C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 LS3 Vette Coupe vs "Top Dog" 2010 Camaro Z/28?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top camaro on launch wont be the 500HP version, but the ~400. Beyond that, Unless you really want the backseats, the vette is the better car. A base 09 or 08 will be havable for <43k, which seems like the best way to me.

Oh, if you can drive it confidently, that used Z06 idea sounds like a possible winner too, but itd have to be a real good deal. I dont think they've hit THAT low yet.

Last edited by ilkhan; 07-12-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 AM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two different cars intended for different type of buyers.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shawn h.
Two different cars intended for different type of buyers.
I dont know about that. They may not be aimed at the same exact buyers, but theres a lot of cross shopping Im sure. I cant be only one who is teetering. Probably not a first year at the rate school is going, but eventually. They are both RWD V8 performance vehicles. I dont think that many buyers would prefer the camaro, but if one lacks the funds for the vette...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fedaricko01
The General will never let the new Camaro even get close to its its pride and joy.
I think some of you missed the toungue in cheek here....look at his avatar

everyone knows the camaro, ta, fireturds, and grand nationals have all competed very well straight line through the years. even in the modern era, a stripper 6 speed ls1 camaro in '99 was a formidable opponent. 3800 lbs or not, 550hp and a monsterous, instantaneous tq curve would still be thrilling from a dig or roll IMO.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mblock66
I lurk almost everyday here and post very little since I don't yet own a vette

I was all set to order a 2008 AO 3LT with Nav etc etc. However I got engaged on May 3rd and really can't push getting the vette right now. The fiance knows my love for the vette and how much I want one. She isn't too keen on the idea of paying 50k for a "car" and says it is really my choice and my money but do you realize how much 50k will help us in our new start.....You can't argue with that at all. I will be 31 next year when we are married. I already own a home which she will move into. We are very secure on liquid cash as well.

So I do forsee in the next year or two me revisiting the toy decision. Especially if my job takes off.

Anyway....What are everyone's thoughts here on the "Top Dog" Z28 camaro scheduled for 2010 vs a base coupe?

I figure
436 HP vs around 500-550 supercharged HP in the Z28
around the same price tag (camaro might be a tiny bit cheaper MSRP but then factor in price gouging and they will equal out)
Vette 3200 lbs Camaro (unoffical) ~3700

How do you all think the top dog camaro will fare against the base 2009 coupe? I love the vette and have always dreamed of having one but I really like the looks of the preproduction Camaro that were just released. If the cars were comparable in price I would think the supercharged Z28 would hold value pretty well like the 2003-04 cobras do.

I am sure in the twisties the camaro would get smoked any which way you look at it. But in raw 1/4 mile and 0-60 power would it be a drivers race? If the camaro got the 550 that the CTSV got it would have the advantage in power to weight ratio even though it is 600lbs heavier.

I just had the opportunity to drive in a 2008 6 speed manual Ls3 vette and I was BLOWN AWAY. That thing is a beast. I was in a 2007 Auto and they don't even compare. From a strict performance standpoint (forgetting about a back seat, lower insurance, blah blah) what are you thoughts on the 2 cars....

A Corvette will always be cooler than a Camaro.

Originally Posted by CodyC6
Word of advice, and I offer this with all sincerity.

Please buy the car that you want, BEFORE you get married, and in your name only. You WILL NOT regret it.
I would agree with this IF..., you say you already OWN a home and have lots of CASH. I deal every day with, "homeowners", that have a $500,000 house with $650,000 in mortgages on it, they OWN less than nothing. If you OWN your home you have NO mortgage, if you have a mortgage you are a LOANOWNER, hopefully with some equity in the house you make payments on. If you have, say, $500,000 in cash, you will spend, at least, 10% of your cash to buy this Corvette. If you really own your home and have lots of cash, and plan to pay cash for the Corvette, I say ,go for it. Maybe a prenuptial agreement would be a good idea too. Best of luck to you and your new wife.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Always buy the most Z you can get. Z51 is greater than Z28, but Z71 tops them both.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
mblock66
Instructor

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
A Corvette will always be cooler than a Camaro.

I would agree with this IF..., you say you already OWN a home and have lots of CASH. I deal every day with, "homeowners", that have a $500,000 house with $650,000 in mortgages on it, they OWN less than nothing. If you OWN your home you have NO mortgage, if you have a mortgage you are a LOANOWNER, hopefully with some equity in the house you make payments on. If you have, say, $500,000 in cash, you will spend, at least, 10% of your cash to buy this Corvette. If you really own your home and have lots of cash, and plan to pay cash for the Corvette, I say ,go for it. Maybe a prenuptial agreement would be a good idea too. Best of luck to you and your new wife.

