C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9k Milles Too Long for Oil Change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:28 PM
lurtonk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
GM installed an oil life monitor in our vettes for a specific reason...to monitor oil life.It works very well!!Follow it.Once a year is about what it adds up to.However many miles that may be.
If I had followed the oil life monitor I would still not have changed it. It was at 30% when I changed it.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

did first change at 1000 miles. now at 6000+ with 51% left on the DIC monitor. 5 months to go before I hit the once a year limit so I expect to change oil when DIC hits 10-15% sometime before the end of the year.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my M3 you had 15,000 mile intervals between changes.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Can you post the actual numbers from the oil analysis report? Blackstone tends to make some questionable comments on their reports from time to time, they'll say the wear metals were high when in fact they were perfectly normal.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If I had followed the oil life monitor I would still not have changed it. It was at 30% when I changed it.
Seems you had some oil life left in that case.It's a waste of money to do it sooner,as has been discussed ad infinitum on the forum and by people who've actually asked the factory worker in Bowling Green thia question.The monitor works!!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
HOTRODSRJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lurtonk
I recently did my 3rd oil change and it appears that 9k miles is too much.

I changed at 2500 then 8700 and most recently at 17,800.

Here is the quote from Blackstone:

"This oil was in use for 3 months and 9,133 miles. The wear metals improved compared to the
first sample, but are still higher than normal for the GM 6.2L V-8. The long oil change interval is the main
culprit; the long oil change interval is allowing metals to build up in the oil and make it abrasive.
We suggest you cut your oil change intervals by half
to help your LS-3 wear better."

My next change will be at 4500-5000 miles.
I have written so many articles on this subject ad nauseum that I can't stand to write another... for anybody! Aircraft, long-haul trucks, hotrods, street cars, muscle cars, lawnmowers... ...you name it and I've written about oil changes in them.

So, I will ask a few question and just give you my two sense.

First, who the heck is "Blackstone"? Not that it's revelent here.

Here's my take FWIW? Most true group IV base stock synthetics (Mobile 1 is that!) will easily go 12k in newer cars and trucks with quality filters! I would ask you what filter are you using? You can screw up a good oil life with a lousy filter.

I have run trucks (towing) and cars 15K and sent the oil off to be tested and everything came back still good. Now.. do I want to push it more.. no way! I would say 10 to 12 K is good unless you have a very harsh condition (dirty air, towing, extremely hot, very short trips etc).

Here is a great reference for all you want to know about oil and filters.

www.themotoroilsite.com
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...ers/index.html
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I called the Rep at Mobil 1 a few years ago and he told me that the oil is still fine even after 12000 miles, but he stated that changing the oil filter every 3000 is advised. That makes sense to me, but if I'm going to get dirty with the filter, I'll change the oil, too. I do mine every 5k.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
oldschooler07
Instructor

This is kind of scary. I did my initial change at 2000 mi. Since then, I've put another 8000 mi and if I use the reference on the DIC I will have over 12,000 mi on the oil when it needs to be changed. Now, all of my mileage is highway driven and not tracked. I just wonder why there are such large differences on the oil life from vehicle to vehicle. How does the computer determine oil life?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Can you post the actual numbers from the oil analysis report? Blackstone tends to make some questionable comments on their reports from time to time, they'll say the wear metals were high when in fact they were perfectly normal.
the less often you change is less money for the oil test company,think about that. i change once a year BUT i change oil filters every 4000 miles
Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM
2009 C6
Racer

Default Engine Oil Life System

When to Change Engine Oil

Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know when to
change the engine oil and filter. This is based on
engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on
mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at
which an oil change will be indicated can vary
considerably. For the oil life system to work properly,
you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has
been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is
necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL message will come
on. Change the oil as soon as possible within the
next 600 miles (1 000 km).

It is possible that, if you are
driving under the best conditions, the oil life system
might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for
over a year.
======================================== ==
However, the engine oil and filter must
be changed at least once a year and at this time
the system must be reset.

Personally, I'm changing mine every 3000 miles or 1 year, I think.

Last edited by 2009 C6; 07-20-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have about 4500 miles and two track days and it still says I'm over 50%

I'm going to change it before 5K

DH
Old 07-20-2008, 11:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by HOTRODSRJ
I have written so many articles on this subject ad nauseum that I can't stand to write another... for anybody! Aircraft, long-haul trucks, hotrods, street cars, muscle cars, lawnmowers... ...you name it and I've written about oil changes in them.

So, I will ask a few question and just give you my two sense.

First, who the heck is "Blackstone"? Not that it's revelent here.

Here's my take FWIW? Most true group IV base stock synthetics (Mobile 1 is that!) will easily go 12k in newer cars and trucks with quality filters! I would ask you what filter are you using? You can screw up a good oil life with a lousy filter.

