C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! Speeding and tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 AM
MagnusXIII
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Speeding and tinting

I got a speeding ticket 78 in a 65. Im really good about my speed but I guess it happens to everyone. So he comes to the window with the tint checker and mine is 32% instead of the legal 15% in Alabama. I bought the car at the dealer with windows like that, not knowing they were illegal. What should I do?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 AM
sloegin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MagnusXIII
I got a speeding ticket 78 in a 65. Im really good about my speed but I guess it happens to everyone. So he comes to the window with the tint checker and mine is 32% instead of the legal 15% in Alabama. I bought the car at the dealer with windows like that, not knowing they were illegal. What should I do?
Drive slower and get 15% tint?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 AM
MagnusXIII
4th Gear

lol I mean can I get the dealer to do the tint for me since I was under the impression it was legal. Also anything I can do to fight the tickets effect on my insurance. Maybe a class or something? Im only 24 so its a big deal to me :/
Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 AM
sloegin
Advanced

lol I mean can I get the dealer to do the tint for me since I was under the impression it was legal. Also anything I can do to fight the tickets effect on my insurance. Maybe a class or something? Im only 24 so its a big deal to me :/
I would ask the dealer about the tint thing and find out what he will do. I guess you can tell him that you didn't know the tint (that's on your car now) is illegal. Tell him you need it change ASAP or you'll start sending him your tickets...LOL
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 AM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the lower the number of % the darker the tint?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Tint

Isn't 15% tint darker than 32% tint? The lower the number, the darker the tint. If the dealer added the tint to a brand new car from inventory, then they should know what's legal and what isn't to prevent problems from LE. On the other hand, if the car is a trade in, then there's a good chance the tint was added by the previous owner.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

All vehicles registered in the state of Alabama must comply
with Alabama window tint law, Act 96-534, which was
effective August 15, 1996

Only the upper six inches of the front windshield may be tinted. All other windows may have tinting that allows at least 32 percent light transmission, with a 3 percent tolerance for error. Reflective material may not reflect more than 20 percent of light.

About the speeding citation, just pay the ticket and hope your insurance premiums don't go up.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:51 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with above post...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I think the OP may have transposed the numbers (or their understanding) of 15% vs. 32%.

Regarding the speeding - that's on you. Contact your state or an attorney for options in fighting or reducing the impact of that.

Regarding the tint - that fine should be picked up by the dealer AND they should make your car "legal" at no cost to you. In all reality your dealer should be falling over backwards to make that right for you. No dealer wants the hassle or reputation of marketing an "illegal" vehicle. Be prepared for the dealer to offer to make it right simply by removing the tint, however. That's what I would offer if I were the dealer.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
05vettelag
Racer

Im only 22 so i could only imagine how worried you are about your insurance. Get a V1 or Passport 8500 or 9500, that should help ya out with getting a early warning about the radar
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
KENZ51
Drifting

as far as the speeding ticket goes, you might be able to do Defered Ajudication,(meaning you pay a fine and dont get any tickets for 6 months, and it doesnt go on your record) if its offered in your state. I did it here in Texas a few months ago. and be more careful!

Last edited by KENZ51; 07-24-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Crimecrusher
Racer

Contact the court and ask for your options on the ticket. You should be allowed to take defensive driving and get the ticket dismissed if you haven't had to do that in the last year. Or you could also get deferred...this is where you promise to not do it again and the court gives you a time frame and ticket goes away if you don't get another ticket in that time frame.

As far as the tint, the dealer most likely will not fix it. You'll have to get the car re-tinted and then speak to the judge. Tell the judge you purchased the car that way and then show him that you spent the money to get the windows re-tinted to leagal standards. He/she will most likely drop those charges.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Alabama, to my knowledge, does not offer "traffic school" or any other means to "get out of a ticket." The court may agree to hold the conviction in abeyance for a period of time (say, a year) if you don't have any other offenses. You can certainly ask the prosecuting authority for this kind of deal, but if he says no, then you have to either fight the ticket or agree to pay it. Either way, the fact that you got a ticket will be information available to your insurance carrier. Good luck with that.

As for the tint, mksz51 is kidding, right? Let me see if I have this straight - you bought a used car knowing it had tint on the windows, right? You never bothered to ask what it's level was when you bought it? I guarantee you the dealer didn't install it - the previous owner did. The dealer has no liability here. Even if they did - good luck ever getting them to pay you for it. They are going to say that they had no reason to "check" the tint level and that you never asked them to do so. Man up, get the tint removed, and move on.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
HurtSoGood
Advanced

Yes, a lower number inducates a darker tint. 15% = Only %15 of light is let in and so on and so forth.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM
xxVETTExx
Intermediate

call an attorney. they can usually keep the ticket from affecting your insurance.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Rocky7777
Instructor

I dont think 13 miles over the speed limit would result in too much of a hit to your insurance, but I'm not sure, maybe you could research that. A lot of times if you go to court on the court date, they will plea bargain with you and drop it down to something lower before the court day begins.

As for the tint, I traded in my last car with illegal tint and they never questioned it. I'd ask them to make it right. Did you get a ticket for the tint as well? If so, this one you can probably get out of if you make it right before your court date.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Never plead guilty to a speeding charge. Go to court and play along. Just say you didn't realize how fast you were going. Just showing up will usually reduce your charge, often to a non reporting ticket to your insurance company. Don't waste your money on a lawyer. What have you got to lose. The worst that can happen is they find you guilty.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please! Speeding and tinting

Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
SB60
Pro

Pay the ticket or get it resolved any way you can to avoid your insurance going up. As for the tint, check your numbers again. If the officer was wrong then don't worry about it (unless you were cited for it.) If he was right, and you bought your car new, the dealership should make it right. If you bought it used, then it is up to you to make it right.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
harrytasker
Advanced

This maybe handy for everyone:-

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...%207-19-07.pdf

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/E...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette

As for the tint, mksz51 is kidding, right? Let me see if I have this straight - you bought a used car knowing it had tint on the windows, right? You never bothered to ask what it's level was when you bought it? I guarantee you the dealer didn't install it - the previous owner did. The dealer has no liability here. Even if they did - good luck ever getting them to pay you for it. They are going to say that they had no reason to "check" the tint level and that you never asked them to do so. Man up, get the tint removed, and move on.
Sorry - but I have to disagree with you here. I think the dealer DOES have a responsibility not to sell an "illegal" vehicle. This isn't a $700 car you're buying from behind the dealership - depending on the dealership it may likely have been one of the most expensive used cars on the lot. The dealer surely made enough profit to pay for any remedial action to make it right - even if that only means removing the tint. I agree that many dealers work on a "buyer beware" type philosophy and wouldn't offer up front to alter a vehicle (especially if the appearance was appealing to the buyer). You go in and call them on it, however, and I'll bet a fair amount they'll do whatever they can to make it right. Not sure, I'm no lawyer - but there may be some legal requirements supporting the buyer here also. You may be a lot "nicer" to the dealer than I am - I'd hold them accountable.

Quick Reply: Help please! Speeding and tinting