C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Wallace Says No More Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Tom Wallace Says No More Horsepower

Just read a Tom Wallace (GM) interview in one of the rags yesterday, where he describes that the future of the Corvette is not going to be adding any more additional horsepower, in the coming years. Rather, they will be concentrating on refining the Corvette in other areas (fuel economy, interior, etc.). I'm trying to remember which magazine as I had a few. Anyone else read a similiar article, if not the same?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" DETROIT — The Chevrolet Corvette will live on despite tougher fuel economy rules. But the redesigned car, expected in about 2012, could be lighter and smaller than today's Corvette.

And the V-8 that powers the Corvette of the future may be smaller than the one used today.

"I don't think we're going to design a 700-hp Corvette," Tom Wallace, vehicle line executive for the Corvette, said here at the auto show.

"What's going to be more important is fuel economy, carbon footprint and green. We have already paid a lot of attention to those areas. Where we can pay more attention is pounds per horsepower."

"Wallace said he envisions a Corvette that is "more fuel efficient ... even nimbler than it was before. But he said no decision has been made about horsepower or engine size.

The 2009 ZR1 will have a top speed over 200 mph.

Rather than trying to top those performance numbers, Wallace said: "I think we need to say, 'We reached performance levels that are pretty good. Let's maintain those and improve fuel economy.' "

<http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6544446/the-general-forum/corvette-has-a-future-but-maybe-a-lighter-greener/index.html>

Also,
<http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index.cfm/2008/1/22/Lighter-Greener-Corvette-on-the-Horizon>
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I expect it all to be true except for one thing. Making it much lighter is going to be very difficult. 100 - 200 pounds would be doing good. The reason is that they are not likely to reduce power or get rid of a V8. 400 horsepower still takes some beefy components to handle the power.

Second is that they are not going to be able to eliminate luxury features that most buyers (myself included) want. In fact, to try to keep sales up, they may actually have to add some features.

Personally, if they can hold the weight or reduce it 100 lbs, add some features like a top end surround sound stereo, cooled seats, and maybe a few other features, and maybe tweak the handling to be a little more world class (read the current Car & Driver), AND keep the power to weight were it is today I'll be happy. I'm the first to admit that making it faster without resorting to all wheel drive is going to be difficult anyway.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They could make it smaller for sure with the same power. I agree alot with keeping the hp at the current amount. Alot of 700-800hp cars really aren't that streetable and not many people need it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Still trying to find the magazine (wasn't Motortrend, R & T, etc.) and doesn't really matter anyway. He has basicly said the same thing in a few articles now.

Fixed.

Last edited by GotVett?; 07-23-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:35 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured they would not add more power. They are focusing on fuel economy now. That doesn't mean we can't have a Vette we all want and expect. It just means they are going to change their thinking process for the C7.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
0to60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me a wuss, but I was surprised/disappointed when they came out with the LS3.

I felt that my 345hp C5 was fast enough for a car, and if for some reason it wasn't then the 405hp C5 Z06 was. When the C6 came out with 400hp, I thought it was overkill. Then when the LS3 came out...

I had always hoped that chevy would have capped it at 400hp or so and then tried to hold the line while increasing mpg. The LS3 is just another high power engine, but a 400hp V8 that got 25 mpg around town would really impress me AND set a new standard amongst car manufacturers. That was my thought, at least.

But when it came time to shop for a C6 I really wanted the LS3 and ended up placing an order for an 09, go figure! Never said I was consistent...
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

None of this is much of a revelation. If anything, the US is behind the curve in changing our automobiles to match what is really needed in today's world.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Still trying to find the magazine ( wasn't Motortrend, R & T, etc.) and doesn't reallay matter anyway. He's basicly said the same thing in a few venues now.
It was probably Motor Trend, since they have that article online:
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6544...ner/index.html
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Right now, GM is trying to sell Zr-1...
so of course theyre not going to say that they are planning on making another supercar in a few years.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
" DETROIT — The Chevrolet Corvette will live on despite tougher fuel economy rules. But the redesigned car, expected in about 2012, could be lighter and smaller than today's Corvette.

And the V-8 that powers the Corvette of the future may be smaller than the one used today.

"I don't think we're going to design a 700-hp Corvette," Tom Wallace, vehicle line executive for the Corvette, said here at the auto show.

"What's going to be more important is fuel economy, carbon footprint and green. We have already paid a lot of attention to those areas. Where we can pay more attention is pounds per horsepower."

"Wallace said he envisions a Corvette that is "more fuel efficient ... even nimbler than it was before. But he said no decision has been made about horsepower or engine size.

The 2009 ZR1 will have a top speed over 200 mph.

Rather than trying to top those performance numbers, Wallace said: "I think we need to say, 'We reached performance levels that are pretty good. Let's maintain those and improve fuel economy.' "

<http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6544446/the-general-forum/corvette-has-a-future-but-maybe-a-lighter-greener/index.html>

Also,
<http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index.cfm/2008/1/22/Lighter-Greener-Corvette-on-the-Horizon>

They need to get their act together

Could be lighter and smaller???? May have a smaller engine?????

Sounds like he doesn't know any more about the next Corvette than we know. I would hope the C7 is at least in early development by this time. If not, it will be a 2013 model year or later.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Consider this about 1969 right now, we have a few more years left with our current levels, its all over folks.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
Right now, GM is trying to sell Zr-1...
so of course theyre not going to say that they are planning on making another supercar in a few years.
what are you talking about? those cars are ALREADY sold.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It may be very tough to lower the weight of the C6. It already has a 425 payload limit. If the frame is lightened it would require stronger, lighter materials like carbon fiber, titanium(very improbable) or aluminum. I can only imagine the cost And if they go with the cheaper of the three like the Z06's aluminum frame, we might have trouble with creating a removeable top. They could lower the weight of glass, but that might look . The best they could do is mount the engine on two wheels! That would lighten things up. The main weight is in the trani/engine/axles. I suppose they could make those parts out of lighter materials, like bamboo, . I just don't see a lot of room for any significant wt. reduction. Unless they shrink the engine. Time will tell, but hang on to your C6s, these current versions of the vette may go down in history as the last of the HP top dogs.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

400HP is plenty.

Unless Chevy goes into the Drag Racing business.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
400HP is plenty.

Unless Chevy goes into the Drag Racing business.
There are alot of people here that would disagree with your first statement.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I'm so tired of hearing about carbon footprints. That's one of the gayest PC things I've heard.

I'd like to shove my carbon footprint up Al Gore's ***. I can't knock him though. He's the smart one in the bunch- he's made million$ off of "global warming"

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Wallace Says No More Horsepower

Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
There are alot of people here that would disagree with your first statement.
That is an understatement. There are nearly 300,000 posts in the just the C6 performance section. Many of these are in regard to increasing the stock HP level.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the 70's all over again. Horsepower will eventually drop, even if it is by the means of a smaller lighter car that can have the same performance.
Hopefully the gas crunch will end or there will be another form of power that will give us the horsepower back.
I really think GM should supply us with a strong, affordable aftermarket program that is covered under warranty. thiis way they can meet their demands and we can benefit from their testing of the products.
They could even make the car cheaper to offset the lost horsepower.
Shawn
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
Quoted from Tom Wallace: "What's going to be more important is fuel economy, carbon footprint and green. We have already paid a lot of attention to those areas. "...

"Wallace said he envisions a Corvette that is "more fuel efficient" ...

Yes, because as we all know, these are the reasons that people buy Corvettes. For better fuel economy, carbon footprint, and to be "green"

Good lord the decisions at GM never cease to amaze me.

Quick Reply: Tom Wallace Says No More Horsepower