C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Window Tint Discussion. IDEAs/Suggestions? Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C6 Window Tint Discussion. IDEAs/Suggestions? Pros and Cons

Hey Guys, 2005 C6 Vette owner here from Houston, TX (Yea it's hot)

Now that I am officially sick of the Heat, I was wondering if anyone here had ideas or suggestions about window tint as far as PROS and Cons of doing it, buyer's remorse after doing it. Is it a GO?

And also if you llive in the Houston area and have gotten tint on your baby here I was wondering if you guys know of any reputable shops and particular brand names of the actual tint itself that I should be purchasing. Also wind tint percentages (20 vs. 35%) and also how it affects your night driving.

I'd rather spend the money and get a good job done on her.

Thanks Guys.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
tntdominic
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
Default Tint

Window tint is almost a must in Houston. My previous vette was a VY and the window tint made it POP. As far as Texas law is concerned, you can go as dark as you want with the rear, ie limo or 10%, but your side windows cannot exceed 25%. Your windows come from the factory with a small amount of tint, so for side windows, I recommend going with 30%. It is very important you find a tinter that does corvettes as tinting over the 'divots' in your upper back window can look hideous. A good corvette tinter will use black vinyl over the divot part and hide the 'divot's. Ask around your local corvette clubs, they probably have a favorite place they go to. You will enjoy the look and the comfort of a great tint job. Expect to pay around $150 or so. As far as night driving goes with tint, you can see pretty much everything to the sides, but not a whole lot behind you, so you will have to use your side mirrors for that.
Cheers,
Pat

Last edited by tntdominic; 07-21-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I like mine, but it was a nightmare to get it done right. I took mine to the Pro Shop attached to the Chevy dealership that services my Vette. They had done excellent work in the past, so I wasn't concerned. Oops. The guy that installed it used a rusty blade to cut the rear tint, and he cut huge gouges into my rear deck glass. To the dealer's credit, they installed a new rear glass and had someone install the tint gratis. But, it took over 2 weeks to get the glass in. You have to beware of everything.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
JamRWS6
Racer

Originally Posted by tntdominic
Window tint is almost a must in Houston. My previous vette was a VY and the window tint made it POP. As far as Texas law is concerned, you can go as dark as you want with the rear, ie limo or 10%, but your side windows cannot exceed 25%. Your windows come from the factory with a small amount of tint, so for side windows, I recommend going with 30%. It is very important you find a tinter that does corvettes as tinting over the 'divots' in your upper back window can look hideous. A good corvette tinter will use black vinyl over the divot part and hide the 'divot's. Ask around your local corvette clubs, they probably have a favorite place they go to. You will enjoy the look and the comfort of a great tint job. Expect to pay around $150 or so. As far as night driving goes with tint, you can see pretty much everything to the sides, but not a whole lot behind you, so you will have to use your side mirrors for that.
Cheers,
Pat
They can also use a special adhesive over those dots that will make the tint stick to the dots and not leave the bubble marks
Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
They can also use a special adhesive over those dots that will make the tint stick to the dots and not leave the bubble marks
It greatly depends on the installer. You need to make sure you have a good installer otherwise it could end up looking bad.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Thank You. Here's my next question. Anyone got theirs done in Houston??? and if so, where at and does it still look good?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
2006VET3030
4th Gear

Anyone from around the Milwaukee area? Know of a decent/quality "tinter"??
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 334 Posts

Tell them to use Magoops!

http://www.dotmatrixwindowtinting.com/

I have to take mine back for a redo since the tint has now pulled away from the dots. I will insist they try this product. Sounds like it resolves the issue without the vinyl solution.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have limo tint all around on my vette and truck. It looks great and it fights well the AZ sun, but you have to drive by Brail at night.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Centex
Racer

there are no cons ... lol .... all PROS ... i would go with at least a 20% tint - 35% if you want to be "legal" ... expect to pay as much as 225$ for a GOOD job - when i say good - i mean that they do the back in ONE piece . dont be affraid to ask them if they have done a vette before - and dont let them tell you it "cant be done" many places i have talked to can do it -make sure you get a tint with no metal in it - with tint you get what you pay for - so dont think saving a 100 buck now will work in the long run - 3m has this new stuff out that uses all carbon in it instead of ceramic - which use to be the "standard" for good tint .
correct me if im wrong fellas //
Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
sonofavette07c6
Instructor

Location: St.Petersburg/ El Paso/Sierra Blanca Florida, Texas

i got 5% all around and i love it but i still feel the heat a little because i have the glass top other than that i love it. it is still cooler than if it was not tinted i live in florida to.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

k what about this metal tint versus gps issue???

I'm scared.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM
xxVETTExx
Intermediate

i just got mine done, and had to shop around quite a bit to find someone who knew what they were doing. first, ask the installer how he gets around the dotmatrix issue on the back glass. if he does not know what you are talking about, you better find someone else. the guy who did my car used vinyl and i am very happy with the results. looks perfect. another trick to see if they know what they are doing is to see if they know how to get the window all the way up with the door open (screwdriver in the latch). once i saw they guy doing mine use that little trick, i breathed a sigh of relief. i would just call all the shops in your area and ask them a few questions to decide who you wanna go with. also, higher price does not necessarily mean better quality. i had a guy quote me 350+ to do it, and he did not even know what i was talking about with the back glass issue. good luck. i got a guy in hammond, la if you cant find anyone
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Get some tint! legal
Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Just got the car tinted by Pedro Blue in Webster TX. Paid a little more than other places but he came in highly recommended by many peopl eon here and I must say what a nice job TINT IS PRISTINE I LUV IT!!!!

Good Jobn Mr. Ted Bennett (who happens to be the owner and installer) GOOD JOB!!!! Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
DaddyRay
Advanced

What did he say about the dotmatrix issue? Did he do the rear in one piece? What kind of tint did he use? I'm only about 45 minutes from Webster. Phone number? Thanks...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
huge.eug
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know a good tinter in Cincinnati??

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Window Tint Discussion. IDEAs/Suggestions? Pros and Cons

Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
branmin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone had a problem with using metal in the tint(which most have) affecting the performance of your V1?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Great if you are a drug dealer or a low rider. If you just want to reduce your vision at night, wear your sunglasses.

I like to see where I am going and if some sweet thing wants to smile at me it's just fine with me. It's fun. No way I am climbing in and out of a Corvette to back it up or rolling windows down to change lanes.

I had to peel it off on one of the C6's that I had and it is a pain to get rid of the glue, especially with the window indexing. Total garbage as far as I was concerned. Wouldn't go near a car again with that junk.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I must have pretty good vision in my old age because I don't have a trouble seeing out the rear window of my C6. Quality of tint matters a lot also. Some are real cheap but crap, with distortion and won't last long. They also don't block the heat that much. The best tints won't fade, inside of glass feels cool as the inside of the car and there is no distortion.

Quick Reply: C6 Window Tint Discussion. IDEAs/Suggestions? Pros and Cons