner that can receive both signals.

And even then, I believe you'll be limited as to how many Sirius channels you can get with an XM subscription... and it'll cost extra.
OK,THANKS.I guess I'll go ahead and purchase the SIR-GM1 then.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Has anyone tried to switch their already paid subscription from XM to Sirius?
I have Sirius in my truck, and it is far better quality than XM.
I would like to install the SIR-GM1 in the Vette, but hate to waste a 1 year paid XM subscription.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Has anyone tried to switch their already paid subscription from XM to Sirius?
I have Sirius in my truck, and it is far better quality than XM.
I would like to install the SIR-GM1 in the Vette, but hate to waste a 1 year paid XM subscription.
I let my 1 yr.paid run out then switched (when I had my 05).I doubt you'll get any refund from XM should you end the subscription early.Hard enough getting them to understand english!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Originally Posted by slab0meat

I'm sorry but that is not what the folks over at XM Sirius said.

Old tuners from either former company will receive select channels from the other carrier at no additional charge. It's just a matter of sending the stream to their satellites. Thats why there will be a drop in audio quality.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Rowboat66
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Good information. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed SIR-GM1 yesterday!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
AF330i
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by biskitman
I know I will get flamed because XM and SIRIUS merged but I ordered the SIR last week and received it Tuesday. I installed it yesterday in about 10-15 minutes. I took time to shrink wrap the antenna connection so it would not come off thats why it took so long.
Can you explain this a little more, what part did you shrink wrap ?

Also where did you install the Sirius antenna ?

I've had the SIR GM1 unit since it came out on my Coupe and I am use the existing xm antenna but I get a LOT of drop outs. I think I am going to switch it to the sirius antenna that came with the unti but I didn't want to have the sirius antenna showing.

Originally the first time I hooked it up I used the Sirius antenna and velcro'ed it to the inside of the rear hatch. It was ugly and the wire was exposed in the hatch area.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks !!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Also where did you install the Sirius antenna ?
Use the existing XM antennas for the SIR-GM1.The sirius one won't do any better if it's not up on the roof area someplace.Drop out is a part of the price of admission for satellite radio.unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009 C6

Quick Reply: Installed SIR-GM1 yesterday!