C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JSB Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
lkformylove
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JSB Question

I'm a little confused because this color has so many different looks to it. Is there some order option, or type of wax, or something else that makes the JSB look darker blue or lighter blue? Or does the JSB truly change this much based on conditions and angle alone? Great color all around btw, I'll be buying one shortly.

thanks,

David
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
ChefMark
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Zaino on our JSP and the only thing I see is bring out the metal flake more. There is no real difference in actual color.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I almost got a JSB, after months I came to this, its to bright but later in the day it look hot! I end up with CRM. Like I said there were times I dug the color other times I could not live with it...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I think what you are seeing is the effect of the tintcoat of the paint under various lighting conditions. The paint does change quite a bit depending upon how it is viewed or photographed.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I think what you are seeing is the effect of the tintcoat of the paint under various lighting conditions. The paint does change quite a bit depending upon how it is viewed or photographed.

My sister first saw my JSB coupe in the garage, and she remarked that it was teal. Later, outside in the sun, she couldn't believe there was no green in it. It changes quite a bit depending upon the lighting, the angle, etc. I never get bored with the color of my car.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

I use Zaino, but I don't think it has any effect on the color.....The changing tones of color is one of the reasons I like the color so much. With the tint coat it looks different depending on lighting, angles, in the dark and it glows in the sun....

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

JSB is never the same shade twice. It flips all over depending on lighting conditions. Sometimes it's almost as dark as electron blue, sometimes it's almost teal green.

These are all the same car...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
clint4vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Zaino

Originally Posted by ChefMark
I use Zaino on our JSP and the only thing I see is bring out the metal flake more. There is no real difference in actual color.

Zaino brings out the flake like sunshine and smiles.

We have 4 coats on my wife's JSB coupe and the detail of the metal flake is
Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

As others here have stated; because of the 2'nd stage JSB tint coat, lighting conditions will absolutely change your visual perception of the exterior color.

JSB is a 3 stage paint system with the second stage tint coat being very akin to a custom pearl coat.

If painting a panel piece in JSB; 3 coats or 5 coats of Jetstream Blue base coat will produce virtually the same color hue and saturation.

When the second stage JSB Tint Coat is sprayed over the base coat; the amount of tint coat is what creates the refractory elements thats causes the JSB color hue and saturation to change based on light absorbtion.

The photographs posted by the member showing the JSB C6 in various outdoor lighting and indoor lighting conditions bests defines how the tintcoat absorbs and reflects light creating visual changes in color hue and saturation.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by C6LSx
As others here have stated; because of the 2'nd stage JSB tint coat, lighting conditions will absolutely change your visual perception of the exterior color.

JSB is a 3 stage paint system with the second stage tint coat being very akin to a custom pearl coat.

If painting a panel piece in JSB; 3 coats or 5 coats of Jetstream Blue base coat will produce virtually the same color hue and saturation.

When the second stage JSB Tint Coat is sprayed over the base coat; the amount of tint coat is what creates the refractory elements thats causes the JSB color hue and saturation to change based on light absorbtion.

The photographs posted by the member showing the JSB C6 in various outdoor lighting and indoor lighting conditions bests defines how the tintcoat absorbs and reflects light creating visual changes in color hue and saturation.
Thanks for the explanation. I just got my JSB coupe last night. I have been researching this color (looking at photos actually) for a few months. I love the way it changes color but I have not understood what the 'tint coat' actually meant.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
lkformylove
Instructor

Wow, great technical post. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bonnell
Thanks for the explanation. I just got my JSB coupe last night. I have been researching this color (looking at photos actually) for a few months. I love the way it changes color but I have not understood what the 'tint coat' actually meant.

Congratulations on your new JSB C6 Coupe.....great color choice; I choose it for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it reminded me of the old Nassau Blue that was very popular on the C2 Stingray's.

The vast majority of factory paint finishes are single stage paint jobs consisting of primer, base color coat and then a clear top coat.

Jetstream Blue is very akin to an aftermarket 3 stage Pear Coat which would consist of a primer coat, a colored base coat, a tinted pearl clear coat and then a final clear coat.

The tint coat consist's of a very diluted or reduced base coat, the metallic flake and clear coat.

Aside from the factory primer coat; our car receive a JSB colored base coat, an application of JSB Tint Coat and then it is followed by a clear hard coat.

Off topic; there are also custom aftermarket Kandy paint finishes as well. These consist of a primer coat and then typically a base coat of either silver or gold metallic and then a tranparent lollipop color (red for Candy Apple Red for example) and then a final clear coat. Kandy's are very difficult to match and the material is very expensive.

The "Lamborghini Orange" that you often see duplicated on other vehicles is typically a 3 stage Kandy Paint Finish.

PPG has a "Vibrance Collection" of single and three stage paints that are often used by alot of body shops to do OEM paint repairs and duplicate many of the higher end OEM paint finishes.

Enjoy your new C6!

Last edited by C6LSx; 07-23-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
chris36053
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mforman42
:It changes quite a bit depending upon the lighting, the angle, etc. I never get bored with the color of my car.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a JSB C6 on the freeway today(clear sunshine) for the first time. MUCH lighter than I'm used to seeing in pictures, I didn't like it!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by talon90
Other tint coats, like my velocity yellow C6 will give the same effect.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by ChefMark
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 AM
2009 C6
Racer

TPW 7/28

Get notified of new replies

To JSB Question

Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
I saw a JSB C6 on the freeway today(clear sunshine) for the first time. MUCH lighter than I'm used to seeing in pictures, I didn't like it!
And in direct bright sunlight; I really like how my JSB coupe reflects light. The lighter hue reminds me very much of the old Nassau Blue pictured above on the C2 Stingray.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

And in direct bright sunlight; I really like how my JSB coupe reflects light. The lighter hue reminds me very much of the old Nassau Blue pictured above on the C2 Stingray.
..... It seems strange that someone (DitchTehFish) who doesn't like JSB writes a post in just about every JSB thread....

Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by pettvette
..... It seems strange that someone (DitchTehFish) who doesn't like JSB writes a post in just about every JSB thread....

Thank you for the "side by side" pictures. It's no great secret to anyone that knows me that a Nassau Blue C2 Stingray with a 427/435 engine package is my favorite car of all time.

I'm not as much of a fan of the C2 convertibles as I am the C2 Coupes with the styling design of how the doors blend into the top of the roof line; as Enzo Ferrari once said...."convertibles are for playboys and coupes are for racers"!

I just think the C2 Stingray Coupe is a truly timeless automobile design and is so classic looking on so many different design levels.

Pure American V8 muscle with an exterior body design that incorporated the functional stinger hood, c pillar vents, teakwood steering wheels and genuine factory knock-off wheels that even today looks like it belongs in a European car museum.

I will go out on a limb here and say that IMO the C2 Coupe was the abolute pinnacle of American automobile design regarding any American sports car; both past and current.

Quick Reply: JSB Question