I have run trucks (towing) and cars 15K and sent the oil off to be tested and everything came back still good. Now.. do I want to push it more.. no way! I would say 10 to 12 K is good unless you have a very harsh condition (dirty air, towing, extremely hot, very short trips etc).

Here is a great reference for all you want to know about oil and filters.

www.themotoroilsite.com
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...ers/index.html
Hmmm, well here is who Blackstone is: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about_blackstone.html.
Seem to be respectable to me.

So, per your written words, when towing, you don't run them 12K miles, or 15K miles, but something less, right? what? 9K miles?

As to the various sites, this looks a bit like the self-proclaimed oil person expert, 'bobisthe oilguy." is it? no one knows that person's name or quals---is the last name of 'bob', knize?

While we're at it, could you quantify your bona fides? thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Why buy a $50,000 car and scrimp on oil changes?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
dansdrm
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Oil

I change mine at 5500 on all autos that use mobile 1.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
jimhild
Pro

Our new 2008 Convertible has 5,500 miles on it today and the oil life remaining is 63%.

So no changes here for probably another 4,500 miles or so.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BBA
I actually heard about then found an article where Mobil-1 was tested in high mileage use. The thing that happens is metal and particulates go higher. Then, without changing the oil, they put a new filter on it and the particulates went back down to 'new' oil measures but the surprising thing is the oil actually had lubricated better than new fresh Mobil 1. This was a test over like 15-30K miles.

So, if your worried, just change the filter after three or four thousand miles and the oil when the DIC says to. The biggest thing that made a difference next to the oil filter was adding oil to maintain proper level.
Oil does not loose its ability to lubricate, it can only become contaminated with dirt, metal particals, fuel and moisture over time. which is why the 1 year or so change is required regardless of milage It's these contaminants that you are removing by changing the oil- Keep your oil cleanand well filtered, Your engine will "Live long and Prosper"
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by It'sHerVette!
I'm sure that the folks at Mobil 1 would totally disagree. You may want to send the test results to them and ask for their opinion. We heard Bill Maxwell, Senior Engineering Adviser, Exxon Mobil speak at Lime Rock last week and I believe that he stated that a 15000 interval was entirely possible at the outside.

Get notified of new replies

To 9k Milles Too Long for Oil Change.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

As to the various sites, this looks a bit like the self-proclaimed oil person expert, 'bobisthe oilguy." is it? no one knows that person's name or quals---is the last name of 'bob', knize?
Nope. I'm an admin on bobistheoilguy.com and the original "Bob" is Bob Winters, who is a Schaeffer oil dealer from Florida. I've spoken to Bob on the phone many times in the past when he first started his site and I started helping him out on it. He's extremely knowledegable about oil! He suffered a stroke a few years ago and sold his site to a man in Arkansas, who died of cancer a short while ago and his wife Helen now owns the site.

The first name of the other guy (Knize) is Russell I believe. That link is very old and very outdated.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTRODSRJ
I have written so many articles on this subject ad nauseum that I can't stand to write another...
First, who the heck is "Blackstone"? Not that it's revelent here....
HAHAHAHA. You might want to try Googling "oil analysis" sometime before submit your next "expert" article for publication. Next Google "spell checker".
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
HOTRODSRJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
Hmmm, well here is who Blackstone is: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about_blackstone.html.
Seem to be respectable to me.

So, per your written words, when towing, you don't run them 12K miles, or 15K miles, but something less, right? what? 9K miles?

While we're at it, could you quantify your bona fides? thanks.
Well.. I have learned something and Blackstone has something in common with me.. since you asked for "bona fides" which is in my "old timey" dictionary meaning "qualifications?".

I have to say this with a bit of embarassment too :o :o :o because after looking at Blackstone.. I realise that I know (or at least have met) Jim Stark, owner ! Notwithstanding the fact that I have housed airplanes out of Fort Wayne very early in my career!! I too am a Purdue University Engineering and also Technology Graduate and probably went to school with Jim Stark crossing paths in aircraft school I bet( Also I am a A&P and ASE mechanic qualified as well) , so I can't debunk his claims or lab experiences one ioda and in fact put money on it! So, I would say that the issue could be a filter issue since metal particals actually expotentially rose in your oil.

I also have written technical ariticles for a myriad of national magazines and websites in the automotive, aircraft and "hotrod" markets for years.

First, if you are changing your oil every 3 to 5 k miles you are pouring money down the drain. And, the perfect oil performance is probably around 5k due to the PH balance of today's new oils.

I also have to respectfully disagree with one of the posters here that oil doesn't lose it's lubricity. Regardless of filtering of contaminates, oil will indeed lose it's lubricating properties due to both temperature and shearing issues. Now, full synthetics will stand up to these issues dramatically better than fake synthetics (products made from Group III base stocks) and/or just plain dino stuff!

Quick Reply: 9k Milles Too Long for Oil Change.