Haha well I don't have that kind of $. I owe $200k on a $350k (valued)property . No other debt period. My Legacy is paid in full, got a full ride to college years ago so that isn't debt, and no CC debts. I am a finance guy by trade so I understand money very well.

By the time we are married we should have at least the same in cash in savings as we do in equity in the house (11 months from now). She has no debt either other then 2k on a 2002 VW cabrio that is falling apart lol.

I am super excited for our life together and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I ALWAYS lean on the side of caution with money which is why I am in such a good place now at 30 years old. However I don't want to make a bad or stupid decision by purchasing a vette without knowing what the next 2-3 years will bring. We will be looking to move within 2 years of marriage so say 2011 ish. So the question isn't can I afford it, it is should I "risk" it. I could just about pay cash for a 2008 LS3 now. But being that I have never been married before I really don't what to expect. She spends practically nothing on herself. Not on nails, hair, none of that.

I really want to get the car while I am younger and have fewer responsibilities (i.e. kids, higher ranking job) But since I am so conservative I can never pull the damn trigger..... arg
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mblock66
Haha well I don't have that kind of $. I owe $200k on a $350k (valued)property . No other debt period. My Legacy is paid in full, got a full ride to college years ago so that isn't debt, and no CC debts. I am a finance guy by trade so I understand money very well.

By the time we are married we should have at least the same in cash in savings as we do in equity in the house (11 months from now). She has no debt either other then 2k on a 2002 VW cabrio that is falling apart lol.

I am super excited for our life together and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I ALWAYS lean on the side of caution with money which is why I am in such a good place now at 30 years old. However I don't want to make a bad or stupid decision by purchasing a vette without knowing what the next 2-3 years will bring. We will be looking to move within 2 years of marriage so say 2011 ish. So the question isn't can I afford it, it is should I "risk" it. I could just about pay cash for a 2008 LS3 now. But being that I have never been married before I really don't what to expect. She spends practically nothing on herself. Not on nails, hair, none of that.

I really want to get the car while I am younger and have fewer responsibilities (i.e. kids, higher ranking job) But since I am so conservative I can never pull the damn trigger..... arg
Good. It sounds like she will need a car before you. I'm in finance too, for the last 20 years. Look what's happened in the last week, Indymac has been taken over by the FDIC and Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac are insolvent. This country is in a world of financial hurt. Save your money, as much as you can. These 2008 and 2009 Corvettes arn't going anywhere. Someone will be babying your car and keeping it pristine for you to purchase sometime in the future, and best of all it will keep getting less expensive every year. Hope you and your new wife have a great future.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
yankintx
Pro

Originally Posted by POACHR
the thing about mustangs and camaros is this....they both come in a V6 version which results in everyone and their mom owning one within a few years. do yourself a favor and get the CORVETTE!
I think the Camaro is an awesome looking vehicle and affords the man who needs a "family" car another option. Remeber the Taurus SHO edition of the early to mid 90's ? I currently drive an 08 Vette and drive it because it is a blast to drive. I've also got 3 sons all under the age of 11. WOuld I have considered a Camaro if it was available 3 months ago when I purchased my vette....absoutely. They are both Chevy's afterall.
WHat I will not like about the Camaro is all the cheap 6 cylinder models that will flood the streets within a couple short years, making the car "common"
It's nice to drive my Vette on a weekend and maybe see 1 or 2 more, and not see one every couple of minutes as is with the Mustang and as will most likely be with the Camaro.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:56 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by larvette
Always remember one thing. Theres only one car thats called americas sport car. Its called CORVETTE! Say no more
Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Jeff Pedersen
Burning Brakes

The Vette is the true classic and sports car. But I must say the Camaro has always run a close second. Just think of what a 69 Camaro is worth.

To the guy that stated the Camaro SS may not make it to production. What you been smoking? The Challenger is in the dealer showrooms for a mere 10 minutes and are sold at $10,000 over MSRP yes Ten Grand.

Now if the Camaro can do 1/2 or even 1/4 of that it would be a welocome sight to Chevrolet and their dealerships. The Camaro will be in full production. And at some point a Republican congress will be elected and repeal the new MPG's for automakers. And hopefully drill for the gobs of oil we have in this country.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 PM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yankintx
I think the Camaro is an awesome looking vehicle and affords the man who needs a "family" car another option. Remeber the Taurus SHO edition of the early to mid 90's ? I currently drive an 08 Vette and drive it because it is a blast to drive. I've also got 3 sons all under the age of 11. WOuld I have considered a Camaro if it was available 3 months ago when I purchased my vette....absoutely. They are both Chevy's afterall.
WHat I will not like about the Camaro is all the cheap 6 cylinder models that will flood the streets within a couple short years, making the car "common"
It's nice to drive my Vette on a weekend and maybe see 1 or 2 more, and not see one every couple of minutes as is with the Mustang and as will most likely be with the Camaro.
exactly...and at least the camaro will look good in v6 form. i have owned 2 mustangs, so this post is not biased by any means...i just think in my eyes the retro look of the new mustang looky piggish and wimpy
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the Z-28 will not make the final cut

http://www.leftlanenews.com/camaro-w...8-is-dead.html
Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 AM
DrTre11
Instructor

Here is the thing man...

When you tell somebody you own a Camaro, even a brand new one. They say wow, cool.

When you say you own a brand new Corvette, jaws drop.

I've had this experience countless times. Why? Because it is America's Sportscar and the dream of every boy born in the good ole USA. You can compare specs, but you can't compare the legendary status and fun you'll have with the flags on the hood.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
DrTre11
Instructor

Okay, I gave my opinion on which car. Now, on to whether you should buy or not.

My wife is in finance for a major company. We make smart decisions financially. It is always wise to save, invest, and be smart with your money. However...

You live once.

You wait on the car and you won't get it. Kids discussion will come up, house discussion will come up, next thing you know...you're getting it and you're not so young anymore. I get being smart with money. But I also know you can't take it with you to Heaven.

Once in a great while for a special circumstance, you just go for it. Do what I did, go for it and enjoy moments with it for the rest of your life.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kev1n
Looks like the Z-28 will not make the final cut

http://www.leftlanenews.com/camaro-w...8-is-dead.html

- "now the SS will be the top dog..."

wasn't the SS always considered better than a Z/28?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTre11
Here is the thing man...

When you tell somebody you own a Camaro, even a brand new one. They say wow, cool.

When you say you own a brand new Corvette, jaws drop.

I've had this experience countless times. Why? Because it is America's Sportscar and the dream of every boy born in the good ole USA. You can compare specs, but you can't compare the legendary status and fun you'll have with the flags on the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 LS3 Vette Coupe vs "Top Dog" 2010 Camaro Z/28?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C6NRED
The biggest consideration is going to be if you like the looks of the Camaro as well as the Corvette.......The Camaro has a "backseat" that will at least accept baby seats, so what are your plans in THAT area (and "plans" in that area typically can go wildly off target!!)....With $5 gas on the horizon, it could be a reality that the Camaro SS may never make it to production. The Corvette gets nearly 30 MPG due in big part to how aerodynamic it is -- The Camaro does not look to have that and may get much worse mileage -- maybe in the Dodge Challenger range, which would, I think spell its doom..........
It is truly astonishing that I have a 436+ HP American pushrod V8 underneath the hood of my 08 LS3 and have averaged 31mpg on the highway!

There is not a better high performance true "sports car" in the world with the looks, power and gas sipping economy of the LS3.

With today's ever rising gas prices; I have resigned myself to only install performance modifications that will maintain or increase the current mpg economy of the LS3.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't bet the ranch on the 2010 Z28 Camaro will ever see the streets. With gas prices heading to 5 bucks and beyond it might be the wrong car at the wrong time. It's questionable if GM will even survive the next 2 years at least as we've know it. I suspect the Z28 won't be the only performance car that gets axed as GM falls into survival mode.

I don't believe the next several years are going to be kind to bringing out new performance cars in general......
Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Bulitt
Racer

Don't live for the moment. You are heading into a whole new world of paying for curtains, knicknacks, furniture, clothing. If you think your wife is going to let you keep the Ted Nugent posters on the wall as "decoration" well she didn't. A beer tap isn't considered a kitchen utensil ! Kids will be next and there is no room in a corvette for all three of you. And when kids come your whole world is going to be upside down for the next 20 yrs. And if you are a responsible adult and a good father your family will come first.

Save your money, Invest your money, Save for college and in the future you will have the camaro and the vette or any other car you desire.

Quick Reply: 2009 LS3 Vette Coupe vs "Top Dog" 2010 Camaro Z/28?